Finished Setup... For Now

Soccerkid830

Soccerkid830

Full Audioholic
Newest addition to the lot. Thinking about getting a few more of these to replace my set up as a whole. :D

Brings a whole new meaning to calling speakers cans... :rolleyes:

Soccerkid830

Soccerkid830

Full Audioholic
Small update.

Sold a majority of my equipment, (EMP E5ti's, KEF Q900's&600C, Denon 3312), leaving behind only RBH T-2's for L/R, EMP E-41b's for surrounds, and two Rythmik FV15HP's (only one is setup). After debating between a T-1 or a 6100 for a center, I decided on a T-1, which I managed to get with beryllium woofers/scanspeak tweets from RBH, to match the L/R's that also have the Be/SS component upgrades.

Only issues are, they changed the color of the Be woofers from when the towers were made and now, so the new Be woofers are a more steel/grey color, rather than white/aluminum looking. And second, the grilles are different. The older towers have oval shaped grilles, the new one has a rectangular grille that covers the entire thing. The second issue doesn't bother me since I think they look better without the grilles anyway.

Finished my degree in chemical engineering and my wife and I moved into a townhouse; so, Now I have finally had the ability to set my system up, at least plug in everything. I've had the Rythmik's for almost a year and never truly had them integrated into a system. Same with the T-2's, been using my KEF's and EMP's at school, with no subs. It's nice to have everything all set up anyway. Here's what it looks like for now, a little messy ignore the room, but I like it.

Picking up a new couch on Monday to replace the ever thinning $70 futon from Walmart at school.

Front three:

Surrounds and sub:

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Looks awesome so far, but I agree with Adam. That center is just too small and so is the TV :D

Soccerkid830

Soccerkid830

Full Audioholic
Nice setup, but that center channel seems a little small...

:D
Looks awesome so far, but I agree with Adam. That center is just too small and so is the TV :D
Those towers :D but there's a big problem the speakers are bigger then the TV

I noticed that after setting them up too; I need a bigger TV. I have a projector but it's not really feasible with how narrow the room is.

I was worried about the TV stand holding all the weight though, it is glass... The T-1 is 75 pounds according to RBH's website, and the TV is probably 45 pounds-ish, it's a five yr old 42" LCD. That's roughly 130 pounds on a sheet of glass. Seems to be doing well so far, and shouldn't have to worry about any fatigue because it IS glass afterall...

Overall, loving that I can finally set up my stuff. Trying to test the boundaries of how high I can turn the volume before the neighbor gets upset. Although she has one of those little yipper dogs which is very annoying, we'll have to see who can be louder maybe :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I noticed that after setting them up too; I need a bigger TV. I have a projector but it's not really feasible with how narrow the room is.

I was worried about the TV stand holding all the weight though, it is glass... The T-1 is 75 pounds according to RBH's website, and the TV is probably 45 pounds-ish, it's a five yr old 42" LCD. That's roughly 130 pounds on a sheet of glass. Seems to be doing well so far, and shouldn't have to worry about any fatigue because it IS glass afterall...

Overall, loving that I can finally set up my stuff. Trying to test the boundaries of how high I can turn the volume before the neighbor gets upset. Although she has one of those little yipper dogs which is very annoying, we'll have to see who can be louder maybe :D
You could always go with an electric screen, do a little rearranging, and then have the TV and the projector. Not ideal, but when is it ever in your first place :)

Soccerkid830

Soccerkid830

Full Audioholic
You could always go with an electric screen, do a little rearranging, and then have the TV and the projector. Not ideal, but when is it ever in your first place :)
Electric screens are pretty expensive though aren't they?

I don't have a money tree in my backyard. Being that I just bought that T-1 center, as well as a new car for my wife, a much more expensive living situation, and trying to save for a house, I'm not quite sure a screen is in the budget just yet. My 2001 (13 years old!) Yukon is at 210k miles and starting to develop some fairly gnarly rusted rear quarter panels due to 4 years of living on a dirt road and its entire life in Michigan winters where they dump more salt on the road than there is snow (at least near Detroit).

Anyway, I'm not sure if any speaker-related items will find themselves on my credit card statement anytime soon. Maybe, but likely not.

Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
Good to hear your stand is still holding up, how many systeams are you running now I've checked out most the pictures and it seems you have a Diffrent set of speakers for every occasion

Soccerkid830

Soccerkid830

Full Audioholic
Good to hear your stand is still holding up, how many systeams are you running now I've checked out most the pictures and it seems you have a Diffrent set of speakers for every occasion
This is all I got left. I sold the rest of everything you see throughout my pictures. I bought/sold/upgraded to what I got now.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Electric screens are pretty expensive though aren't they?

I don't have a money tree in my backyard. Being that I just bought that T-1 center, as well as a new car for my wife, a much more expensive living situation, and trying to save for a house, I'm not quite sure a screen is in the budget just yet. My 2001 (13 years old!) Yukon is at 210k miles and starting to develop some fairly gnarly rusted rear quarter panels due to 4 years of living on a dirt road and its entire life in Michigan winters where they dump more salt on the road than there is snow (at least near Detroit).

Anyway, I'm not sure if any speaker-related items will find themselves on my credit card statement anytime soon. Maybe, but likely not.
They're definitely more expensive than fixed, but you can get a pretty good one for fairly cheap. My 92" screen I bought on sale for $600, which isn't too bad considering it's electric, has two different remotes (IR and radio), tensioned, and had free delivery. That still may be out of your price range, especially with all that you've noted, but it for ~$600 it may be closer than you had realized.

Soccerkid830

Soccerkid830

Full Audioholic
They're definitely more expensive than fixed, but you can get a pretty good one for fairly cheap. My 92" screen I bought on sale for $600, which isn't too bad considering it's electric, has two different remotes (IR and radio), tensioned, and had free delivery. That still may be out of your price range, especially with all that you've noted, but it for ~$600 it may be closer than you had realized.
Yeah that's not what I thought it'd be either. Where did you get it from, and what brand/model is it?

At any rate, that will probably be put on hold until the house comes into the picture. Then I can set up both Rythmik's too and be officially all the way set up :D. Not just officially most of the way setup :).

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah that's not what I thought it'd be either. Where did you get it from, and what brand/model is it?

At any rate, that will probably be put on hold until the house comes into the picture. Then I can set up both Rythmik's too and be officially all the way set up :D. Not just officially most of the way setup :).
Here is the link. It's the 92" 16:9 cinetension 2 screen with power gain material. I believe it's $531 + shipping because they're on clearance. Shipping is expensive, which brings it to over $600 depending on how far you are from their shipping facilities. I believe shipping to me was $120ish and I'm in NY. Overall it's not a bad deal for a pretty good sized, tensioned screen. I've been extremely happy with mine so far, with the only downside being that it covers my center if I put it too far down and it isn't AT. Not a big deal since it only costs me about 6-8" in screen size.

Soccerkid830

Soccerkid830

Full Audioholic
Here is the link. It's the 92" 16:9 cinetension 2 screen with power gain material. I believe it's $531 + shipping because they're on clearance. Shipping is expensive, which brings it to over $600 depending on how far you are from their shipping facilities. I believe shipping to me was $120ish and I'm in NY. Overall it's not a bad deal for a pretty good sized, tensioned screen. I've been extremely happy with mine so far, with the only downside being that it covers my center if I put it too far down and it isn't AT. Not a big deal since it only costs me about 6-8" in screen size.
That screen you linked to has a gain of 1.8. I didn't know anything about projector gain so I looked it up real quick and it seems as if too high of a gain can be detrimental (suggested that >1.5 can be bad). Do you see any issues with your screen? I guess sometimes they'll look far too bright when you sit directly in the center of it, and get a lot darker a lot faster as you angle away from center. Or is it not as noticeable as some websites make it out to seem?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
That screen you linked to has a gain of 1.8. I didn't know anything about projector gain so I looked it up real quick and it seems as if too high of a gain can be detrimental (suggested that >1.5 can be bad). Do you see any issues with your screen? I guess sometimes they'll look far too bright when you sit directly in the center of it, and get a lot darker a lot faster as you angle away from center. Or is it not as noticeable as some websites make it out to seem?
I was worried about that as well. I think it has a lot to do with a few things. First of all, being that companies tend to overhype the gains on their screens no matter what. Actual screen gain is almost always less than they claim. I'd eat my shoe if the gain on this screen was actually 1.8. I saw somewhere where a third party did a bunch of independent tests on many different screens and the gains always measured lower than they claimed, but the better more expensive screens were closer. I believe he also measured the power gain screen and it came to 1.2-1.4 rather than 1.8.

Secondly, if you properly calibrate your PJ with a good disc like the Spears and Munsil there will be zero ill effects from the screen if there were going to be to begin with. I had a regular 1.0 gain screen before this one and can honestly say the difference is minimal. This screen is a touch brighter than the other one, but not by much at all and once I calibrated my PJ all it does it look awesome. The extra brightness actually helps during times when there is more ambient light, like during the day or when a couple lamps are on. I haven't noticed any of what you describe, but I think that's also because you're only going to get 1.8 from the screen under super ideal conditions that don't really exist in real life. Overall, I think it's a great screen for the money. Not for $1000+ that they might charge regular price, but for ~$600 I think it's definitely worth it.

Soccerkid830

Soccerkid830

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the info. I'll have to keep it in mind for the future.

Soccerkid830

Soccerkid830

Full Audioholic
Been a while since I've updated this. So here we go.

So my wife and I just bought our first house. The basement had this room separated off and it was used as a crafting-type room. Well, it is going to be used as a base for a home theater now. I definitely plan on making some bare minimum changes like painting the walls and buying a screen. The room is fairly small, especially for what I'm trying to put in there, but it'll have to do for now.

So without further stalling, here's what I've been working on setting up here and there in my free time.

Back behind the couch:

With the couch and projector not where it'll end up. Just playing around :)

And the front:

Obviously still a work in progress. Will try to post up some stuff as things happen. I'm going to build a little stand to put the center directly above the Onkyo rather than my rollie wheel stool thing.

It's been pretty exciting.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Other than that UGLY flag everything looks pretty darn good :p

Soccerkid830

Soccerkid830

Full Audioholic
Other than that UGLY flag everything looks pretty darn good :p

Are you an Inter fan? Moving into this new house, I didn't know where else to put it. I figured in the long run it'd be a good spot to hide some auralex pads behind it as well.

AC Milan and Panathinaikos FC played an exhibition match nearby and I went to the game. Got that flag autographed by quite a few players, as well as my cleats. I thought they were going to have a play with the players the day before when you could go watch them practice so I took in my cleats. After I found out that you couldn't play with the players, I got them autographed. Once I got home I realized my almost new cleats were no longer usable since they had all these autographs all over them; I had to buy new cleats :mad:. You can sort of see the scribbles by the R in FORZA. I had the Pana players sign the flyer I got. Pretty fun game, my dad and I had first row seats right at half field.

Only problem is the room is pretty dang small. It's 9 feet wide by 14 or 15 feet long if I remember right. The biggest screen I can get in there with those T-2's in the way is an 84". I might have to go down a size from that too, the speakers are already pushed RIGHT up against the side walls... We'll see though, it's not on my highest priority right now. :p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis