First decent headphones

whitey019

whitey019

Enthusiast
I'm a long time audiophile, the type that sits in the dark and listens to music, and have a modest system comprised of Paradigm Studio 100s, 590, 20s (v.5) driven by a Anthem amplification and I contemplating getting a good set of headphones so that I can listen away from main system. Right now I've narrowed my choices down to two, Grado SR325e and Audio-Technica ATH-50x, but I'm having trouble deciding which way I want to go for my first attempt at this. I realize they are different, open/closed back, and that is part of the dilemma. I love my Paradigms for their open live sound and great imaging and I would like to duplicate this experience as much as possible. I'd like people's opinions on the positives and negatives of these two headphones so that it may help me make a decision. I'm not really concern about the cost difference between the two, but I don't want to go higher than the Grados at this time. Also, at this time I'm not interested in anything that requires and separate headphone amplifier.

Concerns:
Grado - Uncomfortable, open back (noise pollution both ways)
Audio-Technica - Just not the sound quality that I'm looking for

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Why are you between these 2 headphones? Both are on-ear design and they are not really comfort to use for long periods. Out of those 2 I would pick Grados for better sound quality. How ever I would suggest you to take a look at Sennheiser HD600 and Beyerdynamic Dt 990 as they offer amazing sound and comfort for the price range they are in.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I've found that comfort ranks right up there with great sound.
If the sound emanating from the outside of open back cans isn't an issue, IMO try open back.
I find Grado's are very nice sounding, however not much in the area of comfort.
Markw steered me toward Sennheiser. They pass both the 'sound great' and 'comfort' tests.
http://www.head-fi.org/products/category/over-ear/sennheiser

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Not huge of ATH-m50x (pro version) , but I am NOT huge fan of ATH-m50 - Imo they are overly bassy and not as accurate of bunch of others
If you don't mind AKG (made in China) - Get these http://www.amazon.com/AKG-Signature-Reference-Class-Premium-Headphones/dp/B004444OFK/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1416678922&sr=1-2&keywords=AKG K701
If you want the proper made in Austria - a much pricier 65y anniv edition
I forgot to add AKG Q701 on the list myself, they are pretty close to sound quality of HD600 / DT 990 but lack the comfort that these two offer.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
like the expression goes, comfort is in eye of the wearer - not every head/ear are same ergo comfort level WILL vary

VMAT4

VMAT4

Enthusiast
I'll suggest the NAD VISO HP-50. Just because it's in the $300 price range and supposedly has an "open" sound for a closed headphone. it gets good reviews.

whitey019

whitey019

Enthusiast
tyhjaarpa:
The HD600 was on my list initially, but I've read that it really requires and headphone amp, which I'd rather not deal with. I just want to plug them into what ever device I have and go.

VMAT4:
I'll check out the NADs

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa:
The HD600 was on my list initially, but I've read that it really requires and headphone amp, which I'd rather not deal with. I just want to plug them into what ever device I have and go.

VMAT4:
I'll check out the NADs
Beyerdynamic Dt 990 is then worth a try as they have 32 ohm version that every device can run. Or DT 880 if you want semi closed design, DT 770 if fully closed design. Open design of DT 990 would provide best sound tho.

Armandhammer

Armandhammer

Audioholic Intern
Add the g-cushions to the Grados. Turns them into over the ears, improves sound, and the comfort is great.

whitey019

whitey019

Enthusiast
As I often do in situations like this.....I bought both. The m50x sound pretty good, but I was wondering what the 325e's would sound like.....so I bought them too. The Grados haven't arrived yet. I'll update in a few days.

Armandhammer: I was looking at the EarZonk G's and will probably try those.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
I actually got a pair of the ATH-50x for my portables for Xmas. I like the way they sound, but they do clamp down on your noggin pretty good.

I also own the 701s. I you're going to be sedentary, as in not moving around while you're listening, then I'd go with the AKGs.

DJ

Armandhammer

Armandhammer

Audioholic Intern
Never heard of the EarZonks but it's nice to see a decently priced replacement. Try them with the stock cushions and the g-cushes. I think you'll like the g-cushes. They help with the bass and sound stage which are both not something Grado is known for but IMO they also help cut the sharpness a little as well. The 325's are known as being pretty bright. A warm amp can help but what I found was that modding them helps improve them overall tremendously. With mine, I removed the buttons, removed the plastic sleeve inside, punched the fabric covering over the driver, and added some Dynamat to the back of the magnet. Huge huge improvements. The next biggest improvement I made was buying a pair of RS1's...lol...those are simply a dream.

A little tip with your g-cushes...get some warm water and add some fabric softener and give them a soak and rinse. Helps to soften them a little.

Armandhammer

Armandhammer

Audioholic Intern
I actually got a pair of the ATH-50x for my portables for Xmas. I like the way they sound, but they do clamp down on your noggin pretty good.

I also own the 701s. I you're going to be sedentary, as in not moving around while you're listening, then I'd go with the AKGs.

DJ
The 701's are probably the most comfy headphone I've had but they sound dead. Very boring. I owned mine for about a month. They were well broken in. They just didn't have anything to offer. Sold them off and never looked back.

Armandhammer

Armandhammer

Audioholic Intern
Never heard of the EarZonks but it's nice to see a decently priced replacement. Try them with the stock cushions and the g-cushes. I think you'll like the g-cushes. They help with the bass and sound stage which are both not something Grado is known for but IMO they also help cut the sharpness a little as well. The 325's are known as being pretty bright. A warm amp can help (do know that they NEED an amp) but what I found was that modding them helps improve them overall tremendously. With mine, I removed the buttons, removed the plastic sleeve inside, punched the fabric covering over the driver, and added some Dynamat to the back of the magnet. Huge huge improvements. The next biggest improvement I made was buying a pair of RS1's...lol...those are simply a dream.

A little tip with your g-cushes...get some warm water and add some fabric softener and give them a soak and rinse. Helps to soften them a little.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis