Floor tower speakers on a shelf???

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
And the reason for that is because the speaker is or will be placed inside a bookcase? That is, anytime you cover three sides plus the top of a speaker you will cause these problems?

I could do this for the mains. That's not a bad idea.
You could also do it for the center. If it's too much in the way, you could just build a shelf that extends from the TV stand. All speakers interact with boundaries, placing a speaker inside of a cubby will mostly effect the midrange and upper bass. The speaker will essentially see a very small "room" with fundamental modes high up around 200-300hz, down into the range of voice, since low frequencies and lower midrange tend to disperse in a more spherical pattern, all of this sound will be bouncing off of the walls of the cubby, amplifying or canceling frequencies at resonance. You'd probably hear this as a boxy, chesty sound.

Sent from my 5065N using Tapatalk

W

Winkleswizard

Audioholic
After much reconfiguration, my HT set up looks a lot like Pogre's. In our living room, my challenge is more like Adam's.

There I use a subsat config and forgo the center. Have used 6 centers and found most of the are difficult to integrate, I eliminated it. I concur that towers should be away from walls, but can say that my satellites are in a shelf unit and are ok for movies and casual music listening.

In any case, would work to get speakers towards front and away from cabinet edges. Also, more importantly, tweeters close to ear level.

Ww

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
And the reason for that is because the speaker is or will be placed inside a bookcase? That is, anytime you cover three sides plus the top of a speaker you will cause these problems?

I could do this for the mains. That's not a bad idea.
Speakers on stands can look very nice. I made my own and I'm no woodworker.

20170327_102942-459x816.jpg

2017-01-13 13.07.52.jpg

Still had a couple from when I was using bookshelf speakers as my mains .

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis