M

MLadia

Audioholic Intern
Hi guys. I ran REW. Honestly I am not sure if my settings are correct.. one thing I noticed is that the levels are so high. Did I have to calibrate SPL? I ran them at 0 db ref from my Denon.
Please be kind and let me know what I missed and can improved. Attached from REW. Thank you.

1599595812972.png

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
It looks fine to me. One thing you can do to get a slightly better look is to trim some of the low end off your X-axis. The stuff below 20 Hz doesn't make a difference. I would trim the axis to start at 20 Hz if you are measuring speakers, and maybe 10 Hz if you are measuring subwoofers. Your microphone probably isn't good enough to get you anything reliable under 10 Hz, not that anyone can hear that low anyway.

M

MLadia

Audioholic Intern
It looks fine to me. One thing you can do to get a slightly better look is to trim some of the low end off your X-axis. The stuff below 20 Hz doesn't make a difference. I would trim the axis to start at 20 Hz if you are measuring speakers, and maybe 10 Hz if you are measuring subwoofers. Your microphone probably isn't good enough to get you anything reliable under 10 Hz, not that anyone can hear that low anyway.
Thank you for your quick response. I will def do that. Why do you think the sound level is so high? I thought I set it at 85.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thank you for your quick response. I will def do that. Why do you think the sound level is so high? I thought I set it at 85.
However high you think you set the sound level at, some point in the gain stage is boosting it higher. OR your recording sensitivity is set higher than the actual SPLs. Either way, the shape of the response is what is more of interest than the level. Just make sure the test tone levels are not so loud that compression could be affecting the recorded response.

M

MLadia

Audioholic Intern
However high you think you set the sound level at, some point in the gain stage is boosting it higher. OR your recording sensitivity is set higher than the actual SPLs. Either way, the shape of the response is what is more of interest than the level. Just make sure the test tone levels are not so loud that compression could be affecting the recorded response.
Thank you once again. Apparently, I should have (For Windows 10) set a microphone gain to 80%, or +9.4dB. I did not do that.. Anybody else see how I can tweak with Audyssey? I have not bought the MiniDSP yet. I only have the mic.

Last edited:
M

MLadia

Audioholic Intern
Thought I would close the loop and show my progress. Here is the graph of my lowly Daytons Sub1200 and a small Jamo sub.

Apr27 pic.jpg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis