B

BEW506

Enthusiast
Hello,
I have been using Boston Acoustics bookshelf speakers for 10 years or so. MCS100 is the model number. Recently the subwoofer developed a 60cycle buzz. I changed the capacitors but it didn’t fix the problem. I’m looking for advice on next steps. Should I replace all 5.1 speakers so they are matched? Or just the sub? The subwoofer is inside of a cabinet down firing. Do I need another down firing sub or does it really matter? I have seen Polk PSW 111, PSW 108,

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
That's not a Subwoofer.

Here is a Sub in the same price range as the Polks you listed but would perform better

B

BEW506

Enthusiast
That's not a Subwoofer.

Here is a Sub in the same price range as the Polks you listed but would perform better

Thank you for your reply. I will check out this sub. My primary question deals with just replace the failed sub or replace all of the speakers so I have a matched set. I’m not sure what is better. Thanks

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Thank you for your reply. I will check out this sub. My primary question deals with just replace the failed sub or replace all of the speakers so I have a matched set. I’m not sure what is better. Thanks
Those are satellite speakers if you're looking for a much better home theater experience it is recommended that you replace the whole system if you state a budget I'll help you with that

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
. . . . My primary question deals with just replace the failed sub or replace all of the speakers so I have a matched set.
I’m not sure what is better. Thanks
Just the sub is all it would take to fix your issue.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
B

BEW506

Enthusiast
Those are satellite speakers if you're looking for a much better home theater experience it is recommended that you replace the whole system if you state a budget I'll help you with that
We bought the mcs 100 package due to space constraints. I saw a Klipsch 5.1 for under $500 which would fit in the cabinet space I have. If you think the satellite speakers have more life in them I could entertain a sub cost in the 300-350 range. To me it’s a matter of a high quality sub with low cost satellites years ago and how much of a mismatch will/will not be there?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
There's really no point to a sub matching speakers by brand except perhaps aesthetics. Your satellites have little bass capability with an f3 of 120hz so a sub with an extended upper range would probably be best....the Dayton 1200 might work well enough. I'd really just consider replacing both speakers and sub, tho....but if money is tight just the sub.

B

BEW506

Enthusiast
There's really no point to a sub matching speakers by brand except perhaps aesthetics. Your satellites have little bass capability with an f3 of 120hz so a sub with an extended upper range would probably be best....the Dayton 1200 might work well enough. I'd really just consider replacing both speakers and sub, tho....but if money is tight just the sub.
Thank you!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis