First sound system build nearly complete

• Thread starter Speedy-Sprocket
  • Start date
S

Speedy-Sprocket

Audiophyte
Very first audio build. Used to build computers fo a living so this was a natural segway I guess. I figure it will always be a work in progress so i'd like to get some feedback on what you think of it and what I might want to upgrade/improve at some point in the future. Sony speakers will be getting replaced eventually.

Yamaha RX-V863 400w A/V receiver
2ch Stereo Configuration
x2 Klipsch 12" reference subwoofers
x1 Logitech Z623 130w 8" subwoofer
x1 Klipsch RC-62 II center speaker
x2 Sony speakers for L and R (temp)
x2 Logitech THX satellite speakers

Purpose:
1) Media streaming
2) audio only for now
3) to piss off the neighbors :p

1680656172892.png

1680656267704.png

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Very first audio build. Used to build computers fo a living so this was a natural segway I guess. I figure it will always be a work in progress so i'd like to get some feedback on what you think of it and what I might want to upgrade/improve at some point in the future. Sony speakers will be getting replaced eventually.

2ch Stereo Configuration

Purpose:
1) Media streaming
2) audio only for now

View attachment 61242

View attachment 61243
whats that big speaker to the left of your system beside a sub ??
We’re are the surrounds ? At? Model
Looks good those were some of the biggest sony shelf speakers made I think . I got the smaller duel woofer ones in my basement set up. Even if you’rs are temporary you got a decent starter system. I run Klipsch icon towers in my main system .
F2782608-E1AE-4FC0-91B4-66A8EE5888AA.jpeg
C67CA7D8-D162-4688-AA5A-984B74CE8662.jpeg

Last edited:
-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
@Speedy-Sprocket , Welcome to the Forum. For a first build, it certainly is an interesting assembly of components. The Yamaha RX-V863 AVR was top of the line in 2008.

I'll try to help you with the layout, based on the photos. Try to put the Sony Speakers on stands so the tweeters are at ear height when you are seated, and try to have them at least 6-8 feet apart. You should notice an immediate improvement. (They appear too low mounted on the Klipsch Subs.) Are you using a "Y" splitter to feed the Klipsch SUBs via the RCA output on the AVR? (I wouldn't bother with the Logitech Z623 as it's for a PC, and not worth trying to integrate here.) If you want more low bass move the Subs towards (or in) the front corners of the room. I'm assuming the Logitech THX satellite speakers are part of the "combo" with the Logitech Z623 Sub. I have used a similar Logitech system on a Gamer Box (computer) I built for my son. (Yes, I build and repair PCs for family and close friends.) That Logitech speaker system has a built in amplifier in the Sub, which also powers the satellite speakers - via RCA plugs if my memory is correct. Those won't work with the AVR. So if you are eventually going to a 5.2 Home Theater system, you should be looking for better surround speakers. (Try Craigslist, Thrift Shops, Marketplace, etc. if cost is an issue.) Like the Sony's, the Klipsch center channel speaker is too low. Again try to get it to ear level, and not on top of the AVR, as it needs good air flow for cooling.

I hope this is helpful.

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
A couple of small points, Firstly spread things out, Get those small speakers on stands, and mount those sub's well away from the front speakers, and lastly buy yourself a large rug..

We’re are the surrounds ?
The OP has said it's only a Audio system for now,..

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Interesting PC / Server specs, not current but probably overkill for just streaming Audio. You don't mention what video card you are using but I'd suggest you go from it via HDMI to the DVD input on the AVR. Then out of the AVR into your monitor. That way you will get the best audio quality. Especially if you ever want to play a Blu-ray image / disk from your PC.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I agree with those who have recommended speaker stands and better stereo placement. Also, do not put anything on top of subwoofers. Subs vibrate a bit when in action. Where you put them isn't as important as where you put the stereo speaker pair. The low frequencies are not very directional. Enjoy the music.

S

Speedy-Sprocket

Audiophyte
whats that big speaker to the left of your system beside a sub ??
Its a portable speaker/subwoofer combo. Not hooked up to the main system, but could be easily enough.

Not sure how this happened exactly, or even if this was the setting that did it, but I'm pretty sure experimenting last night tightened up the subwoofer response by a substantial margin. Only thing I did, that I can confirm, is that I made a change to the AVR unit to "disable" the center speaker.

Immediately, the bass sounds clear and substantially better than before, can anyone confirm that this would even have an effect on subwoofer synchronicity? As far as I can remember, this is the only setting I changed. But I cant see how they could be connected.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
You will find with an AVR that you can get several different types of sound profiles. With the center turned off, dialogue will be fed to the main L+R speakers and create a phantom center channel effect. As the Sonys will have a different sound from your Klipsch center you will notice a change. The difference could be in the mid bass and not necessarily the subwoofer as most subs are crossed over around 80 Hz. Depends on your AVR settings and how loud or soft the center was set in comparison to the mains.

Music can be played in 2 channel mode, Dolby PL-II simulated surround or other surround modes that use all 5 channels. Each will sound different and it can be fun to experiment. Surround modes will tend to make the sound stage sound wider with some instruments off to the side, but 2 channel mode will yield a more traditional stereo sound. I tend to prefer 2-channel for music but there are some excellent surround tracks out there as well. For movies, having the center channel on will usually improve the intelligibility of dialogue. Some small adjustments can help. For example, you have the center speaker set back and the sound will reflect off of the table top creating some interference. It's usually preferred to have the center moved forward in line with the front edge of the table or cabinet but I understand the desire to have room for the keyboard.

S

Speedy-Sprocket

Audiophyte
Interesting PC / Server specs, not current but probably overkill for just streaming Audio. You don't mention what video card you are using but I'd suggest you go from it via HDMI to the DVD input on the AVR. Then out of the AVR into your monitor. That way you will get the best audio quality. Especially if you ever want to play a Blu-ray image / disk from your PC.
sorry I missed this. It has a Radeon RX 5700 XT Gaming X 8GB GPU

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
I like those Sony speakers. Peace and goodwill.

D

diwit

Audioholic Intern

2ch Stereo Configuration

Purpose:
1) Media streaming
2) audio only for now
concrete floor grinder Los Angeles
View attachment 61242

View attachment 61243
Congratulations on your first audio build! It's great to see your enthusiasm for creating a customized audio setup. Based on the components you've mentioned, here are some thoughts and suggestions:

1. Receiver: The Yamaha RX-V863 is a solid choice for an A/V receiver with good power output. However, since you mentioned that you are currently using a 2-channel stereo configuration, you may consider upgrading to a receiver that is specifically designed for stereo audio if you prioritize audio quality over home theater features.
  2. Subwoofers: Having two Klipsch 12" reference subwoofers and one Logitech Z623 8" subwoofer should provide you with powerful bass performance. However, make sure to properly calibrate and position the subwoofers in your listening space to achieve balanced and accurate bass reproduction.
  3. Center Speaker: The Klipsch RC-62 II center speaker is a solid choice, as it will enhance dialogue clarity and improve the overall soundstage for movies and TV shows. It's a good idea to have a matching center speaker from the same brand as your main speakers for better tonal consistency.
  4. Main Speakers: You mentioned that the Sony speakers will be replaced eventually. Upgrading your main speakers can significantly impact the overall audio quality and clarity. Consider investing in high-quality speakers that match your listening preferences and room size. It's always recommended to audition speakers before making a purchase to find the ones that suit your taste.
  5. Satellite Speakers: The Logitech THX satellite speakers can serve as surround or rear speakers for your audio setup. While they may work fine for casual listening, if you prioritize audio fidelity, you may want to consider upgrading to higher-quality satellite speakers that provide better imaging and detail.
  6. Media Streaming: Since media streaming is one of your main purposes, consider exploring dedicated media streaming devices or network audio players that offer higher audio quality and support for various streaming services and formats. These devices can enhance your streaming experience and provide more flexibility.
Remember, audio setups are subjective, and your personal preferences play a crucial role. It's a good idea to keep experimenting, fine-tuning, and upgrading components over time to further enhance your audio enjoyment. Enjoy your audio journey and happy listening!

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai

2ch Stereo Configuration

Purpose:
1) Media streaming
2) audio only for now

View attachment 61242

View attachment 61243
@Speedy-Sprocket
Welcome to the AH ! There's a ton of good help and ideas here. The trick is to take a deep breath, relax, and enjoy the flood of opinions.

If I had to show you my first system build, well, I'd be embarrassed after seeing yours. Good job and putting together something that should work pretty well.

The most obvious ideas have been covered: spead it out a bit and get those speakers on some stands,
Also, since bass frequencies are largely location transparent, you don't have to have your subs up front.
You may find that by doing something called the "sub crawl" you will get better bass response at the listening position by moving them somewhere else in the room. Not a big deal and not a high priority here at the beginning of your journey.

Enjoy.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic

2ch Stereo Configuration

Purpose:
1) Media streaming
2) audio only for now

View attachment 61242

View attachment 61243
Looks like a great start. You’ve received a lot of good advice. Agree with auditioning the new speakers you get at home with no charge if you have to return. If you use a local stereo store they can give you a couple of weeks to a month. Best Buy is 15 days unless it’s Black Friday to the end of the year timeframe. Make sure you don’t get hit with restocking fees. Arendal, Polk, SVS and others will ship for free and pay to ship them pack if you’re not satisfied and give you from 45-60 days to try at home. Don’t worry if you try, return and then find those were the best. You can always order again. if your experience is like mine you’re startIng a musical journey and your hunt for what sounds and looks best in your home has just begun. Enjoy!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis