There is some good stuff in here.

Playstation Universe

Firmware 1.9 Released in Japan: Wallpapers
Added on 23/07/2007.

The 1.90 Firmware update just hit Japanese PS3s. Here are the features:

• Ability to rearrange games on the XMB
• Option menu now includes "eject disk"
• Press triangle to eject games/CDs/movies in the XMB
• XMB backgrounds --- Ultimate PS3 Wallpaper Guide! (Click Here)
• Change the folder classification
• Emoticons
• Change CD output to 44.1/88.2/176.4kHz
Force 24Hz output for Blu-ray over HDMI
• Change PS3 video settings in-game
• "Bit Mapping" in the "Music Setting"
• Save AVCHD type animations from a Memory Stick
• Change settings like upscaling while playing PS and PS2 games
• Add bookmarks
• Web browser security function in the browser's tool section
• Avatar moves during audio visual chat
:D:D

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I go out of town for a couple days and everything changes! These look like some good changes, glad to see Sony is on top of things still :). I just hope they fixed my damn handshake issue!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Interesting. I wonder when it will hit here? I checked last night and there was nothing new.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I read it was supposed to be coming tonight, but no one was quiet sure. Although it is confirmed the Heavenly Sword demo is coming on thursday.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'm buying that one too most likely....still waiting for Stranglehold.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Still no 720-to-1080 upscaling. You suck Sony.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Looks like the new firmware is out and ready to be installed. No need to plug in the controller anymore too :).

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It never came up for me, and I was on late last night...and I won't be home until late tonight.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I think they released everything early morening as I downloaded it this morning when I got up.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
dummy shield on ...

ok, I keep seeing you guys updating your PS3 with the firmwares that I thought the PS3 had built in wireless connectivity. so I tried to connect to the net on PS3. doh! I discovered that there was an RJ45 port at the back ... is it as simple as connecting a wireless lan thingymajig to that port to connect to my wireless network and internet?

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
one last question, I kinda forgot to turn off my PS3 for 24 hours. it didn't have any disc inside, the fan at the back was still running ...

did I do it any damage? anybody play that long?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You don't need to connect anything for wireless, thus the name: wireless :) You just need to go into the configuration and have it detect your wireless network (for which you will need the security info, WEP key or whatever your router uses). You can also do wired just by plugging it in.

I've left mine on for a whole weekend so it could do some folding without issue. Should be fine, though I wouldn't watch a movie right after having it on for that long.

When there is an update, it tells you that it is available and actually won't let you log into the network (you can still use the PS3) until you update.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
You don't need to connect anything for wireless, thus the name: wireless :) You just need to go into the configuration and have it detect your wireless network (for which you will need the security info, WEP key or whatever your router uses). You can also do wired just by plugging it in.

I've left mine on for a whole weekend so it could do some folding without issue. Should be fine, though I wouldn't watch a movie right after having it on for that long.

When there is an update, it tells you that it is available and actually won't let you log into the network (you can still use the PS3) until you update.
so the PS3 really is wireless?

because when I tried to let it detect my network, it couldn't ... i think my network is passwordless ... do I still need a WEP key or something?

the server/router is just in the next room, I can use my laptop all over the house, so I doubt distance or signal degredation is the problem ...

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
You will need the WEP key to connect to your wireless network. Think of it as connecting a computer to the network. Search the network out then enter the key then you are good to go!

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
so the PS3 really is wireless?

because when I tried to let it detect my network, it couldn't ... i think my network is passwordless ... do I still need a WEP key or something?

the server/router is just in the next room, I can use my laptop all over the house, so I doubt distance or signal degredation is the problem ...
You'll need two things to connect (which are the same two things you'd need if you connected a laptop):
1. The SSID. This is the broadcast name of your network. Some people have theirs hidden for security reasons. This has to match exactly. If your network name is hidden the PS3 won't find it.
2. The password/key (if applicable). Most of the time this will be a 26 digit hex key. If there's no encryption on your network, you won't need this.

If you have an n spec router, make sure it's running in b/g/n mixed mode.

Last edited:
mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
thanks guys ...

abboudc, will have to check my settings ... I wasn't the one who installed the network ...

one thing though, when I bring in new laptops, or my brother brings his laptop, he doesn't need to sign in or anything, it's like free wifi in my house. had I been the one to install the network, I'd have put passwords, now I'm doubting if neighbors can pick up my internet ...

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
thanks guys ...

abboudc, will have to check my settings ... I wasn't the one who installed the network ...

one thing though, when I bring in new laptops, or my brother brings his laptop, he doesn't need to sign in or anything, it's like free wifi in my house. had I been the one to install the network, I'd have put passwords, now I'm doubting if neighbors can pick up my internet ...
It's altogether possible the PS3 just can see the network. Wireless networks are notoriously tempermental.

If it doesn't autodetect, try the manual route. If that doesn't work:
1. The wireless adapter on the ps3 could be bad.
2. The network is just being difficult...try something like the Linksys WGA54G to connect it (it's a great way to connect the 360 too).
3. If your router is truly open, it could be all your neighbors are taking the available connections. Not likely, but if you have it limited to like 3 or 4 connections it's definitely possible.

What brand is your router? I have a Linksys, and had a Linksys desktop PCI card at one point that couldn't see it half the time. Funny, my 7 other wireless devices could.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
I have a d-link wireless router ... though my PC is connected manually ... but my laptop is wireless.

what item can I buy that I can connect to the PS3 ethernet port that will make my life easier?

D

davo

Full Audioholic
one last question, I kinda forgot to turn off my PS3 for 24 hours. it didn't have any disc inside, the fan at the back was still running ...

did I do it any damage? anybody play that long?
I don't know about the PS3, but I used to leave my PS2 running for weeks at a time because I couldn't be bothered waiting for it to load up.
And no, it never let me down!:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis