taranfx

Audiophyte
I have NAD 356BEE amp. I narrowed down my options for speakers to:
- Polk Rti A7 (Rs. 55k) or A9 (Rs.70k)
OR
- PSB Image T6 (Rs. 70k)
OR
- TSI 500 + woofer

My main listening is for Stereo music, and occasional movies in stereo only. I mostly listen to Pop, Rock, House music and Trance and occasionally metal, jazz and dubstep :p

My experience with them was very confusing:
I auditioned A7, T6, TSI 500. A7 piece was out-of-the-box with no run in and sounded totally crap. Recessed mids, no bass but had decent soundstage. TSI 500 had been running in showroom for 2 weeks (6-7 hours running time) and they okay. Vocals and mids were great.
At another place I auditioned PSB Image T6. These blew my mind, from vocals to bass, everything was accurate. But I'm not sure how much they were run-in.

What Speaker would you recommend for great sounding Stereo music and occasional Movies?

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
If you search for Polk on the forum I think you'll find that with a small number of exceptions virtually no one will suggest polk.

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
You thought one speaker sucked, one was ok, and one blew your mind..... And you're asking which one you should get? Haha

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
You thought one speaker sucked, one was ok, and one blew your mind..... And you're asking which one you should get? Haha
I think the crux of the question is - is it possible that speaker break-in plays a role and that the PSB's were more broken in? I believe that the answer is no.

To the OP - Welcome to the forum!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Those Polks may sound better once broken in but the PSBs are designed/built for accuracy so they get my vote.

T

taranfx

Audiophyte
Those Polks may sound better once broken in but the PSBs are designed/built for accuracy so they get my vote.
That's what my doubt is, once broken how are mids, highs and lows on A7 vs. PSB T6?
Lows are not that important, I can add an active woofer later. Mids and high are very important.

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
I demo'd a lot of speakers before I bought the PSB T6s; my vote goes for them as well.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
That's what my doubt is, once broken how are mids, highs and lows on A7 vs. PSB T6?
Lows are not that important, I can add an active woofer later. Mids and high are very important.
Break in or not, it does not get that much better. I am quite sure some of the RTi/RTiA I listened to has quite a few hours on them, and to me they don't sound as good as the PSB.

G

gajenn

Audioholic Intern
I talked for a couple of hours with one of audioaulics folks about which to get, psb or polk. He said when they tested them, during a review session they were 2 of a few tested, some liked psb,some liked polk...it's up to what you like,not fanboys of either...i just went with a rti a9 5 speaker ht set which i got a great deal on new from an authorized dealer. so far I'm liking them a Lot, way more than the b&w 684 HT set I had for a month try out. Way more detail and hearing things I didn't hear with the b&w's..speakers are subjective, I might totally love the psb's if they were here instead, either way you'll be getting really fine speakers.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
The PSB's offer very good performance for the money IMO. I vote PSB's for the win, hands down.

J

Jerrygene

Audiophyte
Since there are people with Polks here I would appreciate some opinions..I have the original LS50's and a pair of RTi70's ..the first for 25 years the second for about a dozen. Just upgraded to an Onkyo TX 5.15 and an Oppo and upon changing them around liked both but find the LS nice and warm BUT what IYHO is more suited for SACD and general CD playback? Are these radical in design from each other..I use the Polk SW111 as well.
What are the merits of each in comparison for my setup...no plans for surround yet. Which set is considered better quality..I listen to a lot of prog,classic rock,jazz....

W

woensl.itis

Audioholic
I don't know about the design, but I have recently been looking at a lot of polk stuff, and i made a thread on this forum about it, as well as checked a couple of other threads here.

Polk is a widely respected brand from what I can tell in the past couple of month's research. Asking around here, it seems like you're either going to get someone saying "go with what sounds good to you," or someone saying basically polk sucks (there was this one guy "Send Margaritas" who just bashes polk pretty much arbitrarily because, from what I can tell, they are too mainstream for him... only reason i mention it is because he took a lot of time to do so).

I am in no way an audiopohile or a huge techy when it comes to speakers, but I listen to music CONSTANTlY and so I care a lot about my speakers. I had RTiA3's and was not thoroughly impressed with them. But then again they were 400 bux MSRP for the pair, which really isn't that expensive, and I had quite possibly the worst room set-up this forum has seen, as well as the left channel on my receiver making white noise.

I can only tell you a little bit about my experience with those.
The first thing was that their break in made a LARGE difference. It was noticeable. I'm not an audiophile, but to me it sounded like the midrange cleared up and there was more responsive low end.

So sorry for just making generalizations.

Basically, my advice is to go look at some serious reviews of each speaker. After I have done so, I can say that polk is a solid brand in MOST departments (definitely not flawless), and respected even among some of the most respected reviewers. Among the "tweak" community, i think they get a lot of hate for being more mainstream.

From what I have heard about the RTiA's in general is that they are more of a powerhouse speaker (as opposed to the detailed LSi's, which after reading MANY MANY reviews and posting here, I have decided to buy).

PSB is a great brand, as well, from only what I have read (haven't hear any, yet).

In the end, I highly doubt you will be unhappy with either.

Also, what kind of jazz do you listen to, because if vocals are something you love in music, this should affect your speaker choice. A lot of reviews of the LSi's I read were particularly impressed with the speakers' performance on vocals. IDK if this holds true throughout polk. In my opinion, Jazz is best listenned to on something on the warmer side. Especially if you listen to a lot of much older recordings. This is just from my experience transcribing and listening. The ride cymbal especially can get a little taxing on the ears at times.

Also, you mentioned prog rock. I used to listen to a LOT of yes. Especially Close to the Edge. I prefered that on a warmer system. Steve Howe's tone, especially, was taxing on my ears on the brighter stuff I hear at friends houses, though I loved him so.

Again, I'm no expert, but I thought I'd try to help. I hope the experts refrain from giving me a whole bunch of crap. (last time I asked if I should get the LSi's, and some dude tried to psychoanalyze me)

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Being a PSB owner and havingheard Polks in a showroom, I would choose PSB over Polk.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis