Extreme punchy Bass aggressive rhythm?

S

Sassafras LLC

Audioholic Intern
I'm a headbanger. I thoroughly enjoy death and black metal. Lately I've been listening to some '70s Prog Rock. Today was the first time I listen to Emerson lake and Palmer I was really impressed with the first album especially the songs barbarian and flats. I almost feel like these bands were trying to get to that level of what we hear today with modern metal. Any suggestions for just some very aggressive music that's not technically metal? I like loud punchy bass guitar and very impactful kick drum. I Also like dark pipe organ music. I just don't know where to look to find these types of musics. I can tell you all day long about death and black metal but all this other stuff I am completely clueless LOL.

Of course I like Primus but I almost feel like they turn the volume down on the bass guitar back a little bit so he doesn't completely dominate the song.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Killswitch engage might be fun for you. They’re a metal ore band, maybe the original lol. Interesting mix of power and dynamics. Justin Foleys drums are tight and impactful.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
“All that remains” is another band that might fit. Although for me, the only album I really like a lot is from ‘06 called fall of ideals. I think it’s the only album with drummer Shannon Lucas who’s exemplary use of double kicks is highlighted throughout the album. In fact tye “generic” ringtone on my phone is from the breakdown section of a song from that album called “sixes”. Pretty fun.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I'm more of a prog rock fan but listen to a little metal and lean more towards bands that mix in progressive elements as opposed to death or thrash metal. I came across 12 Foot Ninja from Australia and not only is the music pretty good but a number of their videos are comedic, One Hand Killing below. They have some fun stuff on YouTube.

I wish Pogre was still active; he introduced me to some metal bands I never heard of before like Bad Omen and Indian metal band Bloodywood. Wiki has list of metal bands, but what's cool is that they have sub-genres under "See also" so you can also get a list of progressive or symphonic metals bands, etc., and then look them up on YouTube or a streaming service: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_heavy_metal_bands

S

Sassafras LLC

Audioholic Intern
I'm more of a prog rock fan but listen to a little metal and lean more towards bands that mix in progressive elements as opposed to death or thrash metal. I came across 12 Foot Ninja from Australia and not only is the music pretty good but a number of their videos are comedic, One Hand Killing below. They have some fun stuff on YouTube.

I wish Pogre was still active; he introduced me to some metal bands I never heard of before like Bad Omen and Indian metal band Bloodywood. Wiki has list of metal bands, but what's cool is that they have sub-genres under "See also" so you can also get a list of progressive or symphonic metals bands, etc., and then look them up on YouTube or a streaming service: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_heavy_metal_bands

That band is awesome! Thanks for turning me on to them

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

That was fun!
Pretty funny too.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
That band is awesome! Thanks for turning me on to them
Yeah, Youtube can be a fun source of new material. It's not metal, but if you're delving into progressive rock I would recommend Porcupine Tree, a favorite among many members here. Here is a link to their YouTube page https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9OFhiq5cs10XYGDwBO_7xg. The videos from Closure / Continuation at the top are pretty good and if you like the music then scroll down to the complete playlists under Releases for Fear of a Blank Planet and Deadwing. The live videos from Arriving Somewhere and Anesthetize are great too.

Pipe organ in rock is a lot harder to find. Most classic rock organ tunes feature the Hammond organ. The best example of that, I would say, is Deep Purple's song Lazy. That has an incredible organ intro that starts soft and then goes into distortion. The blues bass rift is pretty catchy and you can tell it's a Rickenbacker. (That whole album is a classic.)

For pipe organ the first guy I think of is Rick Wakeman from Yes. Early 70's prog rock that is a far cry from metal, but if you like Emerson Lake and Palmer, you might like Yes. The guitar is very clean but technical and Chris Squire is one of the best bass players that ever lived with a signature sound. Perhaps you have heard the song Roundabout from the album Fragile? That's typical of their work and a good intro. Wakeman did not use a lot of pipe organ but when he did he used it to great effect. My favorite album is Close to the Edge and that song does feature pipe organ in the middle. Be warned though... it's an 18 minute song back when bands filled the entire half of an LP with one song. I've probably listened to that song more than any other. It is full of rhythmic and melodic changes and I never tire of it. Very progressive but not everyone's cup of tea.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, Youtube can be a fun source of new material. It's not metal, but if you're delving into progressive rock I would recommend Porcupine Tree, a favorite among many members here. Here is a link to their YouTube page https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9OFhiq5cs10XYGDwBO_7xg. The videos from Closure / Continuation at the top are pretty good and if you like the music then scroll down to the complete playlists under Releases for Fear of a Blank Planet and Deadwing. The live videos from Arriving Somewhere and Anesthetize are great too.

Pipe organ in rock is a lot harder to find. Most classic rock organ tunes feature the Hammond organ. The best example of that, I would say, is Deep Purple's song Lazy. That has an incredible organ intro that starts soft and then goes into distortion. The blues bass rift is pretty catchy and you can tell it's a Rickenbacker. (That whole album is a classic.)

For pipe organ the first guy I think of is Rick Wakeman from Yes. Early 70's prog rock that is a far cry from metal, but if you like Emerson Lake and Palmer, you might like Yes. The guitar is very clean but technical and Chris Squire is one of the best bass players that ever lived with a signature sound. Perhaps you have heard the song Roundabout from the album Fragile? That's typical of their work and a good intro. Wakeman did not use a lot of pipe organ but when he did he used it to great effect. My favorite album is Close to the Edge and that song does feature pipe organ in the middle. Be warned though... it's an 18 minute song back when bands filled the entire half of an LP with one song. I've probably listened to that song more than any other. It is full of rhythmic and melodic changes and I never tire of it. Very progressive but not everyone's cup of tea.
Great call on porcupine tree!!! I will check out the other links. Thanks. I know I’m not the OP but if I see a nod to PT I have to chime in. Gavin Harrison is an amazing drummer on par with the likes of Danny and Neil.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I have to give a nod to lovin' for the introduction to Porcupine Tree. They've become one of my favorites and I like Steve Wilson's work as well. Gavin Harrison has also played with The Pineapple Thief, another good prog rock band.

S

Sassafras LLC

Audioholic Intern

I like gothic pipe organ sounds. It doesn't have to be in rock and roll or metal I've been trying to search for a downloads of high-resolution flac files of pipe organ and have not been able to find any.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I have to give a nod to lovin' for the introduction to Porcupine Tree. They've become one of my favorites and I like Steve Wilson's work as well. Gavin Harrison has also played with The Pineapple Thief, another good prog rock band.
Oh yeah pineapple thief too. Mmmmm

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic

Rick Wakeman is great. Suggest trying his solo albums too which have just about every kind of keyboard. Tony Banks from Genesis plays excellent prog rock keyboards but can’t remember anything with a real heavy organ sound.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis