Few questions regarding setup

T

tbwebdev34

Audioholic
So I just finished getting the speakers I wanted for the townhome 803d3, htm2d3, 805d3, 2 rel 212se subs. Atm I have a yamaha rxa3080 and was considering moving to a Marantz sr7015 if it would be better for my setup since I have a Rotel 1585 and mc452 as my amps. Found a good deal for a Marantz 7015 and mainly considered buying it because I can turn all the amps off and just use it as a av processor like I’ve been doing with the yamaha. Would this be a decent uograde or would I just be throwing money away by doing this.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It’s probably a horse a piece at this point. The main differences would be between audyssey and ypao. IME audyssey is better overall, and the app is handy, although a little hard to read on a phone. There’s a web version, but it’s 200 bucks, but it’s more granular. If your only using RC to set distance and level, then the one with the interface you like better would be the one I’d get. They’d really sound the same in direct modes so…
I don’t like Yamahas simply because of the menus and proprietary language that only serves to confuse, and not much else. They do make high performance gear. I just don’t like navigating it. I use a 6012 with a Yamaha pro amp on my mains. FWIW.
A real upgrade would be to the subwoofer.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Curious what you think the particular advantage would be for the Marantz in pre-amp mode vs your current Yamaha? I'm with William on the speaking Yamaha thing, as well as preferring the Audyssey options over YPAO. I think you're over thinking the Marantz' pre-amp mode, tho.

T

tbwebdev34

Audioholic
Was considering the life of the unit since I’m using external amps for the entire setup and the amps are always on in the yamaha per say. With the Marantz ideally amps would turn off and would only run the Rotel and McIntosh, eventually I will be moving to a storm or trinnov once I lll be the system to the media room av the living room where it is now. To the subs, the 212se pair are amazing and I consider svs and Id brands trash in the aspect of aesthetics.

T

tbwebdev34

Audioholic
Other than that I love the yamaha, got it from a local dealer here in Austin for cheap new in box, hesitant to spend more at the time since I also bought the mc452 Rotel 1585 and a men 220 at the same time. I am under the assumption that imax enhanced etc wouldn’t be truly beneficial upgrade from the yamaha to the Marantz plus I don’t need 120hz 4k, I only have a 83 g2 and a 65 a90j atm.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Was considering the life of the unit since I’m using external amps for the entire setup and the amps are always on in the yamaha per say. With the Marantz ideally amps would turn off and would only run the Rotel and McIntosh, eventually I will be moving to a storm or trinnov once I lll be the system to the media room av the living room where it is now. To the subs, the 212se pair are amazing and I consider svs and Id brands trash in the aspect of aesthetics.
Don't think I've seen any measurements on heat generated using that mode vs not....was thinking you were more after the slightly better distortion performance of the Denon/Marantz units in that mode. Personally I'd add a nice quiet fan to the Yamaha and not worry about it rather than changing avr unless you want some of the other features involved in such a change....but if I did want that D&M mode I'd probably just look for a more modern unit that also offers Dirac (as well as Audyssey options). Maybe just go to a Marantz pre-pro.

I think that line of Rel subs aren't attractive, and definitely overpriced for performance, but YMMV :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
To the subs, the 212se pair are amazing and I consider svs and Id brands trash in the aspect of aesthetics.
Well I’ll definitely give you that many ID brands could look spiffier! But for 4200ea, -6db@19hz performance could be much better and is completely overpriced. Since you have them and like them, the point is moot. Glad they’re working for you.

T

tbwebdev34

Audioholic
Well dang y’all really gave me good info…guess I’m keeping the yamaha. Really thought I’d gain something if changing….I will ask this though, what if I went to a Marantz av7706 or arcam av40? I’m seeing local dealer deals for the 7706 for 1899 and arcam av40 for 1799…plus taxes on both.

ben_

ben_

Junior Audioholic
What is the weakness you're looking to improve? It seems a little silly to spend that kind of money in some nebulous hope that things will be "better".

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well dang y’all really gave me good info…guess I’m keeping the yamaha. Really thought I’d gain something if changing….I will ask this though, what if I went to a Marantz av7706 or arcam av40? I’m seeing local dealer deals for the 7706 for 1899 and arcam av40 for 1799…plus taxes on both.
When I mentioned you might just get a Marantz pre-pro was to reduce worry about amp heat, wouldn't expect much difference beyond that with your current avr, tho.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis