First Home Theater Guidance

M

MarckSGT

Audiophyte
Hello Everyone

I am looking to pull the trigger on my first home theater. I have spent the last few weeks reading the hell out of Audioholics to get spun up on everything that is out there. I have come to what I think would work for me and my budget.
First, I really need help with the AVR. I am about 90% sure I will never exceed 5.2 for my home theater. This is due just to the money and time involved to go further. I have been eyeballing the new Marantz 1510, but the 50W channel has me second guessing myself. Hey, it may be just fine, or maybe it would need an amp, or maybe you think im crazy for considering it.
Here is the rest of what I am looking at. Please, feel free to tear it apart, but please provide me something to go on. Thanks for the help
Pinnacle or Ultra Towers
Pinnacle or Ultra center
Pinnacle or Ultra surround
2X PB2000 Pro/ 1X PB3000 (for now, will look at a second in the future if needed)

*room is approx. 22X15 in basement, with 7'8" ceiling
*budget is +/- 5k

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Do you particularly like the form factor (slim) of the 1510 or just that it's limited to 5.1 audio? The cost for going for a unit that can process more even if you don't use it now may be competitive price-wise....and having more than 50wpc can be nice, as can a full set of pre-outs for flexibility in amplification (altho the 1510 does have pre-outs on the L/R channels for some flexibility aside from sub). It would be a larger unit, tho....

I'd suggest you take advantage of SVS' free home trial periods to decide which of their gear you might like best.

M

MarckSGT

Audiophyte
Do you particularly like the form factor (slim) of the 1510 or just that it's limited to 5.1 audio? The cost for going for a unit that can process more even if you don't use it now may be competitive price-wise....and having more than 50wpc can be nice, as can a full set of pre-outs for flexibility in amplification (altho the 1510 does have pre-outs on the L/R channels for some flexibility aside from sub). It would be a larger unit, tho....

I'd suggest you take advantage of SVS' free home trial periods to decide which of their gear you might like best.
I like both aspects of the 1510 you mentioned. I just ask myself why I should pony up for a bigger receiver. A friend of mine offered up a Denon X3300W, could go that way.
I did read up on Audioholics recommended 5.2 system, but it was written in 2014.
I will take advantage of SVS's trial period for sure. I have listened to them, and they sound great to me movie wise. I will be about 95% movies/games for my eventual system.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I run 7.1 or .2 ch In a tiny bedroom. Your definitely going to need a mid to high end amplifier if you want to justify spending so much on speakers and subs.
Don’t buy a 5ch throw away amplifier...
Don’t know if bi amping does anything but you can try .

Reptilians invading in year 2025
Tesla spoken to them

Last edited:
Darenwh

Darenwh

Audioholic
I would strongly consider the 3300 for no other reason than that if you are not going to put atmos overhead speakers in then there is little reason for a newer receiver and in that situation I very much suspect a better quality slightly older receiver will be better than a new but under powered receiver. An older higher end receiver that will do all you need for now is likely a better way to go than a newer receiver just for the newer Atmos capability. Atmos, from what I understand, does not really come into it's own until you have overhead speakers.

Also, if you are doing work that will include on the ceiling and it will be sealed later (such as in a basement) then at least run the cabling for the overhead speakers (4 recommended) as it is not expensive to do so and this will likely pay big dividends if you decide to go to a .4 atmos setup some time in the future. If the overhead is an attic with easy access anyways it does not matter as you can run these later if needed.

With the above you could complete your theater room, use it as is for the next five years, then buy a new or used 'Atmos' capable receiver and just cut the holes and mount the speakers (wires would already be there) when you want to go with Atmos.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis