Fixing the Bass in Your Room - Adding a Powered Subwoofer

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
It's a good thing we have so many guys in here advising the author of loudspeaker placement, because the author, an industry veteran loudspeaker expert, would surely have no idea of the behavior and acoustic effects of loudspeaker placement or of the compromises involved in their chosen placement. It's like watching random guys off the street giving Lewis Hamilton tips on driving.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
It's a good thing we have so many guys in here advising the author of loudspeaker placement, because the author, an industry veteran loudspeaker expert, would surely have no idea of the behavior and acoustic effects of loudspeaker placement or of the compromises involved in their chosen placement. It's like watching random guys off the street giving Lewis Hamilton tips on driving.
Who' s thread is this again? and why do AVR's have room correction management in the first place? :)

D

dudeu812

Audiophyte
Gene,
After reading your other article on the Legacy Signature SEs and now this article, I would be curious if you think you would have still needed the subwoofer in the new room if you had opted for the larger Focus SE speakers instead of the Signature SEs. I ask because I'm trying to decide between the two Legacy models and I have a similar room size layout as your main living area where the speakers are now. I was originally concerned that maybe the Focus might produce too much bass. But, now after reading this article, it sounds like I might be justified in wanting the larger drivers for proper bass support. Just curious if in hindsight you would have opted for the Focus given what you know now?

Last edited:
M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Untreated rooms don't sound great. Untreated rooms using drywall sound pretty awful.
That's an artifact of over-tech. The decorator trend towards the sterile, clinical aesthetic, over cozy, functional/livable. The same would hold true of an empty room with wood walls too, and even multi layer plaster, to a slightly lesser (or different, at least) extent.

The current trend of decor with say, two channel enthusiasts, shows an empty room amps/separates arranged on the floor just so , speakers, and one or two seats in what amounts to an oversized room for even 6 listeners, and a centrally located, token rug.

Once you add in sufficient clutter to make the room actually inviting, acoustics change. My listening room is @ 12' x 20' with drywall over concrete. Has a sofa and a love seat, desk, tables, chairs, books, vinyl records, multiple pairs of speakers in rotation, and a rather fluid assortment of life items on any given day. Add 2-3 people, and it ends up just about perfect.

Most noticeable improvement from one moment to the next? Adding wall-to-wall padded carpet, and again when moving the furniture back into the room. If you have music playing while the work is being done, you can actually hear an incremental, not-so-subtle difference, as it occurs. I will never have a critical listening room without substantial and abundant padding, ever again.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
Who' s thread is this again? and why do AVR's have room correction management in the first place? :)
lol So TRUE. If they have and use. My room correction is per the AVR Mic and is let alone. Sounds perfect. Do you need to be an Engineer?? Are your ears 20/20?? May have to try different speaker positions and use AVR correction Mic.......if have or not. Or a scientist?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis