Extinction of dlp ? why led became king [emoji146]? Yay or ney ? Have you owned one ? Help info

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Now that's just crazy talk! You can make your own lava! How many people do you know who can say that??

What you need to do is get a cast iron dutch oven, find a good roast, stew or chili recipe and cook a kickass dinner for your parents with your death ray. If that doesn't win 'em over I don't know what will!

After you appease them and show 'em how versatile your new death ray is, you can start running your own experiments. Melt some pennies, see if you can get it hot enough to melt steel, make some lava, blow up your a-hole neighbor's car, blind salespeople and Jehova's witnesses...

The possibilities are endless and quite frankly I'm a little disappointed that you don't see it. C'mon man, unleash your creativity and imagination! You NEED a death ray!
Post of the day!
...blind salespeople and Jehovahs witnesses....
Awesome.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
The "Death Ray" was one of the best weapons available in the old PC game Master of Orion 2 which incidentally was one of the greatest space themed games ever IMHO. :)
Yeah sounds like unless you don’t have a tv a dlp might be worth it . But if there sub par to the tv in using already definitely not worth it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah sounds like unless you don’t have a tv a dlp might be worth it . But if there sub par to the tv in using already definitely not worth it .

Have you read nothing I typed?! DEATH RAY!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm not even kidding either. If I stumble across a free DLP tv I'm totally making a death ray.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I'm not even kidding either. If I stumble across a free DLP tv I'm totally making a death ray.
Can we go back to consideration if this is a Serious quality type of tv or are they junk ?
Thread is supposed to be about using them as a tv but I like your creativity.
Are you essentially saying there junk ? Dead technology for the annnunakis back in 22000 bc
I hassle would call it a death ray :: but yeah here the sunlight is notnedenthrew

Last edited:
NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
DLP tv's are not going to be better than your current LCD TV. IMO, they tend to not be anywhere near as sharp as LCD's. Forget about the DLP, you'll just have another piece of junk sitting around being unused and your parents will kill you.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Can we go back to consideration if this is a Serious quality type of tv or are they junk ?
Thread is supposed to be about using them as a tv but I like your creativity.
Are you essentially saying there junk ? Dead technology for the annnunakis back in 22000 bc
I hassle would call it a death ray :: but yeah here the sunlight is notnedenthrew

No, I'm not saying it's junk because you might be able to repurpose the screen to make a death ray...

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
DLP tv's are not going to be better than your current LCD TV. IMO, they tend to not be anywhere near as sharp as LCD's. Forget about the DLP, you'll just have another piece of junk sitting around being unused and your parents will kill you.
Yeah well said !! Another hard pass don’t need any more junk but it’s nice to know current tv are still better then dlp .

Case closed and modern tv reign supreme and a ton thinner . They would be happier if I got a job and got an oled haha less bulk..
probably just stick with my 4k tv until 8k is standard.

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
You were beating around the bush Pogre. A direct approach was needed. ;)
Yeah free is a amazing price so unless it’s absolutely trash compare to my 4k tv I was asking for serious information. Clearly dlp is dead technology unless you buy a real projector these days . R.I.P.

To just give a hdtv dlp away for free is screenings maybe it’s obsolete junk haha ? Film probably looks better tho on dlp .

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah free is a amazing price so unless it’s absolutely trash compare to my 4k tv I was asking for serious information. Clearly dlp is dead technology unless you buy a real projector these days . R.I.P.

To just give a hdtv dlp away for free is screenings maybe it’s obsolete junk haha ? Film probably looks better tho on dlp .
Like I said, you get what you pay for. I'd rather watch a film on a modern LCD tv vs an older dlp tv.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Like I said, you get what you pay for. I'd rather watch a film on a modern LCD tv vs an older dlp tv.
Yeah haha guess I already have a 2010 lcd and a 2015 led ../ that probably fine .
I have a crt I wanna set up sometime for older stuff that does not upconvert well .

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
DLP is hardly dead. DLP is the king of front projection and basically dominates the entry level front projection market as well as having a ton of products all across the board and is a major player in digital cinemas. Almost guaranteed that the last time you went to a movie theater that was digital, you were looking at a DLP projector.

The thing is that DLP rear projection televisions, much like LCD rear projection televisions, LCoS rear projection television, and yes, CRT rear projection television, were all at a major disadvantage in rooms with bright light. They just couldn't compete with bright lights. So, even though they could reach some crazy sizes, like 60" diagonal or even larger. I think Mitsubishi had an 82" or so DLP rear projection unit... But, at the end of the day, these things weren't very bright. CRT televisions were brighter, but were size limited and heavy as balls.

So, when flat panel displays started on the market... well, it didn't mean much. A 50" NEC plasma display was well over $10,000. Compared to a sub $5,000 60" DLP rear projection. Pretty clear who the winner was. But, when flat panels started dropping in price and a 50" plasma was $3,000 the game started to change. There were tons of rear projection TVs on the market, but when people went to buy new, it wasn't rear projection they were looking at but plasma television. Then pricing really started to bottom out and the LCD display began rolling out to market. These displays were thinner and were getting lighter and lighter which made shipping easier as well as installation.

Lamps aren't really a major issue with many of these companies. You quite realistically should be able to get replacement lamps for years and years to come, but over time, the rest of the electronics will most certainly fail. Projectors have fans and other moving parts that will fail over time. The projectors also generate a fair bit of heat which eventually damage the internals. Count on it.

A DLP, LCD, or LCoS rear projection television could very well work, and people are definitely getting rid of them as they buy brand new projectors, but for those looking for a nice big HDTV, then it could be quite a score for zero cost. But, it really does ask to be used in a darker room.
I worked at Circuit City during the rise of flat panels and it was always nice to sell the DLP/Lcos/lcd rear projection sets just because of the markup and price for the size TV you got.

Then slowly we ONLY had Mitsubishi units and everything else was LCD/Plasma. The flat panels were not all that great at the time, but it was nice when people would buy them when their DLP bulb went out and we'd "destroy" the TV for them. Lots of us got free DLP tvs that way. All we had to do was put a new bulb in and were ready to go.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I worked at Circuit City during the rise of flat panels and it was always nice to sell the DLP/Lcos/lcd rear projection sets just because of the markup and price for the size TV you got.

Then slowly we ONLY had Mitsubishi units and everything else was LCD/Plasma. The flat panels were not all that great at the time, but it was nice when people would buy them when their DLP bulb went out and we'd "destroy" the TV for them. Lots of us got free DLP tvs that way. All we had to do was put a new bulb in and were ready to go.
Yeah my grandma had a really nice non hdtv projector tv my uncle destroyed it because he convinced her it was broke . All it needed was a new bulb , that 50” was light years better then anything I have today for old films . The picture was more grainy textured like movie theater R.I.P. projector TVs but hey you can always buy a projector right.??
I’m the only one who knew anything about electronics yet no one asked or told me I just shows up and it was gone . Man those old tv were massive !

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai

R.I.P. circuit city
Guess the makers of dlp & projection tv should had added a replace bulb indicator...
Real shame this form of hdtv went extinct rather then being innovated and made thinner and better .
It’s always tempting to accept a free dlp especially if projector tv look more like the film in theaters but led better ?? Ehh lower contrast probably .

Can’t get anymore TVs til I move out . R.I.P.

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I’ve seen enough dlp or projector TVs HDDO peas on the side of the road to fill up the whole garage with .
Always the DOPe dlp with the massive speakers on the bottom so even if I wanted it it wouldn’t fit in my car

If I had a truck I just might be able to build a deathray ......
Not enough sunlight in Ohio

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Now if only I could talk him down to 0 might have me a death ray ::::

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah well said !! Another hard pass don’t need any more junk but it’s nice to know current tv are still better then dlp .

Case closed and modern tv reign supreme and a ton thinner . They would be happier if I got a job and got an oled haha less bulk..
probably just stick with my 4k tv until 8k is standard.

Just sayin'...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis