Finally took a stand against the music industry

W

Westrock2000

Junior Audioholic
Well, I've told myself I would do it, but I've never been faced with the problem.

But the other day I was cruising through Sam Goody while the wife was shopping, and I saw a Pet Shop Boys CD. It was an import single, just had a few songs on it, but alas it was a CD by them I didn't own. So as I'm looking on the back to what songs are on it, I see in bold print on the bottom by the copyright stuff something to the effect of "This CD uses a copyright protection system". And I thought you know what, I really want this CD, but I'm not gonna let someone tell me where and how to use my stuff. So I put it back, and moved on.

I realize this won't affect anything, and I'm the only that will pretty much suffer from my decision, but it fell good to take a stand. :cool:

I'm cool with SCMS, its plenty fair in my eyes, its never done me wrong. I like to make copies of my CD's and then use the copies for most listening, and only bring out the originals when I sit down and listen....kinda like a book of CD's in the car, and the real ones at home...

So I don't want the Industry telling me when or how I can do that, nor do I not want something that will only work in "approved" electronics.

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
Good for you.I,too,like to make my own CD's & it's not for distribution.Like many others,I'm sure,I like to combine the best music off of multiple CD's for listening to in the car.I make a lot of "best of" CD's,with compilations of different artists & themes for MY enjoyment.I like having all good tunes @ 70-80 mins a pop instead of trying to shuffle through stuff while I'm trying to drive.

U

Unregistered

I applaud your stance, but if you really want the cd you should just buy it. Chances are good that the "copyright" protection will not hinder you in any way.

I too try to avoid any cds that explicitly state they employ copy protection because I rip all my cds to my computer hard drive. Soon I will have all of my music available digitally for streaming around the house.

However, I once got a cd mail order and when I got it, it said in big red letters "This cd will not play on pc or mac computers". That turned out to be totally false - not only did it play fine, but I ripped every track perfectly as well. Now I PAID for this cd and it is my right to do with it what I want. Fortunately the supposed copy protection was worthless, as it often is. Some copy protection schemes can be defeated by simply holding down Shift while the cd loads.

G

Gatorchong

Audioholic
I think it depends on what software you want to use. I've used Nero and Adaptec, never had a problem copying to the hard drive or burning. But I can appreciate the statement you made. If you're going to buy the CD you should be able to listen to the music however you want to listen to it. Right on. But if you want to listen to it, you still gotta buy it.

U

Unregistered

that shift key thing is for macromedia protected cd's. Its so funny that they never intended to put that in. Millions of dollars spent on "protecting" the artists work(as if record companies actually cared about music) and some idiot leaves a developers loophole in it! It really just shows how the wealth of these companies is only surpassed by their short sightedness and blithering stupidity. They race to isolate their consumers through supeanas etc.., VIVA LA REVELUTION! :D arggg!

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
I would have bought the CD. If it did not allow "ripping" to my HDD I would have returned it. I have done this in the past and will probably do so in the future. After forking out $14+ for a CD I feel I have the right to extract the one or two songs I like and put them on a compilation. I do this for my personal use. If the record companies don't like this too bad. Been buying lots of used CD's at $5 to $7. There is a great used CD store right of the Univ. of Pa. campus. The low price allows a lot of experimenting with new/unknown (to me) artists. :cool:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis