Extension cord for my Crown XLS 2502 amp.

• Thread starter cameron paterson
  • Start date
C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
I need a high quality 25ft extension cord for my Crown XLS 2502 amp. Anyone have a link for what I need? Is 25ft pushing it with this much power even with a great extension cord?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why the long distance needed from an outlet? I'd probably aim at a 10g extension cord....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I need a high quality 25ft extension cord for my Crown XLS 2502 amp. Anyone have a link for what I need? Is 25ft pushing it with this much power even with a great extension cord?
Just go to Home Depot and buy a 25' power cord. If it drives a power tool, like a compressor for instance it will power your amp. There is no magic in power cords, but apparently you think there is. Behind that power plug, is Romex going all the way back to your panel, often by a circuitous route. That will have a higher resistance than your 25' power cord. Stop ruminating over non problems!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

You amp only draws 425 Watts Max.

Crown XLS 2502 amp Cut Sheet

That's less than 4 amps. A 14 Gauge extension cord would be more than adequate.
That is not correct. The current draw for that amp at full power into 2 ohm loads is 15.64 amps. So he does need a 15 amp power cord if he has a 15 amp breaker. He is very unlikely to hit full power. However my best advice is to keep the current rating of the power cord the same as the breaker.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Thanks TLS Guy! I will go with a 10ga. What does SJTW mean?

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
Remember that cords and breakers are rated for 3 hours of continuous (rated) current.
So unless it's playing full volume test tones the cords and breakers are just loafing along.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
That is not correct. The current draw for that amp at full power into 2 ohm loads is 15.64 amps. So he does need a 15 amp power cord if he has a 15 amp breaker. He is very unlikely to hit full power. However my best advice is to keep the current rating of the power cord the same as the breaker.
No disrespect TLS but on page 2 of the Cut Sheets I linked, the photo of the rear of the of the amp clearly shows 425 watts right above where the line cord gets plugged in. Input power although not in phase certainly shouldn't exceed the capability of a 14 gauge cord on a run of 25 feet. Remember the Romex / Nomex cable in his wall is probably 14 gauge as well - all the way back to the Distribution Panel. Few folks have a 20 amp circuit feed non-kitchen circuits.

But if @cameron paterson wants to spend a little more, and get a bit stiffer cord, I have no problem if he wants to go to a larger gauge than necessary.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No disrespect TLS but on page 2 of the Cut Sheets I linked, the photo of the rear of the of the amp clearly shows 425 watts right above where the line cord gets plugged in. Input power although not in phase certainly shouldn't exceed the capability of a 14 gauge cord on a run of 25 feet. Remember the Romex / Nomex cable in his wall is probably 14 gauge as well - all the way back to the Distribution Panel. Few folks have a 20 amp circuit feed non-kitchen circuits.

But if @cameron paterson wants to spend a little more, and get a bit stiffer cord, I have no problem if he wants to go to a larger gauge than necessary.
That's not the max rating you're looking at, tho. This amp can do 425 watts (not bridged) into one channel at 8 ohm.....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

@cameron paterson if anyone can, can max something out.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Gents,

I really can't find any documentation as to the power consumption of this Amp other than my observation on the rear panel in the cut sheet photo. I checked the Crown website, read the manual => it has a clearer photo of the rear panel with 450 Watts shown as well, cut sheet, etc. I even download a partial schematic and don't see it. I can't even find the rating for the breaker it has near the power input either. So unless someone points me to documentation, I'll stay with 450 Watts as per the rear panel.

If I'm wrong, I apologize. I was a six sigma trained black belt and I'm still a bit of a nerd for real data.

In my searching this Crown Amplifier wholesaler Exertis Almo (HQ in Philadelphia, PA, USA) lists:
  • Operating Power Consumption: 425
Twice on the page I linked above. Are they wrong too?

@gene wrote this AC Wall Power Considerations for Your Home Theater System a few years back. It may be worthwhile for some folks to review.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Gents,

I really can't find any documentation as to the power consumption of this Amp other than my observation on the rear panel in the cut sheet photo. I checked the Crown website, read the manual => it has a clearer photo of the rear panel with 450 Watts shown as well, cut sheet, etc. I even download a partial schematic and don't see it. I can't even find the rating for the breaker it has near the power input either. So unless someone points me to documentation, I'll stay with 450 Watts as per the rear panel.

If I'm wrong, I apologize. I was a six sigma trained black belt and I'm still a bit of a nerd for real data.

In my searching this Crown Amplifier wholesaler Exertis Almo (HQ in Philadelphia, PA, USA) lists:
  • Operating Power Consumption: 425
Twice on the page I linked above. Are they wrong too?

@gene wrote this AC Wall Power Considerations for Your Home Theater System a few years back. It may be worthwhile for some folks to review.
That's just a power consumption spec for a particular standard, not a max. Try this article https://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/receiver-back-panel-power-ratings

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
agree

Screenshot 2023-03-02 094040.jpg

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I found that too but it's not for the XLS2502. Perhaps an indicator but not real data for this machine.:rolleyes:

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I found that too but it's not for the XLS2502. Perhaps an indicator but not real data for this machine.:rolleyes:
Yes, but the power draw will be higher then the output, even with class D, so you have to add at least 20% to the power delivered to the speakers to get the current. So if you bridged that amp into 4 ohms, and maxed it out, it would draw 20 amps at least. If you maxed it out into dual four ohm loads, you can calculate it would draw 14 to 15 amps from a 120 volt circuit.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
So way does any of this matter?
As long as the amplifier is playing music or movies, the continuous current ratings of cords and breakers don't much matter.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

So way does any of this matter?
As long as the amplifier is playing music or movies, the continuous current ratings of cords and breakers don't much matter.
So you would think, but this guy probably will max it out. The bigger problem is these new circuit breakers that are very fickle and problematic with a lot of amp power. I had to install magnetic shunt breakers to my power amps.

highfigh

highfigh

Buy a Kill A Watt, plug the amplifier's power cord into it and set the display for Watts. Buy the appropriate power cord.

That should end the debates, but it probably won't.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis