Faulty sub amp on monolith 12?

J

JRED 1219

Audioholic
It would be good if he could turn his "active sub" with a bad amp into a "passive sub" so he can use his own External Amps.

This is exactly the reason I hate the idea of putting amps inside subs and speakers, especially if the speakers/subs weigh so much. Shipping becomes a problem. Another problem is if these companies don't have spare parts, especially a few years later.

So it's best to keep Amps OUTSIDE the components.
Anyone have a suggestion for a good external amp to use in this case?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Anyone have a suggestion for a good external amp to use in this case?
Relatively inexpensive and high quality external amps are usually from Yamaha, Crown, and QSC.

When you have Passive Subs, you can use any of these amps.

J

JRED 1219

Audioholic
Relatively inexpensive and high quality external amps are usually from Yamaha, Crown, and QSC.

When you have Passive Subs, you can use any of these amps.
I have some spare channels on a 5 x 200 watt monolith amplifier. Could that work, or is more power needed seeing as the original was a 500 watt class d?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have some spare channels on a 5 x 200 watt monolith amplifier. Could that work, or is more power needed seeing as the original was a 500 watt class d?
The 200WPC amp should work. I'm using my ATI AT2005 Amp to power all my subs.

Sub amps are usually rated for 4 ohms. So that's 500 Watts into 4 ohms.

Your 200WPC amp is probably close to 500W into 4 ohms if needed. But I bet you won't need anywhere near that much.

J

JRED 1219

Audioholic
The 200WPC amp should work. I'm using my ATI AT2005 Amp to power all my subs.

Sub amps are usually rated for 4 ohms. So that's 500 Watts into 4 ohms.

Your 200WPC amp is probably close to 500W into 4 ohms if needed. But I bet you won't need anywhere near that much.
Cool, and the internal DSP that was programmed isn't a concern?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Cool, and the internal DSP that was programmed isn't a concern?
My main concern is knowing how to turn the active sub into a passive sub.

Once it has been physically converted to a passive sub, the internal DSP is not part of the equation since the internal Amp has been disconnected when you turn this active sub into a passive sub.

So no more internal amp and no more internal DSP, which is part of the internal amp.

But I have no idea how you turn an active sub into a passive sub. For one, I think active subs have internal Crossovers. Passive subs don't have internal crossovers.

J

JRED 1219

Audioholic

Once it has been physically converted to a passive sub, the internal DSP is not part of the equation since the internal Amp has been disconnected when you turn this active sub into a passive sub.

So no more internal amp and no more internal DSP, which is part of the internal amp.

But I have no idea how you turn an active sub into a passive sub. For one, I think active subs have internal Crossovers. Passive subs don't have internal crossovers.
Ok. Well if it happens again looks like I have options.

C

CoryW

Audioholic
If the sub is new and already has a faulty amp as TLS thinks, might consider using passive subs and using your own amps.

A friend of mine had a big SVS flagship sub, so it wasn't cheap. He had to replace 2 sub amps. Now I hooked him up with passive subs.
Ditto man. After a real swap fest with DefTech, Infinity, JBL sub amps, I’ve gone all RBH passive with RBH sub amps. Never been happier. It’s a far higher quality of low end.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Just don't power up the plate amp and it's voila a passive sub once you access the leads to the driver. Just have to sneak in some connection tor an external amp, not that hard and can be done a few different ways. You're not going to connect an external amp to the plate amp, so the plate amp's dsp or low pass filter (let alone a crossover for your speakers) isn't going to be utilized. You can add dsp with an external unit like a minidsp or get a power amp with appropriate dsp on board.

I use Crown XLS1500s on my diy subs (but they don't have dsp for the sub particularly) but QSC and Yamaha are good choices (maybe even Behringer), altho a pro amp's fan noise can be an issue with some models (the XLS are very quiet). The spare channels on your Monolith could well work on their own without risk if you don't get silly with the volume control and ULF content....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It may or may not be crazy corporate thinking in not just removing an amp from a sub on hand at Monoprice and shipping that (particularly to another country) rather than bear the expense of shipping back and forth a complete sub....but all depends on what that distribution warehouse of theirs is equipped to do and how often it happens....

J

JRED 1219

Audioholic
It may or may not be crazy corporate thinking in not just removing an amp from a sub on hand at Monoprice and shipping that (particularly to another country) rather than bear the expense of shipping back and forth a complete sub....but all depends on what that distribution warehouse of theirs is equipped to do and how often it happens....
I think it's crazy fyi

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I think it's crazy fyi
Just tell them to cannibalize one they have and that you are active on audio forums, which is were the sub was introduced to you. If the first person is working with you, ask for their boss as to "not take up any more of their time" .

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just tell them to cannibalize one they have and that you are active on audio forums, which is were the sub was introduced to you. If the first person is working with you, ask for their boss as to "not take up any more of their time" .
Yeah, seriously, who the heck is going to want to buy a Monolith Active Sub knowing that if anything goes wrong, they will have to ship the entire sub back to Monoprice! :eek:

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Well at least it isn’t the 15in Monolith. That one is super heavy.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis