Floor Standing Speaker Build..

M

Missionman

Junior Audioholic
Ok guys

Had a shot at building my own speakers..
For my first time, i am very happy with the outcome..
Had a few slip ups along the way, as half way through building i noticed the company i got to cut my wood, had actually cut a couple of bits 1/2" short of what i asked, but i overcome that easily. Which will be pointed out...

Now, excuse the mess of the house in the background, i have only lived here for just over a week, as me and my fiance split up...

OK, firstly, got the rear pieces of MDF, and started putting in support pieces, like i have done through out the whole speaker, nothing wrong with extra strength..

Here i have added some internal braces, that i cut out myself..

These braces are what was cut 1/2" too short, but will point it out where you can see it better in a later picture...

Nothing special here, just glueing side panels.

You may see the 1/2" gap between the internal bracing, and the side panel, which is the top panel in this picture.. But since the miscut is 1/2" and the MDF i am using is 1/2", it worked out ok, just glued a piece in its place..

OK, so now the sides are on, this is how it looks

Filled her up with 1" thick wool lining.. (now i am currently struggling for money, so had to make do with what i could get.. I actually got hold of an old Duvet, and ripped the wool lining out of it.. And it actually works perfectly..

Front baffle time. 2x 6.5" Bass Driver Holes, i havent got done the tweeter holes yet, as i need to recieve these and measure it up.. I cut the holes by hand with a jigsaw, dont have fancy tools like a router, but im happy with how the holes came out..

Front glued on, and just slipped some old 6.5" kenwood drivers that i had sitting round, to see how it all pans out..

I also cut out the port holes in the back and fitted some 4cm ports.. but unfortunately i forgot to take a picture of this haha..

Both speakers are now built up, but nowhere near finished..
I am going to be fitting the cabinets with Peerless Drivers and Ribbon Tweeters.. get some terminals for the them, build the crossovers etc etc..

The cabinets them selves are no where near done.. Next up is a nice sanding down, and wood fill all the joins so that they are not visible..
Then i want to get a friend to cut me out some speaker surroundings with his router, and fit them in place to where the bass driver holes are, as the drivers and tweeters will be given a 3D effect and raised 1/2" off the facing.

Then i will be getting some nice veneer, and staining it deep cheery red looking, with black driver surroundings

Oh aswell as sanding the front panel edges rounded

Got loads left to do, but no rush, want to get them perfect...

More to come

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for all the pictures and descriptions!

Also, condolences (or maybe it's congratulations...depends on why) on splitting up. Is she looking for her old duvet? :D

M

Missionman

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for all the pictures and descriptions!

Also, condolences (or maybe it's congratulations...depends on why) on splitting up. Is she looking for her old duvet? :D
Yeah defo a congratulations mate :D
4 years of hell i had with her, glad to be out of it...

Next up, Sanding edges rounded, and sanding all joints perfectly smooth, and maybe fill them with wood filler and sand down so the joints are no longer visible :D Depends how much i can get done tonight though, as it is 7.56pm

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis