Finally pulled the trigger...

S

syberman

Junior Audioholic
Hello all,
I finally pulled the trigger and ordered SVS Ultra series. I bought 2 ultra towers, center and 4 ultra surrounds. Should be coming in a couple of days.

I need some help, I have two surrounds that will be hanging from the ceiling and I need mounts for both. I don't know how I can mount the back of the speaker to the ceiling mount. Also, is it in my best interest to run speaker wire thru my walls or just use concealer?

Any help is always appreciated, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Congratulations! I have almost the same setup. I went with a bookshelf for my center though. You're gonna love them. they'll show up on a pallet at your house.

The bookshelf speakers are fairly large and have some weight to them. I don't know how I'd go about ceiling mounting them.

I ran my cabling under the carpet, but that was easy because I just got new carpet. Not sure what concealer you're asking aout,

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I need some help, I have two surrounds that will be hanging from the ceiling and I need mounts for both. I don't know how I can mount the back of the speaker to the ceiling mount.
Those surround speakers weigh 18 lbs. and are 14" high × 12.3" wide × 7" deep. They come with French Cleat hardware that makes wall mounting them simple and reliable, see page 9 of the Owner's Manual.

There ought to be a way to hang them from a ceiling. Maybe you can use these wall/ceiling brackets, with or without the French Cleat:

Holds 33 lbs.
https://www.amazon.com/Easeurlife-Speaker-Ceiling-Brackets-Adjustable/dp/B072HSRF6X/ref=sr_1_28?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1499722419&sr=1-28&keywords=speaker+mounting+brackets

https://www.amazon.com/Mount-Anti-Theft-Universal-Adjustable-Articulating/dp/B00CSAZM8U/ref=sr_1_14?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1499724040&sr=1-14&keywords=speaker+mounting+ceiling+brackets

Holds 44 lbs.
https://www.amazon.com/Satellite-Speaker-Bracket-Adjustable-Ceiling/dp/B01LXKMZVX/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1499721592&sr=1-8&keywords=speaker+mounting+brackets

There are many more wall brackets on Amazon, but I found fewer ceiling brackets, especially those that can hold speakers heavier than 10 lbs.

If you look for the manufacturer's web page, you might find more mounting suggestions.

Last edited:
S

syberman

Junior Audioholic
Congratulations! I have almost the same setup. I went with a bookshelf for my center though. You're gonna love them. they'll show up on a pallet at your house.

The bookshelf speakers are fairly large and have some weight to them. I don't know how I'd go about ceiling mounting them.

I ran my cabling under the carpet, but that was easy because I just got new carpet. Not sure what concealer you're asking aout,
Hey Pogre, do they take that pallet away? Lol!! I haven't told my wife or kids yet. They will be surprised or My wife will kicked me out. We will find out in a few days!

Here is a commercial pic of a concealer:

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Hey Pogre, do they take that pallet away? Lol!! I haven't told my wife or kids yet. They will be surprised or My wife will kicked me out. We will find out in a few days!

As long as you never, ever plan to remove those you will be fine, but plan on it taking off your pain and part of your drywall if you remove

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

I was wondering what you meant by concealer....I know those by the term raceways

S

syberman

Junior Audioholic
I was wondering what you meant by concealer....I know those by the term raceways
Oh ok, I never heard the term raceway, learned something new today, thanks!!

Syberman

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Last edited:
S

syberman

Junior Audioholic
I was looking at the manual but I'm still confused on do I need to screw on the plate that comes with the speaker first then screw on the omnimount?

Syberman

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall

Congrats on your purchase! Exciting time I'm sure.

I just ran 3 wires (two surround speakers and a sub RCA cable) from basically a ft off the floor up to the ceiling and into the attic. I had to run each one separately, Getting a hole cut large enough thru the dbl 2x4 top plate framing in the attic was easy. Feeding the wire down an insulated wall and pulling it through the opening was not. Granted I don't do this every day, but it took 2+ hours! If you are coming thru an interior wall with no insulation...it's a 30 min job.

Concealer...that looks clean, almost like a small crown molding...my wife has OCD and major problems with wires on the walls, but I think even she could handle that.

av install.JPG

Couldn't get the pic upright but you get the idea....this wire goes up a 9' wall, across the ceiling about 16' and down the TV wall.

loft TV wall group pic.JPG

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I was looking at the manual but I'm still confused on do I need to screw on the plate that comes with the speaker first then screw on the omnimount?
That's the way I read it.
  1. The omnimount separates into two pieces, the ceiling mount/ball shaft (part 1, page 7), and the speaker plate w/clamp (part 3). Separate them, as shown on page 8.

2. Mount the speaker plate on the backs of your speakers as shown on either page 9 or page 10. It depends on what the backs of your speakers are like. If you don't have 4 threaded inserts on the back (page 9), you will have to drill 4 holes as shown on page 10.

3. Find a suitable place in the ceiling to put the ceiling mount/ball shaft. The strongest way is to find a wood stud (use an inexpensive battery powered stud finder) in the ceiling and drive the screws into the stud, as shown on pages 11-12.

4. Finally, attach the ceiling mount/ball shaft to the speaker plate, as described on page 13.

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
Off topic, but your last picture makes me want to move your B&W's more forward to be even with the front of your subs. The speaker on the right does not look ideally positioned back behind the sub and that chair. If this is an old picture and you've moved things since then, did it improve your sound?

S

syberman

Junior Audioholic
Congrats on your purchase! Exciting time I'm sure.

I just ran 3 wires (two surround speakers and a sub RCA cable) from basically a ft off the floor up to the ceiling and into the attic. I had to run each one separately, Getting a hole cut large enough thru the dbl 2x4 top plate framing in the attic was easy. Feeding the wire down an insulated wall and pulling it through the opening was not. Granted I don't do this every day, but it took 2+ hours! If you are coming thru an interior wall with no insulation...it's a 30 min job.

Concealer...that looks clean, almost like a small crown molding...my wife has OCD and major problems with wires on the walls, but I think even she could handle that.

View attachment 21588

Couldn't get the pic upright but you get the idea....this wire goes up a 9' wall, across the ceiling about 16' and down the TV wall.

View attachment 21589
Hey 2channel, yes it is a very exciting time. But kinda feeling overwhelmed with what's in store for me, work wise. I'm not a handy guy at all, sure I can drill a screw in the wall but that's as far as it goes, lol!!

Syberman

S

syberman

Junior Audioholic
That's the way I read it.
  1. The omnimount separates into two pieces, the ceiling mount/ball shaft (part 1, page 7), and the speaker plate w/clamp (part 3). Separate them, as shown on page 8.

2. Mount the speaker plate on the backs of your speakers as shown on either page 9 or page 10. It depends on what the backs of your speakers are like. If you don't have 4 threaded inserts on the back (page 9), you will have to drill 4 holes as shown on page 10.

3. Find a suitable place in the ceiling to put the ceiling mount/ball shaft. The strongest way is to find a wood stud (use an inexpensive battery powered stud finder) in the ceiling and drive the screws into the stud, as shown on pages 11-12.

4. Finally, attach the ceiling mount/ball shaft to the speaker plate, as described on page 13.
Wow Swerd, very detailed information, thank you!! Still have one question tho, Do I need to use the SVS wall mount to the surround speaker when attaching to the ceiling mount?

Sorry for the noobish questions but I am a noob, lol!!

Syberman

2channel lover

Off topic, but your last picture makes me want to move your B&W's more forward to be even with the front of your subs. The speaker on the right does not look ideally positioned back behind the sub and that chair. If this is an old picture and you've moved things since then, did it improve your sound?
Thanks...yeah, good observation. @William Lemmerhirt picked up on that last week. The left main has a speaker cable issues but mains were inched forward and subs inched back to bring them at least even now.

Not really. The B&Ws have been there for a while before I bought the subs and they image and sound about the same to me.

2channel lover

Hey 2channel, yes it is a very exciting time. But kinda feeling overwhelmed with what's in store for me, work wise. I'm not a handy guy at all, sure I can drill a screw in the wall but that's as far as it goes, lol!!

Syberman

I'm not like my two brother in laws (one is an electrician, the other a mechanical jack of all trades) when it comes to this kind of work, but if I take my time, normally my results are just as good if not better.

Take your time, think it through (2 or 3 times if you need to) and you'll be fine.

S

syberman

Junior Audioholic
Yeah, I've been playing different scenarios in my head for quite a while now. I'm hopeful this will come out nicely.

Syberman

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Do I need to use the SVS wall mount to the surround speaker when attaching to the ceiling mount?
With those ceiling mounts, I don't think you need the SVS wall mounts. But you should keep them in case you want to wall mount the surrounds sometime in the future.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis