Fire stick 4k with 1080p tv and Atmos. Anyone?

Needa916

Needa916

Audioholic Intern
I got tired of firing up the Xbox to watch Atmos content so I got a Fire Stick 4k. I cannot play Atmos on the Fire stick. Works fine on Xbox. My receiver shows Atmos on the front panel.

On the Fire stick, I can only get DD+. I have the audio preference set to "best available".

Is it because my TV is not 4K? I heard somewhere you get Atmos only when playing UHD content. That's strange because on my Xbox it complains and says that it cannot play 4K, but still plays Atmos.

Is there a trick to play Atmos on fire stick 4K when I don't have a 4K TV?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
From Amazon's Q&A:
Q: does it support dolby atmos on netflix titles?
A: The ONLY thing that it supports for Dolby Atmos Streaming is the 8 episodes of Jack Ryan on Amazon Prime Video. No other titles are availabe in Atmos. It does not work with Netflix, and they don't even offer the Vudu App. So if you are looking for Atmos sound, try the Roku. At least the have a working Vudu App that supports it.

Needa916

Needa916

Audioholic Intern
Ok, well that explains it. I got it for almost free so no big loss. Great streaming player otherwise. Thanks all.

Needa916

Needa916

Audioholic Intern
Nvidia Sheild for streaming is my choice.
Yes we have one of those too. It is actually my streamer of choice, but we have it hooked up to a standalone HDMI port and using ARC so that we can use one TV remote for all operations for the kids and the wife. They love the convenience of that.

I was hoping to give them the fire stick and use the shield for movies, but the fire stick doesn't have YouTube kids.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
I don't have an atmos system. So I can't say how well it works. However, I do have a Roku Ultra and FireTV (don't recall model#, not a stick). The Roku is a much much better experience than FireTV. FT is to amazon centric IMO.

Needa916

Needa916

Audioholic Intern
I don't have an atmos system. So I can't say how well it works. However, I do have a Roku Ultra and FireTV (don't recall model#, not a stick). The Roku is a much much better experience than FireTV. FT is to amazon centric IMO.
Which Roku would you recommend? Just go for the most expensive one? We have roku's in every room, including the Roku TV. I like it a lot more than my Samsung smart TV. Yes I agree the firestick pushes Amazon stuff. I just happen to get it almost free so that's what I'm using right now instead of the Xbox.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I got one of the 4k fire sticks just because it was cheap. I wanted to test Hulu Live TV and DD support (both of which work well) in comparison to my Shield.

Haven't tried Atmos for Prime video yet, but Netflix isn't supported according to their FAQ.

Prime video Atmos is supported on shield so all I'm really getting is the updated Hulu app (since the Hulu devs have ignored Android TV).

Decent device. Video playback issues I have with my Shield (HDR to SDR conversion) aren't an issue with the Fire Stick, but no HD audio support kills it for me.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
Which Roku would you recommend? Just go for the most expensive one? We have roku's in every room, including the Roku TV. I like it a lot more than my Samsung smart TV. Yes I agree the firestick pushes Amazon stuff. I just happen to get it almost free so that's what I'm using right now instead of the Xbox.

That's what I did, the Ultra for $99. I like it has more free content and cross channel searches with price listings. Surprised how often someone has a movie for free. The interface is better too. I even think the Amazon movie app works better on it than their own devices, fwiw.

I bought the firetv because it was droid based and you could load apps on (though kind of a pia). I had an app that made it kind of like Roku: the apps I want laid out how I want on one screen, and it would wake to that screen. Amazon went in to MY streamer and deleted the app, and others. It was cutting into their advertisement and their money stream. I am not an amazon fan anymore.

Sometimes when I'm looking for a product I'll go there. Fortunately they haven't hid the "sold by"..... yet! However, I won't buy from them anymore because they won't let me check out as a guest. When you log on they spam you with trying to get you to become a prime member or get a cc. I accidently made a wrong click once, literally EIGHT screens to undo it. That's not an exaggeration! Eight! As an aside, Walmart is following the Amazon model, Marketplace Sellers, allowing other vendors to list on their site. But you're not being spammed and you can check out as a guest. Vendors have to meet certain standards to sell there too.

The truth be told, it's hard not to find free shipping anymore. Pretty much 100% of the time if you google the "sold by" company and go directly to that site they offer free shipping and the same price too. Go figure....

Sorry for the ranto_O

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
That's what I did, the Ultra for $99. I like it has more free content and cross channel searches with price listings. Surprised how often someone has a movie for free. The interface is better too. I even think the Amazon movie app works better on it than their own devices, fwiw.

I bought the firetv because it was droid based and you could load apps on (though kind of a pia). I had an app that made it kind of like Roku: the apps I want laid out how I want on one screen, and it would wake to that screen. Amazon went in to MY streamer and deleted the app, and others. It was cutting into their advertisement and their money stream. I am not an amazon fan anymore.

Sometimes when I'm looking for a product I'll go there. Fortunately they haven't hid the "sold by"..... yet! However, I won't buy from them anymore because they won't let me check out as a guest. When you log on they spam you with trying to get you to become a prime member or get a cc. I accidently made a wrong click once, literally EIGHT screens to undo it. That's not an exaggeration! Eight! As an aside, Walmart is following the Amazon model, Marketplace Sellers, allowing other vendors to list on their site. But you're not being spammed and you can check out as a guest. Vendors have to meet certain standards to sell there too.

The truth be told, it's hard not to find free shipping anymore. Pretty much 100% of the time if you google the "sold by" company and go directly to that site they offer free shipping and the same price too. Go figure....

Sorry for the ranto_O
Weird thing is, the prime video app on the shield let's you skip recaps and intros, the fire stick doesn't. On the flip side, the fire stick let's you skip ahead 30 seconds by pushing through right button and skip back by pushing left. Shield app doesn't do that. Odd that they are that different.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Weird thing is, the prime video app on the shield let's you skip recaps and intros, the fire stick doesn't. On the flip side, the fire stick let's you skip ahead 30 seconds by pushing through right button and skip back by pushing left. Shield app doesn't do that. Odd that they are that different.
I have no problem skipping intro/recap on my FireTV. So maybe the stick app doesn't have it. Since the app for each device type (Roku, FireXX, DVD/BD Player, Tablet, Phone, TV, PC, etc...) are all different, they will have slight variances. I tend to use the one that has the options I prefer, though I'd like some of the tablet options on my FireTV.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I have no problem skipping intro/recap on my FireTV. So maybe the stick app doesn't have it. Since the app for each device type (Roku, FireXX, DVD/BD Player, Tablet, Phone, TV, PC, etc...) are all different, they will have slight variances. I tend to use the one that has the options I prefer, though I'd like some of the tablet options on my FireTV.
I'm the same way, but it's odd that they are that different. If they'd just add the features of each to both apps it'd be perfect. "Technically" they're both Android TV apps.

What I haven't tested yet is whether Atmos on the Prime Video app works on the Fire Stick 4K. It sort of does on my Shield, but not always.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis