Fire TV Cube second generation displays 1080 instead of 2160 or 4K

C

Coolravicool

Junior Audioholic
Fire TV Cube is supposed to display 4K . I already have upto 4K setting already selected in Fire TV Cube. The same content displays in 2160 when I use TV. Fire TV Cube is connected to Denon AVR-x6700h AV receiver. The HDMI cable supports upto 8k. I have a Ethernet cable connected to the Fire TV Cube. I watching Netflix with 4K subscription. How can I fix this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C

Coolravicool

Junior Audioholic
Sony xbr75x800h

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Fire TV Cube is supposed to display 4K . I already have upto 4K setting already selected in Fire TV Cube. The same content displays in 2160 when I use TV. Fire TV Cube is connected to Denon AVR-x6700h AV receiver. The HDMI cable supports upto 8k. I have a Ethernet cable connected to the Fire TV Cube. I watching Netflix with 4K subscription. How can I fix this?

Netflix and Amazon Prime both seem difficult. I don't think they really come clean. I think they both have extra stringent DRM above 2K, and for some reason have a forcing of using ARC. They seem to force you to use the app built into the TV for their premium service to work properly.

I would bet that if you use ARC that will solve your problem.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Do you use the correct settings in the Denon also?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

C

Coolravicool

Junior Audioholic
When I use ARC from TV and use the Netflix app in the Smart TV I get 2160. Same content via fire tv Cube is 1080. Is there any particular setting to be done on the Denon AVR?

C

Coolravicool

Junior Audioholic
The reason I bought the fire tv Cube was ARC is lossy 5.1.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
try this:

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The reason I bought the fire tv Cube was ARC is lossy 5.1.

You are right. Your Sony TV does not make the list of those that can send lossless audio via ARC. Many Sony TVs are but not your model. Fortunately my LG OLED does.

So hopefully you can make your Firestick work for you. The only way I can get Atmos on Netflix is to use ARC or Chromecast Ultra from my iPhone. ARC is easier.

C

Coolravicool

Junior Audioholic
Do you have EARC on your tv?

C

Coolravicool

Junior Audioholic
Ok so your ARC in your tv is lossless . Unlike mine.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Doesn't mean your Fire TV and TV Netflix apps are the same, tho.

C

Coolravicool

Junior Audioholic
The Netflix app in fire tv Cube second generation was already installed when I bought it. I believe it should be updated.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Ok so your ARC in your tv is lossless . Unlike mine.

Yes, it is. My Marantz pre/pro is 4K 11.2 channel. However the Windows 10 Netflix app on my 4k HTPC will not stream Atmos, but does send a 4K signal. The ARC from the LG TV does send Atmos audio to the pre/pro. The Apple Netflix app also works via Chromecast Ultra. So if you have an iPhone you might be able to get what you want via your phone and Chrome Cast Ultra.

C

Coolravicool

Junior Audioholic
I tried what boredstsadmin suggested. I already have set display settings to auto upto 4K . Restarted fire tv. Downloaded Netflix app again. Still 1080 . No luck.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I tried what boredstsadmin suggested. I already have set display settings to auto upto 4K . Restarted fire tv. Downloaded Netflix app again. Still 1080 . No luck.

I have done some digging on this. It seems that the Fire Cube will for some reason pass 4K to some TV models and not others. What is happening to you is quite common.

However you can use the Netflix App on your TV. Neflix audio is already compressed. It uses Dolby Digital plus with the AAC codec. The AAC codec is the best out there and I don't think you will tell it from loss less. May be if you have a 100K speaker system, but even then doubtful. Your ARC has the same spec as SPDIF optical and that will pass the above codec without further loss. So you loose nothing by using your ARC return for Netflix. It seems the Firestick Cube is somewhat out of compliance. So don't use your Firestick for Netflix.

C

Coolravicool

Junior Audioholic
Yes I am using Netflix app on the tv.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis