Finding a tracking device planted on car

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
This would not be a passive unit. Her clue is a 4 year old asking her why her car "screams at us every time we drive by it".
It is a matter of being creeped out (or feeling violated) by the idea that she is being "stalked" in this manner. She doesn't feel her life is in jeopardy or anything that serious.
Understood, for many being stalked is no laughing matter, especially for a women.

IMO, the clue is not nearly enough to go on (or be worried about) and a 4 year old saying her car "screams at us every time we drive by it" doesn't give any indication that a tracking device is in use. As already mentioned, do a quick visual search inside (under the seats and dash as well) and out (underneath/front grill/wheel wells).

Steve

P.S. On a side note, if the 4 yr old is referring to a high pitch noise when the car is driven this can be a sign of a bearing going bad.

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
Perhaps this is a more relevant question:
Would the receiver for one of these devices normally be configured to make noise as you got physically close to the transmitter.
Not normally, unless the device's true purpose was to be a proximity detector. Some comsumer GPS units do have a proximity alarm, my hand held unit will beep a few times when I'm close to a waypoint.

Steve

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Also, might not be GPS at all. If the parents are using an RF transmitter to track her, it could certainly start beeping on their end as they get close. Hey, I've seen TV. :) Not to get into the soap opera, but maybe they just want to know if your friend is getting close to them - and aren't actually tracking her.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I think you can do better !!! :D

Hold out for at least an Acura. :p
In my 50+ years of life experience, all of the hot 19 year old college co-eds driving Acuras are rich b1tches!

The Civic gals are more down to earth!

j/k, in case it needs to be said :D:D:D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
In my 50+ years of life experience, all of the hot 19 year old college co-eds driving Acuras are rich b1tches!
First, I tip my hat that you have 50+ years of experience with hot 19-year-old college co-eds! :D

Second, hotness makes up for a lot of attitude. Especially when you aren't listening. :p

(And not listening in my case is simply due to the fact that their pictures on the internet don't talk. :eek: :D)

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
Also, might not be GPS at all. If the parents are using an RF transmitter to track her, it could certainly start beeping on their end as they get close. Hey, I've seen TV. :) Not to get into the soap opera, but maybe they just want to know if your friend is getting close to them - and aren't actually tracking her.
That's right ... it might not be stalking at all ...

Ok, hypothetical situation, let's say some guy ... we'll can him. ummm ... Adam, has this girlfriend and wants to know when the girlfriend is near so he can kick out the hot 19 yr old Acura driving college girl before he gets caught with her! :)

Steve

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
That's right ... it might not be stalking at all ...

Ok, hypothetical situation, let's say some guy ... we'll can him. ummm ... Adam, has this girlfriend and wants to know when the girlfriend is near so he can kick out the hot 19 yr old Acura driving college girl before he gets caught with her! :)

Steve
I was completely with you up until you said,...

"Adam, has this girlfriend" :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis