Extinction of dlp ? why led became king [emoji146]? Yay or ney ? Have you owned one ? Help info

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Are these actually decent TVs for movies ???
I noticed lots of people trying to dump dlp for free claiming they work just fine
Sounds like bs to me .
Dlp simply could not compete with cheaper lcd and plasma or produce as good of a projector what exactly killed them off ?
Examples of someone dumping one for feee haha looks so big and heavy .

In skeptical of these advertisements modern tv are way better right ? And no expensive bulbs need replacement

And what on earth
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Those TVs weigh almost nothing. DLP was great in it's time, but has been surpassed at this point. Pretty sure finding bulbs for these things is going to be impossible at some point.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Those TVs weigh almost nothing. DLP was great in it's time, but has been surpassed at this point. Pretty sure finding bulbs for these things is going to be impossible at some point.
Yeah feel sorry for whoever adopts this tv I’m sure my 2015 non hdr led tv is better haha maybe not for movies , but bulbs will be gone and this tv needs a fuse .
Hdtv crt are a ton heavier then dlp ?

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
I had a Sony DLP back in 2006-10. Actually thought the picture looked pretty good for the price (at the time, DLP was much cheaper than plasma but LED quality was pretty weak), but the form-factor and having to replace the bulbs got pretty old. If you find one for free that's in good shape, I think it's still a viable option if you don't care about wall-mounting

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I had a Sony DLP back in 2006-10. Actually thought the picture looked pretty good for the price (at the time, DLP was much cheaper than plasma but LED quality was pretty weak), but the form-factor and having to replace the bulbs got pretty old. If you find one for free that's in good shape, I think it's still a viable option if you don't care about wall-mounting
Is it better then this dreadful tv with light bleed during movie ??
Apparently the os is trash and most models form this year have bleeding and light bloom issue .
I’ve had this tv for 4-5 years
Yeah not sure what condition this one is in advertising makes it look good but how can it work and need a new fuse ?
Maybe I should worry more about finding a job . Oled or used plasma is top for picture right?
But for free dlp may be worth it for a secondary tv screen right ?
Way lighter then the fat dlp with bottom speaker u always see given away !

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Not sure if dlp is worth the effort if the bulbs don’t last long enough. Maybe I just need a better tv ?
It will be a while til I can find a job so if dlp
Is superior for movies maybe worth considering one if free. ??

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai

Question is how long will bulbs even exist on the market ? And cost each
Dlp is definitely more film like then my blunder of a 55” tv but if it’s better don’t know ??
Anymore help advice ? Leaping liZards ??
It’s a ghost town here

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
No. DLP is not better. Calibrate your tv with a spears and munsil disk for starters.

Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark and Calibration Disc 2nd Edition https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CKWI13O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_XhHZDb7TG1HS0
DLP suffers from rainbow effect. Any one you get will be a fixer upper too. Calibrate and suffer with your lcd. Get a job. Go to a pawn shop, we have a couple in my town. Decent used TVs are cheap. They also have audio gear that’s not very expensive either. Saw a beautiful pair of JBL bookshelf’s for 75 bucks. Can’t remember the model number. Point is, stop wasting money you don’t have on $hit that needs as much money as the difference in just buying something decent. I love your enthusiasm, but you gotta play the long game.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
No. DLP is not better. Calibrate your tv with a spears and munsil disk for starters.

Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark and Calibration Disc 2nd Edition https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CKWI13O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_XhHZDb7TG1HS0
DLP suffers from rainbow effect. Any one you get will be a fixer upper too. Calibrate and suffer with your lcd. Get a job. Go to a pawn shop, we have a couple in my town. Decent used TVs are cheap. They also have audio gear that’s not very expensive either. Saw a beautiful pair of JBL bookshelf’s for 75 bucks. Can’t remember the model number. Point is, stop wasting money you don’t have on $hit that needs as much money as the difference in just buying something decent. I love your enthusiasm, but you gotta play the long game.
Yeah crt was more useful then a dlp ... I’ll try and focus on job hunt maybe I just like learning a bit more about why technology went extinct. And or something I Just need to worry about more important stuff then solve my issues with calibration, I could try calibration while In looking for a job .

Maybe dead technology except the plasma
Is all a lost cauSe and eventually plasma willl cease to exist . They don’t last forever

I’m sure someday something will happen we’re oled or something will finally be closer to pioneer Kuro or film quality .
I should be happy I even have a tv.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai

Not sure what rainbows effect is but it sounds bad . Basically all projector style tv died and went extinct because because it was too bulky and heavy and plasma was the final death blow.

I need a job , then I can upgrade my audio , at the rate video Keeps getting better I should just calibrate my gear .

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
DLP is hardly dead. DLP is the king of front projection and basically dominates the entry level front projection market as well as having a ton of products all across the board and is a major player in digital cinemas. Almost guaranteed that the last time you went to a movie theater that was digital, you were looking at a DLP projector.

The thing is that DLP rear projection televisions, much like LCD rear projection televisions, LCoS rear projection television, and yes, CRT rear projection television, were all at a major disadvantage in rooms with bright light. They just couldn't compete with bright lights. So, even though they could reach some crazy sizes, like 60" diagonal or even larger. I think Mitsubishi had an 82" or so DLP rear projection unit... But, at the end of the day, these things weren't very bright. CRT televisions were brighter, but were size limited and heavy as balls.

So, when flat panel displays started on the market... well, it didn't mean much. A 50" NEC plasma display was well over $10,000. Compared to a sub $5,000 60" DLP rear projection. Pretty clear who the winner was. But, when flat panels started dropping in price and a 50" plasma was $3,000 the game started to change. There were tons of rear projection TVs on the market, but when people went to buy new, it wasn't rear projection they were looking at but plasma television. Then pricing really started to bottom out and the LCD display began rolling out to market. These displays were thinner and were getting lighter and lighter which made shipping easier as well as installation.

Lamps aren't really a major issue with many of these companies. You quite realistically should be able to get replacement lamps for years and years to come, but over time, the rest of the electronics will most certainly fail. Projectors have fans and other moving parts that will fail over time. The projectors also generate a fair bit of heat which eventually damage the internals. Count on it.

A DLP, LCD, or LCoS rear projection television could very well work, and people are definitely getting rid of them as they buy brand new projectors, but for those looking for a nice big HDTV, then it could be quite a score for zero cost. But, it really does ask to be used in a darker room.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I know what I'd do with it...

Lens.jpg

I'd pop that screen out and see if it'd make a good Fresnel Lens! The right screen can focus the sun's rays hot enough to cook with and melt metal! You can make your own lava and melt pennies! Cool stuff!

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
DLP is hardly dead. DLP is the king of front projection and basically dominates the entry level front projection market as well as having a ton of products all across the board and is a major player in digital cinemas. Almost guaranteed that the last time you went to a movie theater that was digital, you were looking at a DLP projector.

The thing is that DLP rear projection televisions, much like LCD rear projection televisions, LCoS rear projection television, and yes, CRT rear projection television, were all at a major disadvantage in rooms with bright light. They just couldn't compete with bright lights. So, even though they could reach some crazy sizes, like 60" diagonal or even larger. I think Mitsubishi had an 82" or so DLP rear projection unit... But, at the end of the day, these things weren't very bright. CRT televisions were brighter, but were size limited and heavy as balls.

So, when flat panel displays started on the market... well, it didn't mean much. A 50" NEC plasma display was well over $10,000. Compared to a sub $5,000 60" DLP rear projection. Pretty clear who the winner was. But, when flat panels started dropping in price and a 50" plasma was $3,000 the game started to change. There were tons of rear projection TVs on the market, but when people went to buy new, it wasn't rear projection they were looking at but plasma television. Then pricing really started to bottom out and the LCD display began rolling out to market. These displays were thinner and were getting lighter and lighter which made shipping easier as well as installation.

Lamps aren't really a major issue with many of these companies. You quite realistically should be able to get replacement lamps for years and years to come, but over time, the rest of the electronics will most certainly fail. Projectors have fans and other moving parts that will fail over time. The projectors also generate a fair bit of heat which eventually damage the internals. Count on it.

A DLP, LCD, or LCoS rear projection television could very well work, and people are definitely getting rid of them as they buy brand new projectors, but for those looking for a nice big HDTV, then it could be quite a score for zero cost. But, it really does ask to be used in a darker room.
So the dlp tv only last so long ? But the projector themselves are still used everywhere?
Is the free tv worth going after or getting more information on ? Probably only going to cost gas ️ what is this fuse ? Supposed need new one

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So the dlp tv only last so long ? But the projector themselves are still used everywhere?
Is the free tv worth going after or getting more information on ? Probably only going to cost gas ️ what is this fuse ? Supposed need new one

Make a Fresnel Lens, melt some stuff and post up the video!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

Oh, and the way I interpret what BMX is saying is that for HT front projection using screens that DLP tech is alive and well. He's not saying to take the projector out of an old tv and repurpose it. I still think you should get it and make a death ray tho...

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Oh, and the way I interpret what BMX is saying is that for HT front projection using screens that DLP tech is alive and well. He's not saying to take the projector out of an old tv and repurpose it. I still think you should get it and make a death ray tho...
I don’t see much of a use for the death ray unless you just have a big backyard and like to destroy stuff you could film it, A TV screen death race probably not gonna work in my parents house there will be like what in the world are you doing have you gone insane???

You sure it’s not better for film then my tv haha
So it’s not better then my led tv ? But if dlp technology is alive and well why is it non existent in home theater ? For only projectors? But not practical for televisions?

Looks like projector is much better for movies the problem is I only have a limited amount of space so I don’t have any rooms big enough for a projector my bedroom is only 12 x 12‘
Until I can move out I’m essentially stuck using a television of some sort.

Reptile aliens will take over the world it seems like Owlette is King now!!!!!

My dads led tv is dying does that mean dlp outlast LED TVs??
Dlp is too fat my dad wouldn’t want it even if its free .

Is RandomBri rainbow bad ?

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I don’t see much of a use for the death ray unless you just have a big backyard and like to destroy stuff you could film it,
Now that's just crazy talk! You can make your own lava! How many people do you know who can say that??

What you need to do is get a cast iron dutch oven, find a good roast, stew or chili recipe and cook a kickass dinner for your parents with your death ray. If that doesn't win 'em over I don't know what will!

After you appease them and show 'em how versatile your new death ray is, you can start running your own experiments. Melt some pennies, see if you can get it hot enough to melt steel, make some lava, blow up your a-hole neighbor's car, blind salespeople and Jehova's witnesses...

The possibilities are endless and quite frankly I'm a little disappointed that you don't see it. C'mon man, unleash your creativity and imagination! You NEED a death ray!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

Every one needs a death ray. Wtf...

Edit: a gif is too large to post? Weak.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
The "Death Ray" was one of the best weapons available in the old PC game Master of Orion 2 which incidentally was one of the greatest space themed games ever IMHO. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis