Final Subwoofer Decision

D

df4801

Banned
Hi all,
After much research and trying to listen to as many as possible, I have come to my final list. Please help me pick before I go nuts researching.
MY room is 20x22x9 and open to another room, 95% HT use.
Have paradigm speakers for 5.1 surround.

choices- Based on prices I have found

Velodyne 5000R (same price as the SVS)
SVS PD-12-ISD
Hsu VTF-3 (add $100)
Paradigm PW2200 (add $150)

If all similar, should I just pick the one thats looks best? I was going to get the Hsu, but I dont like the peg legs (will leave big indents in carpet) and I heard there is a month wait!

Thanks all

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
For 95% HT use, I would say the SVS PB12 may be the one your after, Hsu has been known to be more musical than the HT use of SVS..

BJP

BJP

Audioholic
Hi, your sub choices are very similar to mine. For you, the Velodyne and SVS looks like the best subs. You may want to up the SVS to the PB12-Plus because of the size of your room. Have fun :) .

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
BJP said:
For you, the Velodyne and SVS looks like the best subs. You may want to up the SVS to the PB12-Plus because of the size of your room. Have fun :) .
Yeah that 22x20x9 may really benefit more from the Plus line, or ISD/2 line..

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
SVS or Velo

Tough call. I haven't heard the Velodyne, but would definitely recommend a demo before getting an SVS (my choice also if the Velo doesn't impress). That moster has a massive 15" driver, a box about the size of the PB12, and an amp almost twice as powerful. The Velo weighs 5lbs more. It very well may be suited for your larger room, if you can't budget stepping up to a plus or ultra driver with SVS.

I asked the rep at SVS during our visit this summer what other companies most impressed them. His answer - Velodyne. That was it. That says a lot.

Have you found pricing better than these on the Velo?

http://www.electronicsjunction.com/vedlfrsh15su.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5802290772&category=3275

D

df4801

Banned
hey buckeyefan,
Thanks for the info. That price on the velo puts it $100 cheaper than even the SVS. That thing is a beast at 83lbs!
Anyone have the velo 5000 whoi could comment?

Thanks

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That's a big room. I'd have to agree that you would probably want to step up to a more heavy duty SVS, in which case the Velo looks like it might be the way to go. I went to the factory when they were in San Jose (applied for a job too :) ). Their new place is just a few minutes from where I work. I'm going to have to see if I can drop by and see the new place...

D

df4801

Banned
So if I compare the velo to the Hsu or upper SVS, will I really notice a big diff?
I am a novice and just want good sounding movies. Also trying to save a buck, I will pay the xtra $300 or so for the Hsu "IF" its really going to make a big difference to me. Any thoughts
Thanks!

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
i think putting the extra 300 into the SVS plus line would be better for ht than the HSU,

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
buckeye, do you think the ultra is better than the plus/2?

D

df4801

Banned
What I dont understand is how I can get the velo DLS5000R for $200-300 less than the hsu or comparable svs?
This thing is huge (83lbs) and has 600/1000 watts and goes to down to 23.
What gives? It seems more powerful than the Hsu vtf-3 that everyone loves.
Am I missing something about the 5000?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12283

This guy has one. I was talking to him about it because I was interested in the sub, but im going for an Energy S12.3.

the energy is quiet good also,

SYSTEM TYPE BASS REFLEX WITH DOWNWARD FIRING PORTS
AMPLIFIER POWER OUTPUT 300 WATTS CONTINUOUS,1200 WATTS DYNAMIC PEAK
WOOFER 12" POLYPROPYLENE CERAMIC/GLASS/MICA DEPOSIT HYBRID WITH RIBBED ELLIPTICAL SURROUND
VOICE COIL DIAMETER 2"
MAXIMUM DRIVER EXCURSION 1.61" PEAK-TO-PEAK
FREQUENCY RESPONSE 19Hz-120Hz +/- 3dB
CONTINUOUS VARIABLE PHASE -180 to +180 DEGREES, continuously variable
VARIABLE LOW PASS FILTER 50Hz-110Hz @ 18dB/OCTAVE
INPUTS LOW LEVEL, STEREO HIGH LEVEL (SPEAKER LEVEL)
CROSSOVER FILTER SWITCH ACTIVE/BYPASS
POWER SWITCH OFF or AUTO or ON
DIMENSIONS 490x418x465mm (HxWxD), 19.3" x 16.46" x 18.3"
CABINET WEIGHT 47 POUNDS
FINISH BLACK

It's cheaper then the velo by 100 bucks(for me), and I though it sounded better, not as boomy.

sheep

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Well, both the VTF-3 and PB-12 are capable of 18Hz in-room. What that 15" driver and power is likely to buy you is a lot of air movement that will really excite the room, but it doesn't sound like it will reach quite as deep. The cabinet is likely tuned higher, it is slot loaded vs tuned ports like the other two, and the overall design was for output vs extension. The advantage to the HSU and SVS PB-12+ is that you can tune to your taste; more output or more extension.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
jetyi83 said:
buckeye, do you think the ultra is better than the plus/2?
The Plus/2 is better IMO for the money. It's not as flashy in textured black, but you can't beat twin 12's with a 900 watt amp. That beast weighs 140lbs. I remember it putting out more air (in the rear ports) than my A/C in my truck. That sub was very impressive. The poor PB10 and 12 didn't have a chance after listening to the twins (not to knock the PB's - but it's like taking a spin in a Ferrari Enzo after getting out of a Honda S2000, and I love the S2000). If I had the room, I'd have the twins.

If you're going to spend that much on a sub, definitely spend the extra $200 and get a wood veneer. They are sooo sharp.

Just keep in mind, you are talking some big bucks now. If you had room in the two front corners, you could go with two of those Velodynes. ;)

Last edited:
Tsunamii

Tsunamii

Full Audioholic
All I know is I never had buyers remorse with my SVS... Great product.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
I was just tooling around the Velodyne website.

Velodyne uses magnets under 5lbs for their consumer subs, and then - bam, they surge up to 24lbs with the high end subs. We're talking SVS Ultra driver material. Unfortunately, the Velodyne 5000 has the smaller magnet. I'd still want to hear the unit, as the PB10 and PB12 magnets weren't all that massive. Nothing is going to beat a live demo, especially in house.

D

df4801

Banned
"The Plus/2 is better IMO for the money"

But that sub cost over double!
Why compare them?
I was just thinking that the 5000 would be a great sub for an average user at only around $500.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
df4801 said:
"The Plus/2 is better IMO for the money"

But that sub cost over double!
Why compare them?
I was just thinking that the 5000 would be a great sub for an average user at only around $500.
Because your room is BIG. If you are just looking for bass, the 5000 should do it for you. If you are looking for a lot of solid bass, either two of them or a better sub is what you're going to need.

D

df4801

Banned
Thanks j,
I know it takes a lot to get thru my thick head!
Just one more question though, what I was trying to figure out was ...
would the hsu vtf-3, or equivilent, be worth the xtra $200-300 bucks.
Take into consideration, this is my first sub, and I likely wont do any "tweaking" once the install guys set it up.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Well, that's a different angle on the story. I do know where you're coming from, and to be honest, the PB-10 in my room which is a few feet smaller than yours (19x20, high vaulted ceilings - about 15', open to the kitchen and a hallway) and while it doesn't have the output to flap pant legs, it does get it's point across without breaking a sweat. On movies like The Incredibles, it lets you know it's there, and at no time since I've had it has it shown signs of running out of breath. I've heard the regular PB-12 in a room a little larger than yours, EQ'ed, and it sounded very good.

I'd say that if you're looking to save a few $$, and for a first sub, the Velo should be fine. If you find that it isn't enough, you can add a second one. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis