Favorite sounding live albums.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I heard the live version first so the studio version just didn't sound as good. Just listening to it put me in a cabin high in the mountains with a big snowstorm on the way. Those were the days.
Agreed - the live version is all I remember. Kind of like these:
1580994714528.png

1580994752512.png

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
And now for something completely different!
1580994960046.png

Joe Jackson's Big World is one of my favorite "live" albums and it sounds fantastic (Jackson is a stickler about recording quality and most of his stuff sounds excellent). "Live" is in quotation marks as when this was released, it was, in essence, a studio album with all new material, that happened to be recorded in front of a live audience. The end product is the best of both (big) worlds: studio quality and live energy. The liner notes on how it was recorded are very interesting.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Speaking of good sounding live albums, I have a multi-ch DTS disc of the Allman Brothers Band at Fillmore East....but believe it's on a cd judging by the file size and that I can rip it with EAC.
The Fillmore East album is one of my favorites. When I vacuum the house, that wonderful weekly chore, I put on my earphones to drown out the vacuum and I almost always crank up the Allman Brothers, or REO, or Tom Petty. Its a ritual at this point. But it keeps those old albums in service.

The rip of the How the West was Won ended up an MP4 by format choice. The process uses tools that give a choice of output formats. I just usually choose that because it plays everywhere. And I didn't expect it to be just an audio output. I suppose its similar to the DVD-A stuff: great sound effort with nothing to look at. I can live with it because the sound is pretty stinkin' good. So many of the 1970's live recordings start getting way too bright or brittle when you crank 'em up. Ear fatigue sets in pretty quick. I assume that's an artifact of how they were mixed and put together or the style of the times. This one however stays between the lines even at a pretty high volume. No fatigue so far. Not an easy thing to do. I give Jimmy Page lots of props for figuring out how to do it that way

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Been listening to Larry Carlton & Robben Ford - Unplugged a lot lately, very nice stuff.
Larry Carlton can play that guitar. I have a couple of his studio albums. Love em.
Pretty good for a guy nobody has ever heard of.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Larry Carlton can play that guitar. I have a couple of his studio albums. Love em.
Pretty good for a guy nobody has ever heard of.
He's likely been on enough studio sessions to the point where people may not have heard of him but likely have heard him.....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The Fillmore East album is one of my favorites. When I vacuum the house, that wonderful weekly chore, I put on my earphones to drown out the vacuum and I almost always crank up the Allman Brothers, or REO, or Tom Petty. Its a ritual at this point. But it keeps those old albums in service.

The rip of the How the West was Won ended up an MP4 by format choice. The process uses tools that give a choice of output formats. I just usually choose that because it plays everywhere. And I didn't expect it to be just an audio output. I suppose its similar to the DVD-A stuff: great sound effort with nothing to look at. I can live with it because the sound is pretty stinkin' good. So many of the 1970's live recordings start getting way too bright or brittle when you crank 'em up. Ear fatigue sets in pretty quick. I assume that's an artifact of how they were mixed and put together or the style of the times. This one however stays between the lines even at a pretty high volume. No fatigue so far. Not an easy thing to do. I give Jimmy Page lots of props for figuring out how to do it that way
Nothing against Jimmy, but I do wonder what Steven Wilson might have been able to do with it :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
It may have been mentioned previously, but live albums by Genesis (especially "Seconds Out"", but not so much their very early Genesis "Live" which was pushed on them by the record label) always impressed me that I generally liked it better than the studio versions of the same songs!
Most notable is the quality of the bass!
Here is an example (although subject to the lossy format):

cornemuse

cornemuse

Junior Audioholic
Dont know which (live or not) album it was on but the live 'Midnite Ride' version by the Doors is gotta be right up there near the very top.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
B1EED2DF-F9BB-4DD6-9F2D-56AD96F19D72.jpeg
Marc Cohn — Live 04-05 for me is the best live recording I’ve ever herd featuring his whole band . I caught this tour and have seen Marc on solo tours he’s a very underrated artist. Loves to meet fans and will talk at length to anyone at meet and greats .

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
On DVD:
  • Fleetwood Mac: The Dance (where they bring out the live marching band for Tusk). Lindsey Buckingham's version of Big Love is mind blowing. The DVD is two sided. Stereo LPCM on one side and 5.1 Dolby on the other.
  • Eagles: Farewell Tour from Melbourne. Hats off to their engineer for this one. Great mix.
  • Peter Gabriel: Secret World Live. Great line up of musicians and one of my favorite live performances.
Vinyl:
  • Bob Seger: Live Bullet. The live version of Turn the Page will always be the best one.
  • Eric Clapton: MTV unplugged. A couple acoustic guitars and simple accompaniment make for a wonderful sounding recording.
  • Pat Travers: Live! Go For What You Know. Still a definitive party album for late '70s rock. Not only is Pat Travers a great guitarist, but the way Pat Thrall plays with him live along with drummer Tommy Aldridge and the very underrated bassist Mars Cowling created a live album that outshines his studio work.
  • Ted Nugent: Double Live Gonzo. Not because it sounds good, but just because. Regardless of what you think about the man, Ted Nugent can play the guitar! Check out his chops in Stormtroopin' or the great ebb and flow of Stranglehold. This album does a great job of capturing what it's like to see Nugent live, and yes, I saw him play at the Pontiac Silver-dome in the '80s and it was awesome.

Last edited:
John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
On DVD:
  • Fleetwood Mac: The Dance (where they bring out the live marching band for Tusk). Lindsey Buckingham's version of Big Love is mind blowing. The DVD is two sided. Stereo LPCM on one side and 5.1 Dolby on the other.
  • Eagles: Farewell Tour from Melbourne. Hats off to their engineer for this one. Great mix.
  • Peter Gabriel: Secret World Live. Great line up of musicians and one of my favorite live performances.
Vinyl:
  • Bob Seger: Live Bullet. The live version of Turn the Page will always be the best one.
  • Eric Clapton: MTV unplugged. A couple acoustic guitars and simple accompaniment make for a wonderful sounding recording.
  • Pat Travers: Live! Go For What You Know. Still a definitive party album for late '70s rock. Not only is Pat Travers a great guitarist, but the way Pat Thrall plays with him live along with drummer Tommy Aldridge and the very underrated bassist Mars Growling created a live album that outshines his studio work.
  • Ted Nugent: Double Live Gonzo. Not because it sounds good, but just because. Regardless of what you think about the man, Ted Nugent can play the guitar! Check out his chops in Stormtroopin' or the great ebb and flow of Stranglehold. This album does a great job of capturing what it's like to see Nugent live, and yes, I saw him play at the Pontiac Silver-dome in the '80s and it was awesome.
Mars Cowling! My high school football team's favorite song to get us worked up was "Boom Boom (Out Goes the Lights)".

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I'll have to email Roon for the typo. Should have checked wiki for the spelling. ;)
I only knew that because I was a huge fan, specifically of Crash and Burn.
1621720753491.png

"RECORDED & MIXED 30IPS NONDOLBY, TURN IT UP LOUD"

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis