R

Redbone

Audioholic
hello, I have a Hsu STF2 subwoofer. When calibrating it with the Warble tones provided by Hsu I noticed the lower octives where very low especially around 31.5Hz which was about 10dB lower than the average test frequency range. I was also told that this sub could go down to 25Hz but in my room I hear nothing at 25Hz and notice the first bass around 31.5Hz?

Can anyone suggest an inexpensive Eq that works well for sub leveling?? Or any remedy to this problem. I have my receiver crossed over at 60hz from the Main speakers, as they go down to 55Hz.

Wid

Wid

Audioholic
Have you contacted Hsu about your concerns ? This would be the first thing I would do.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Welcome to room nodes. Placement is key for Getting the low notes to show through.

That being said, where is it placed?

SheepStar

R

Redbone

Audioholic
Its on the side of the couch sort of like an end table across the room from the TV and main speakers. Dr. Hsu told me to put it There. I would say it is about two feet away from the back wall.

Perhaps I should corner load this thing or move it much closer to the wall?? Please advise.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
try a front corner. Then rear. I would never put a sub beside myself, purely because it is so easy to locate the sound. Atleast in my setup.

SheepStar

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Get your knee pads ready Redbone, because you're gonna go on a crawling adventure! Assuming you have a long enough sub cable, put your subwoofer at the listening position and start playing some music with good bass content or some test tones. Then, get down and start crawling around, listening for where the bass sounds best. When you find this spot, relocate the subwoofer to it. Try running test tones again. If you still get suck-outs at certain frequencies, try moving the sub around some more. An EQ is only useful to destroy peaks, trying to EQ nulls will only make the situation worse.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
jaxvon said:
Get your knee pads ready Redbone, because you're gonna go on a crawling adventure! Assuming you have a long enough sub cable, put your subwoofer at the listening position and start playing some music with good bass content or some test tones. Then, get down and start crawling around, listening for where the bass sounds best. When you find this spot, relocate the subwoofer to it. Try running test tones again. If you still get suck-outs at certain frequencies, try moving the sub around some more. An EQ is only useful to destroy peaks, trying to EQ nulls will only make the situation worse.
Everytime I hear put on some knee pads, The last thing I think about is a bass hunting adventure. :eek:

But, Good point. This is a sure fire method to finding the best possibloe location for your subwoofer. But there are certain spots that work in every room.

SheepStar

Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
Sheep said:
Everytime I hear put on some knee pads, The last thing I think about is a bass hunting adventure. :eek:
SheepStar
Im afraid to ask...TOO MANY JOKES!!!

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Mr. Lamb Fries said:
Im afraid to ask...TOO MANY JOKES!!!
As was my whole statement ;)

I used ot work at a semi trailor shop, and when anyone had knee pads on, they were the butt end of every joke.

SheepStar

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis