Experience with Passive Sound bars?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Hey Everyone,

I know the obvious compromises one makes when going from proper boxed speakers to soundbars, but it's looking like I'm moving that direction. I'm looking only looking for a L/C/R bar, as I have subwoofers and surrounds already in place (without objections). I tried to go check out some of the Monitor Audio ones that were listed at a local shop, but they recently removed their showroom and downsized to a installer setup, with only a few boxed speakers on display.

My main requirements are as follows.

No less than 80Hz low end (IE: I don't want to cross my subs out higher than that).
Simple, non offensive design (doens't need to be tiny, but I don't want it to look like some plastic chrome decoration).
Flexible mounting options would be a bonus (stand and wall mountable).

My budget is not determined at this time, but $1500 Canadian would be the upper limit, I would need to sell off my other gear to help offset the costs.

So yeah, let me know what you're experiences have been, both positive and negative.

SheepStar

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
Hey Everyone,

I know the obvious compromises one makes when going from proper boxed speakers to soundbars, but it's looking like I'm moving that direction. I'm looking only looking for a L/C/R bar, as I have subwoofers and surrounds already in place (without objections). I tried to go check out some of the Monitor Audio ones that were listed at a local shop, but they recently removed their showroom and downsized to a installer setup, with only a few boxed speakers on display.

My main requirements are as follows.

No less than 80Hz low end (IE: I don't want to cross my subs out higher than that).
Simple, non offensive design (doens't need to be tiny, but I don't want it to look like some plastic chrome decoration).
Flexible mounting options would be a bonus (stand and wall mountable).

My budget is not determined at this time, but $1500 Canadian would be the upper limit, I would need to sell off my other gear to help offset the costs.

So yeah, let me know what you're experiences have been, both positive and negative.

SheepStar
They can provide a nice solution, but the biggest issue is going to be finding something with that small/shallow of a cabinetbt that reaches 80 Hz. The soundbar I have found that gets closest is the PSB W3 at 90 Hz. Be careful of fudged measurements. True -3db extension at 80 hz is tough to find in soundbar.

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
What's the reason for not being able to cross your subs higher than 80hz? Which sub?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I have 2 subs, 1 Velodyne SPL-800 in Acrylic (clear) and one Velodyne Deco 8. Basically the same sub, but right now both are in the front stage inside of the mains, but in the future they will be in opposing corners (better response). 80Hz is the highest I want them to play to minimize localization.

SheepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
They can provide a nice solution, but the biggest issue is going to be finding something with that small/shallow of a cabinetbt that reaches 80 Hz. The soundbar I have found that gets closest is the PSB W3 at 90 Hz. Be careful of fudged measurements. True -3db extension at 80 hz is tough to find in soundbar.
Yeah, I've noticed some of the Def Tech units can reach lower, but they also have pretty elaborate driver arrays (bigger woofers, passive radiators). Monitor Audio has some nice LCR ones as well. I haven't been able to audition any of them, but someone locally is selling a Mirage Uni-Theater which has a 80hz -3dB point (which is usually pretty accurate with them). I'm running Mirage nanosat rears light now so that would compliment them nicely.

SheepStar

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I have 2 subs, 1 Velodyne SPL-800 in Acrylic (clear) and one Velodyne Deco 8. Basically the same sub, but right now both are in the front stage inside of the mains, but in the future they will be in opposing corners (better response). 80Hz is the highest I want them to play to minimize localization.

SheepStar
You should experiment with higher, I'm 110 and have no problem with localization. I know other members that prefer higher with their setups.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I'm selling my mains right now and switching to small bookshelf speakers, when that happens i will play with the cross over (towers can play to 45Hz). It's not the end of the world, but there is a fair few options that can play to 80Hz (indicated), so it would be nice to get that if it's worth it. Most of the paradigm options play to 110-130hz only, which is a bit too high.

SheepStar

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis