Finding a good system for a small room

P

petenaz

Enthusiast
I'm about to update my tired old entertainment system in my new 1940's california home. I have a smaller livingroom (19' X 14') with hardwood floors. I have a small 5' wide wall to put my TV on and I have a crawl space and attic to run wires anywhere I need.

I am looking at the 50" Pioneer elite or Panasonic Onyx for the plasma (wall mount for a 13' viewing distance). I don't want overbearing speakers (small house and all) so right now I am choosing between the Polk RM20 series or the Mirage Nanosat speakers.

My problem is really figuring out the best options for the Receiver and DVD player that will work best for my space. It would be good to have the ability to wire a seperate zone in, but that is pretty flexible since I can always use my old system to play outside. I want something I can have for a while and that will allow good flexibility (possible PC input and good video, digital HDTV, progressive scan etc..). I am thinking about 2000-2500 (max) for the entire audio package. I will also have to distance one of the rear satellites if I want them corner mounted (putting one satellite about 6' away and the other about 12' away in my long rectangular room).

I did contemplate the HTiB option, just for the space issues - the Bose lifestyle system or the Onkyo V955, but I am just not sure about those sytems because of the limited growth potential in the future - and possibly the lack of real sound quality.

Anyway - any help from some good gear nuts would be great - there are so many to choose from, I would just like a few recommendations oto narrow my search. I feel like I know more than the store guys sometimes and it's hard to get a good vibe from any in my area.

Thanks for anything you can do...

Pete

D

Dezoris

Audioholic
The mirage are a little gimmicky in the style department. I really like the Polk, all around, I listened to them before I set up my friends home theatre.

However I had him get these instead.
The Pro cinema 80
http://www.definitivetech.com/loudspeakers/procinema/procinema_80.html
They will fit anywhere, and they are crystal clear without being annoyingly bright like many Sats. Also the sub is much better than the two systems you mentioned you can also get the setup for under 700$

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Whatever else you might do, puhleeeze save yourself a ton of money and stay away from Bose.

Check out this little system. It's had great reviews and comes with a subwoofer that is honored hereabouts...one that you can use to grow your system in the future. (It also comes with the larger STF-3.) You get a great price, plus free shipping (NOT insignificant with that sub), and a free 20 foot sub cable.

http://www.hsustore.com/vt-12-stf-2.html

Happy hunting.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis