First setup: Klipsch RB-5 ii or JBL e60's

ensitmike

ensitmike

Audioholic Intern
I actually already own both. I got a great deal on them, but now I just have to choose. I know the first thought is just listen for which is best, but I don't have an ear yet and don't know what I would be listening for.

Are either of them just technically better speakers?

also, these will be paired with a Klipsch KSW-10 subwoofer and a Yamaha HTR-5990

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I actually already own both. I got a great deal on them, but now I just have to choose. I know the first thought is just listen for which is best, but I don't have an ear yet and don't know what I would be listening for.

Are either of them just technically better speakers?

also, these will be paired with a Klipsch KSW-10 subwoofer and a Yamaha HTR-5990
You should as they sound completely different. If it's a music only system you may find the Klipsch to bright for extended listening sessions.

ensitmike

ensitmike

Audioholic Intern
You should as they sound completely different. If it's a music only system you may find the Klipsch to bright for extended listening sessions.
Thank you for the response. Unfortunately I went to test them with a receiver I picked up today but was met by a loud buzz which stopped me in my tracks. Started a new thread about it here. Will have to sort that out before choosing speakers.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I appreciate this as a valid concern. If you spent all of your life (thus far) listening to music piped over Walmart PA system (or whatever), you could easily be wooed by the extra bass of speaker XYZ only to discover later that the midrange is not as clear as it would be on other speakers that cost the same!
I have a suggestion - get a decent set of headphones and use them as a reference to compare your speakers against. (see what I did there? You thought you had already bought everything and I just gave you a viable reason to spend more!)
Tell us your budget for headphones and we'll give you some suggestions, but generally Sennheiser makes fine headphones across the budget range!
Even though I have some very nice speakers and spend about 7 hours/week playing in jazz bands, I still go to my headphones on occasion to determine if a problem is due to the speaker or the recording!

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thank you for the response. Unfortunately I went to test them with a receiver I picked up today but was met by a loud buzz which stopped me in my tracks. Started a new thread about it here. Will have to sort that out before choosing speakers.
Yeah get the comparison done first. Your ears are probably fine untrained, few get hearing training for audio. Preference works!

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Unless it's an insane deal on high end speakers, request an audition. Don't worry about bringing your own electronics as they are a small link in the chain..

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
The JBL is a tower and the Klipsch is a bookshelf .... for mainly music, I would favor the JBL, the Klipsch RB bookshelf is a little harsh sounding ... but it is about your ears and preference

ensitmike

ensitmike

Audioholic Intern
The JBL is a tower and the Klipsch is a bookshelf .... for mainly music, I would favor the JBL, the Klipsch RB bookshelf is a little harsh sounding ... but it is about your ears and preference
Good to know. Thank you. You're the second person to mention they are a little harsh.

That said, this will be purely for stereo music. Using the surround connections for bi-amping.

Once I get a functional receiver I'll just have to test them both I guess.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Forget the bi-amping with an avr, just a waste of wire and mostly bullshit marketing.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis