FINDING THE RIGHT SPEAKERS

mylo2020

mylo2020

Enthusiast
Hello guys,

I have been always a person who likes to hear things in the best quality available, but I have to be honest I am a newbie with high end audio. I started to build my HT set up around a year ago. I have a Denon 4500X then purchased a pair of RP280F and recently after spending a lot of time reading I bought a SVS PB-2000PRO but the seller confused the title and send me a regular PB-2000
Unfortanly it is not posible to me to return stuff or go to the audio stores to listen multiple speakers. Since I live in Peru (South America) and that make things just a little complicated and more expensive for example for that Subwoofer I end paying $1300 and for the RP280 around $1200. So I am always trying to find open boxes or just good deals.

So now I'm trying to find the best bang for buck bookshelf speakers, My goal is to have 7.2.4 set up. So have some "stages" so my next stage is the Surround back. I read that the RP600M are good and I can get them 400 bucks on eBay. Then I found this guy saying that they need a $200 bucks upgrade kit in order to sound properly. So I need your expertise of you guys if the RP600M is the way to go or I can get something else.

PD my HT set up is oriented to watch movies and I apologize for my English
And next month I will be flying to Miami for a couple of days so if you have any store suggestions worth visiting let me know.

Thanks for your advise

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
for starters ............

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
Gr-research.com build your own. That's what I'm looking at currently.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Even a non-pro PB2000 is still a very good sub, so you should still be getting some good bass.

So is $400 your budget then, or can you spend a little more? What's your top dollar? Is this just for surround speakers? You don't need top of the line speakers for surround. The front 3 are what most of us focus the bulk of the budget on. That and subs.

Last edited:
cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Hello guys,

I have been always a person who likes to hear things in the best quality available, but I have to be honest I am a newbie with high end audio. I started to build my HT set up around a year ago. I have a Denon 4500X then purchased a pair of RP280F and recently after spending a lot of time reading I bought a SVS PB-2000PRO but the seller confused the title and send me a regular PB-2000
Unfortanly it is not posible to me to return stuff or go to the audio stores to listen multiple speakers. Since I live in Peru (South America) and that make things just a little complicated and more expensive for example for that Subwoofer I end paying $1300 and for the RP280 around $1200. So I am always trying to find open boxes or just good deals.

So now I'm trying to find the best bang for buck bookshelf speakers, My goal is to have 7.2.4 set up. So have some "stages" so my next stage is the Surround back. I read that the RP600M are good and I can get them 400 bucks on eBay. Then I found this guy saying that they need a $200 bucks upgrade kit in order to sound properly. So I need your expertise of you guys if the RP600M is the way to go or I can get something else.

PD my HT set up is oriented to watch movies and I apologize for my English
And next month I will be flying to Miami for a couple of days so if you have any store suggestions worth visiting let me know.

Thanks for your advise
I guess for you it would depend a lot of the shipping cost to Peru, vs you going to Miami and picking something up and shipping it home yourself. Maybe check out the ELAC speakers at BEST BUY. Not a bad price, decent performers. Well there is a BEST Buy Magnolia store at '.
8450 S Dixie Hwy
Miami, FL 33143

mylo2020

mylo2020

Enthusiast
for starters ............

Thanks for advice I saw that article but I was looking some kind of deal like the MSRP is around 600 o 700 but you can find them used in great shape or open boxes for way less. my budget is around 400 and maybe 600

mylo2020

mylo2020

Enthusiast
I guess for you it would depend a lot of the shipping cost to Peru, vs you going to Miami and picking something up and shipping it home yourself. Maybe check out the ELAC speakers at BEST BUY. Not a bad price, decent performers. Well there is a BEST Buy Magnolia store at '.
8450 S Dixie Hwy
Miami, FL 33143
Well shipping is $8 for each 17 pounds, plus 18% taxes and some other fees involved (around $50). But I
fortunately I have a friend that can receive my packages and hold them for a while. But some stuff it is more coinvent to have them shipped I can not imagine my self around the airport with 77lb subwoofer lol.

mylo2020

mylo2020

Enthusiast
Even a non-pro PB2000 is still a very good sub, so you should still be getting some good bass.

So is $400 your budget then, or can you spend a little more? What's your top dollar? Is this just for surround speakers? You don't need top of the line speakers for surround. The front 3 are what most of us focus the bulk of the budget on. That and subs.
I can do 600 and yes just the surround back

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I read that the RP600M are good and I can get them 400 bucks on eBay. Then I found this guy saying that they need a $200 bucks upgrade kit in order to sound properly. So I need your expertise of you guys if the RP600M is the way to go or I can get something else.
I'd stay away from the guy who says he can improve the RP600Ms with an "upgrade kit".

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Really wouldn't put anything into any upgrade kit.

You know for surround back speakers you don't need a whole lot. They don't see near the action the front 3 do and are pretty much just for effect. If you want to stay with Klipsch I think a pair of RP160s is all you'd need, and you can probably pick them up for less money.

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
A little malarkey from Danny he just published
I know we are getting off the original topic/question from the other guy so I'll keep it quick.

I agree with both parties here on cables, components etc. etc. I mean do $15 speaker cable vs $10,000 speaker cable make a difference. IDK on paper probably and in person maybe. Would I spend the money for it hell NO. The only true test would be to have idenitcal speakers/amps/processors in two identical rooms, where say 100 random people could A/B the sounds speperately $15 vs $10,000 cables or components, not knowing which room is which. That said I am looking for the best possible sound at the cheapest of rates. And if building a DIY speaker or cables, etc. etc. is that route I'm all in, especially at that cost. I'm all about the cheap budget.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I know we are getting off the original topic/question from the other guy so I'll keep it quick.

I agree with both parties here on cables, components etc. etc. I mean do $15 speaker cable vs $10,000 speaker cable make a difference. IDK on paper probably and in person maybe. Would I spend the money for it hell NO. The only true test would be to have idenitcal speakers/amps/processors in two identical rooms, where say 100 random people could A/B the sounds speperately $15 vs $10,000 cables or components, not knowing which room is which. That said I am looking for the best possible sound at the cheapest of rates. And if building a DIY speaker or cables, etc. etc. is that route I'm all in, especially at that cost. I'm all about the cheap budget.
Some are happy with Danny and his kits, some like to tweak and use his "upgrade" kits, personally I'll pass. Personally I'd build Dennis Murphy/Philharmonic Audio's kit first http://philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html or a variety of kits from other sources first (diysoundgroup.com, Madisound, Meniscus, Parts-Express). I did build the Parts-Express BR-1 kit before Dennis offered his versions, too.

The speaker wire and other types of cabling thing has been beat to death and is certainly not a worthwhile use of money or time as long as you choose appropriately, and it definitely need not cost very much.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis