R

Ras777

Audioholic
I have a Denon X6400H receiver running a 7.2.4 config. I am thinking about purchasing a Firestick 4K so I can get Atmos when streaming but my TV is only 1080p will that be an issue? I am guessing connecting the fire stick into one of the Denon HDMI ports would be the best picture and sound option? I have ARC on my TV but isn't eARC needed for Atmos? Thanks

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you plug the stick into your avr then ARC wouldn't matter. 4K picture and Atmos aren't tied together afaik, altho they might be present on the same disc....

R

Ras777

Audioholic
I don't think I was making myself clear in the previous post. Will a 4K fire stick work with a 1080p TV? The cheaper fire stick(1080p) only supports Dolby surround. I want Atmos but it only comes only with the 4K firestick.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Disclaimer, I have neither 4k tv (still 1080p like you) nor Atmos speaker setup. Unless Amazon did something weird I just don't see why Atmos would be dependent on a 4k tv as you're asking (I understand the stick itself can be limited in capability on audio or video aspects).

I understand what you're asking, but don't see why they would tie together the video and audio like you were asking. Atmos soundtrack doesn't require 4k video on discs, just the processing capability for either in your player/avr.

HDMI should be backwards compatible for 1080p, like a 4k blu ray player being able to use a non-4k tv set.

I could be wrong, hopefully someone can confirm.

R

Ras777

Audioholic
Not sure why they did it that way, but the new stick has a much faster processor and has 4K, Atmos, HDR, HDR10+, HLG and Dolby vision. It also has Alexa voice remote. Not bad for $35.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not sure why they did it that way, but the new stick has a much faster processor and has 4K, Atmos, HDR, HDR10+, HLG and Dolby vision. It also has Alexa voice remote. Not bad for $35.
My older fire sticks have Alexa altho I don't use it. The price is good ($25 now for the older one). I did some searching about tying the 4k/atmos thing together but didn't find anything to back that idea up....did you?

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
I have a 4k player plugged into my theater with a 1080p pj. If u dont get an answer let me know and ill go test it. Which titles offer atmos?

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Ok just fired up Okja and im only receiving 5.1. I dont see an atmos option. Oh wait, i dont pay for 4k service. Maybe that's the issue?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah I could see a streaming service bundling 4k/atmos together but more a software than hardware restriction with the device....

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
IMO, go with a ROKU product. A much better user experience.

All the units I know of know what's hooked up to them and output accordingly, e.g. they'll all output 1080p.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
I don't think I was making myself clear in the previous post. Will a 4K fire stick work with a 1080p TV? The cheaper fire stick(1080p) only supports Dolby surround. I want Atmos but it only comes only with the 4K firestick.
It will work, the display and sound output are 2 different settings. I have a 4k fire box and had it connected to a 1080 TV for awhile. You can default 'auto' or select which resolution you prefer.

R

Ras777

Audioholic
Excellent! I was hoping this would work. I want to be able to take advantage of streaming Atmos and DTS-X. I am still enjoying my TV and don't plan on upgrading for another couple of years. Thanks for all the replies!

A

APORTO

Audioholic Intern
I use a Fire Stick 4K with a Panasonic 1080P Projector. No issues!

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I have 2 Fire Stick 4Ks, one is on my Sony 900E which is obviously 4K and the other is on a 10 year old Sony 1080p LCD and it works perfectly with both. I bought the FS 4K because of the speed, its lightening fast and did not want to give up any speed by buying an older version. Works awesome.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis