Floor Standing Speaker recomendations Under $1500

E

ebrartin

Enthusiast
I am currently in the market to buy a new pair of speakers I have a budget of about 1500 to spend and I would like to get a pair of Bowers & Wilkins floor-standing speakers or tower speakers. I don't want too much brightness or treble. I would like a sound profile that is non fatiguing and a little on the warmer end.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Have a listen if possible and buy them if you like.

B&W has a reputation for being on the bright side - even their 800D flagship tend to be +5dB around 8-10kHz.

But people who love B&W say they don’t think they’re bright at all.

I used to own the B&W 802D2. I didn’t think they sounded bright either. So just depends on the person.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Perhaps JBL Studio 590 or 690s, particularly when they get the deep discount sales they tend to have a coupla times a year. Not a particular fan of B&W tho.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Have a listen if possible and buy them if you like.

B&W has a reputation for being on the bright side - even their 800D flagship tend to be +5dB around 8-10kHz.

But people who love B&W say they don’t think they’re bright at all.

I used to own the B&W 802D2. I didn’t think they sounded bright either. So just depends on the person.
There is no way I would go for B&W if I was after a warmer sound. They might be softer than an extremely bright speaker, but I don't think I have ever heard one that didn't have tipped-up treble.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
In my experience, B&Ws are going to give you a pretty flat, accurate sound that leans toward brighter. Not everyone would call them harsh, but they don't sound like they'll be a fit for what you're saying.

The BMR that was mentioned has exceptionally clean highs that are not fatiguing. Same tweeter that are in my smaller Phils. The BMR is a bit above your budget, but definitely worth your consideration.

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
Really at the end of the day your amplification also plays a part [ large ] in your speaker performance. If your only using an AVR the best // worst speakers are going to sound crap. [ducks for cover]
B & W speakers are very selective on there amplification, Some might say an acquired taste, to get the best performance, Especially with the 800 series. I know of people that have spent an absolute fortune on amp's. and where still not happy with the performance or there top of the range 800 series.

Really with your low budget, I would not even consider B & W, unless your looking at small bookshelf speakers, And while you might consider used / 2nd hand, your also buying there reason for selling in the first place. Regardless of what you end up with if there used, insist you hear them and take notice of what amp;s there using, No audition No sale

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
There is no way I would go for B&W if I was after a warmer sound. They might be softer than an extremely bright speaker, but I don't think I have ever heard one that didn't have tipped-up treble.
Yeah all the B&W seem to measure kind of bright.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
What about Klipsch RP-8000F or are they considered on the bright side?

Q Acoustics 5040 is also in that price range as well as the SVS Prime Tower.

JBL Studio 698 is a little above the Op's budget at $1,700, but given that JBL is known to offer big discounts on a regular basis, I would have those high on my list. Availability might be an issue though.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I am currently in the market to buy a new pair of speakers I have a budget of about 1500 to spend and I would like to get a pair of Bowers & Wilkins floor-standing speakers or tower speakers. I don't want too much brightness or treble. I would like a sound profile that is non fatiguing and a little on the warmer end.
I would second Shady's recommendation on those HECO speakers. They seem very intelligently designed and Shady's measurements indicate incredible value for money in terms of performance at that price point. My only reservation, is that from the pictures the build quality looks to be a below good DIY. For instance at the junction of the sides and top, it looks as if those joints are butt joints and not mitre or dado. Still at that price point you can't have it all.

Matt34

Matt34

Try some Wharfedale Lintons. They are definitely not harsh or bright.
1000000058.jpg

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Which Lintons?
Linton Heritage I would assume. A nice neutral speaker if you like the classic look. On sale on Crutchfield right now so $1274 for the pair (regular $1500) but $1800 if you want their matching stands.

The op did ask for floor standing speakers, though, but if the op wants something on the neutral side these measured great on Erin's channel and are one of his favorites.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Linton Heritage I would assume. A nice neutral speaker if you like the classic look. On sale on Crutchfield right now so $1274 for the pair (regular $1500) but $1800 if you want their matching stands.

The op did ask for floor standing speakers, though, but if the op wants something on the neutral side these measured great on Erin's channel and are one of his favorites.
Was reading a bit about some of the various Lintons, like how the recent 85th anniversary edition was different from previous anniversary editions. No experience myself, never even saw a Wharfedale IRL, just curious....

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
The KEF Q550 is $1500 so falls within the op's budget but I'm surprised they are only rated down to 58Hz. My bookshelves go deeper than that. You have to move up the KEF line to get more bass extension but the op has not stated whether a subwoofer will be used or not.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis