extremely loud outdoor speaker

V

vin69

Audiophyte
need an outdoor loudspeaker capable of replicating military weapon sounds @ > 132dB @ 2M

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=204
Max. SPL/1m (calc) 139 dB -> ~132db SPL at 2meters
but then again it won't sound very realistic to you since explosions and gun shorts have most of their energy in very low bass range so you'd need an extremely capable subs as well

ref: http://www.montana.edu/rmaher/publications/maher_ieeesafe_0407_109-113.pdf
That is why I asked him how much money he had. Those speakers are 5K per pair, and they will need at least 2 speakers

To reproduce a gun shot you need and very good bass response. That means very powerful subs.

I would say to do this properly, amps, speakers and subs, this is a 20 to 30K project most likely at the upper range of that, if not higher.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Still cheaper than buying a Howitzer I suppose. :)
May be not. I think I seriously under balled the cost of doing this. They would need 130 db in the field. The EV only meets his spec 1 meter in front of the speaker. He would require at least two stacks of the Danely J90s plus subs as the 3db point is 47 Hz. To actually represent a battle I bet the cost of doing this electronically would be around the same cost as the weapons firing blanks, if not higher.

To make this in anyway realistic would be an enormously complex project.

I would like to hear from the OP what the point of it is.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I suspect the NSA will want to know as well...

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Danley has some cool outdoor videos . Pretty neat

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If you are willing to forgo some low frequencies, such a project doesn't have to be expensive. Another thing, if this is to be used in some outdoor battlefield simulation, only a single speaker may be needed, not two channel, which will alleviate costs. However, the speaker will need to be outdoor grade, and that will not be easy.

Such a speaker will need caution for use though. Exposure to 130 dB + can very quickly cause permanent hearing loss.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis