Floorstanders Vs. Bookshelfs

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I don't think you understood what I was saying. Personally, I think towers look better in a room as opposed to speakers sitting on stands. I think speaker stands look a little flimsy to me and sometimes doesn't look like the speaker that they are holding. However, I'm willing to forego the superior aesthetics of towers in favor of the savings you get from choosing book shelf speakers over towers. I don't need the extra low end that towers usually provide over book shelf speakers if I plan using sub(s) with my mains crossed over anyway.

Now, I'm only saying that in a situation where I was trying to decide whether to purchase towers over book shelf speakers, if I already owned towers, I would then use them with sub(s). I have used towers in addition to subwoofers.

BTW, I did not mention anything about bad sound. My point is that, if book shelf speakers with subs can give me the same sonic performance as towers, at half the price, why would it be advisable to purchase towers, save for them being more aesthetically pleasing in a room?
I guess I didn’t understand what you were saying, as it was a very short response. The way it read was that towers have no use except for added bass response, and that only the enlightened who choose BS and subs could appreciate quality sound. Normally someone qualifies their statement, as opposed to just making a blanket claim without adding thoughts as to why. Sorry, but it seemed a little condescending. As far as the same sonic performance, I guess we’ll just have to disagree as I don’t find them the same. Although I will say the differences are less so at lower volumes.
One place we do agree is aesthetics. I find towers to be much more elegant.

Care to explain, what exactly do you mean by better dynamics?
To me what that means is, being able to give appropriate weight and scale to instruments, or large impactful sounds in movies. IME bs speakers haven’t proven as capable as larger speakers with more/larger drivers.
Due to the op moving into a bigger space, I still think the uf5 is worth the expensive over another pair of ub5.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Small towers + 1 sub, wall mounted speakers, big towers, 2nd sub added, expensive towers, subs re-amped and EQ'ed ... in that order. And that's the living room HT system. The second system has gone through bookshelves that get reused as HT surrounds eventually. DIY subs got built in there somewhere and finally a sermi serious sub was recently purchased for not much money but there really isn't any room for it. It's a disease.

It makes no difference which you get first, you'll own them all before it's over.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Small towers + 1 sub, wall mounted speakers, big towers, 2nd sub added, expensive towers, subs re-amped and EQ'ed ... in that order. And that's the living room HT system. The second system has gone through bookshelves that get reused as HT surrounds eventually. DIY subs got built in there somewhere and finally a sermi serious sub was recently purchased for not much money but there really isn't any room for it. It's a disease.

It makes no difference which you get first, you'll own them all before it's over.
Agreed. HT room and living room and master bedroom makes 3 systems I’m supporting currently. :) And once you stop caring about things like WAF you have taken the first step... LOL :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis