Floor Standing speakers - open shelf

A

ashburn013

Audiophyte
Hi,

We are looking to add some built in shelving by our fireplace and I was thinking about having a long vertical open shelf to put the floor standing speakers rather than keep it closer to the fireplace as currently shown. The shelving would have a long vertical shelf and the normal cabinet next to it. Curious to know if there is going to be major sound interference. The speakers are Polk audio A5.

Would like to get your thoughts.

Thanks.

Attachments

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hi,

We are looking to add some built in shelving by our fireplace and I was thinking about having a long vertical open shelf to put the floor standing speakers rather than keep it closer to the fireplace as currently shown. The shelving would have a long vertical shelf and the normal cabinet next to it. Curious to know if there is going to be major sound interference. The speakers are Polk audio A5.

Thanks.
Putting the speakers into enclosed slot or cubbies will definitely affect the sound, and not for the better. The further that speakers are away from nearby surfaces, the better they can sound, generally. By putting them in a shelved area, you increase diffraction effects which degrade the sound. You also greatly increase loading in low frequencies which can greatly boost bass thereby creating for muddy or boomy low end. The speakers' present positioning in the picture is pretty good as is.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Glad you understood what he was trying to do

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Putting the speakers into enclosed slot or cubbies will definitely affect the sound, and not for the better. The further that speakers are away from nearby surfaces, the better they can sound, generally. By putting them in a shelved area, you increase diffraction effects which degrade the sound. You also greatly increase loading in low frequencies which can greatly boost bass thereby creating for muddy or boomy low end. The speakers' present positioning in the picture is pretty good as is.
Yeah I don’t think he can find a better spot looks fine . Maybe op could try a different angle if needed .
Which brand ,model are those speakers ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
That TV though! Hurts my neck just looking at the pic o_O

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Hi,

Thanks.
Hey is that RTi-a5's? sure looks likem. If so how are you liking them? I have the a5's likem a lot they have a very nice tone to them very sweet midrange also I have the matching center CSi-6 and RTi- a1's for surrounds.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis