Feeling the need to buy....but what exactly?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
<insert jaw drop here>

I tried editing my profile but for the life of me can't find how/where to add my location.

That's very kind of you. I moved further south from NoVA to get away from the traffic. Google says roughly 1:30 trip time, factoring in NoVA's patented Random Event Traffic Generator that could be a 3 hour one way trip so I'm not sure. I'm definitely tempted, especially if Dennis is available, I keep coming back to the BMRs.
Well worth the trip. The knowledge your likely to gain is invaluable. Six hours for a lifetime worth of knowledge in this hobby is priceless.

T

Tom Bodet

Enthusiast
Had a little time over at Crutchfield Charlottesville.

I've come to the conclusion that auditioning multiple speakers at the same time isn't fair. It's like...You have orange juice and then you have toothpaste. By themselves they're tasty, serve a purpose, etc... But brush your teeth then have a glass of OJ and GAH!

Really liked the Monitor Gold 300s. Thought the ML electros were...odd. Not bad, just different. Not sure I liked them. Some ML normal driver tower, kinda meh. PSB Imagine T3s were nice, maybe a little too warm but I kept swapping between them and the Golds. Everything else in the room was bright, honky, stuffy or harsh by comparison. There was a set of Warfdales in there, don't recall what, but I was disappointed.

There were no bookshelves I had any interest in so they were ignored.

I know all of the above were over my initial budget. I'm debating what I really want over getting everything at once. Nothing mind-blowing of note, but was happy to get in front of a couple ribbons to hear the differences.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I've come to the conclusion that auditioning multiple speakers at the same time isn't fair. It's like...You have orange juice and then you have toothpaste. By themselves they're tasty, serve a purpose, etc... But brush your teeth then have a glass of OJ and GAH!
Yes, you've made a good observation. Some manufacturers are known to "voice" their speakers so they sound noticeably different than most other speakers, and as a result stand out on the sales room floor. People often buy them based on their in-store impressions, but quickly tire of that different sound as they listen at home.
Really liked the Monitor Gold 300s. Thought the ML electros were...odd. Not bad, just different. Not sure I liked them. Some ML normal driver tower, kinda meh. PSB Imagine T3s were nice, maybe a little too warm but I kept swapping between them and the Golds. Everything else in the room was bright, honky, stuffy or harsh by comparison. There was a set of Warfdales in there, don't recall what, but I was disappointed.

There were no bookshelves I had any interest in so they were ignored.

I know all of the above were over my initial budget. I'm debating what I really want over getting everything at once. Nothing mind-blowing of note, but was happy to get in front of a couple ribbons to hear the differences.
So… when are you going to hear some Philharmonic BMRs?

T

Tom Bodet

Enthusiast
If things go to plan and Dennis can make time, it'll be 28-29th. If there's any chance of getting in front of your Salks at the same time I could occupy myself until you were available.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
IMHO, two "wonderful" speakers is always a better choice than 5-7 "good" speakers.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
If things go to plan and Dennis can make time, it'll be 28-29th. If there's any chance of getting in front of your Salks at the same time I could occupy myself until you were available.
I will be home all day on both the 28th & 29th. Let me know what you plan with Dennis. I live about 15 miles away from him.

T

Tom Bodet

Enthusiast
I've been remiss in updating this.

Met Dennis and Swerd. Had a tremendous time listening to the BMRs and Veracity STs and just BS'ing in general. Thanks to both of them for dealing with me.

Impressions:
BMRs: Dear God what an image / space they generate. Had a weird issue with certain songs and low end repro. Dennis thinks it was his CD player not liking my disc; I'm not knowledgeable to know enough about why, but I'm not sure I'm sold on the explanation. I feel a round 2 with my equipment may be in order.

Veracitys: Wow, never heard that before (low end related)

I'm totally on the fence. I realize the Veracitys are out of my range, but I've convinced myself a set of Song3s isn't out of the question.

LOVE Jim's cabinet work. Am engaging him in conversation next to get his input. Right now it's either straight up Song3s or have him build a set of BMR cabinets for Dennis.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis