Exclusive Rotel RA-1062 & RCD-1072 Review

E

Enjoy the Site

Faulty

Both products were received faulty and you still gave them 4 and over?

Hmmm.

At least they're batting 100%! Hey, wouldn't that merit a full 5 out of 5!

Maybe your next car should be a Jaguar, or Rolls, or Aston, or Range Rover...
ooops, all no longer British. Wonder what happened?

Keep up the good work.
(I actually mean that sincerely, everyone has an off night)

Post #2:

WOW, they got a 5 out of 5 for build quality.

Who cares if the damn thing works, I want it!

(OK, that shows you guys fell asleep at the wheel)

Post #3:

Bloody damn Junk! Wouldn't you say Old Chap?

[Edit: Since all three posts came from the same IP address, were in a row, and posted within 5 minutes of each other I combined them - Editor]

Last edited by a moderator:
U

Unregistered

Enjoy the Site said:
Bloody damn Junk! Wouldn't you say Old Chap?
I would have to agree! It's amazing to me how people can fawn over 'high-end' gear that costs 2-3 times as much as 'mass-market' gear when the 'high-end' stuff can't even get basic usability features right. Can't turn it on without the remote? Pathetic! When that cheap piece of junk remote dies or you lose it, that expensive amp becomes a paperweight.

A $700 cd player that doesn't mute the dacs and op-amps like a $99 apex cd player? All these supposed high quality components and yet it is no better than a bargain player.
Its nice to make excuses for all these shortcomings because it is 'high-end' Rotel.

Give me a break. The only high-end equipment worth buying are separate amps. Pair a good amp with a low cost receiver and it will outperform all these so called high-end components from the likes of Rotel any day and for a lot less money.

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
Excellent review there. I am stacking up some really good arguments to getting the RCD1072 in favor of an Arcam CD player. But I'd be curious which DAC is really better, the Burr-Brown Sigma Delta or the Wolfson 8740 used in them, respectively. Both plays HDCD so the digital filterning should be superb in either model.

I really couldn't care less if the unit can be powered on of off only from remotes. I think this is more a design issue than anything.

H

hlesser

Audioholic Intern
Enough Rotel bashing

I've been a Rotel customer since the mid-70s when I bought a tuner-- it still holds its own nearly 30 years later. More recently, I've auditioned the separates and bought the RSX-1055 receiver. Build quality is excellent, power rating quite conservative and usability is very good. I've yet to see a multichannel receiver that didn't have some usability quirks ... Rotel has no more than anyone else, plus the sound is unbeatable. They've always made very solid CD players though the lack of SACD has led me to the Denon 2900 Universal player.

As other forums reveal, customer service at Rotel is very good and repairs are infrequent.

There's a lot of overly priced so-called "high end" stuff out there that doesn't have the long history in the business, the customer service, the quality or the bang-for-the-buck. You could do far, far worse than to buy one of their products.

I'd like to see a review of the new RSX-1056 receiver sometime soon.

U

Unregistered

How would the Audioholics staff compare the RCD-1072 to the Sony SCD-CE775 SACD Player Modification by Audience? The review articles say both cost $700.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
During my brief direct comparisons of CD playback via the analog outputs of both players, I preferred the Rotel over the Sony personally, however it was very close. I mostly use my Sony SACD player for SACD duty or 5 changer mode for parties and such.

If I had it to do over again, I would advise in purchasing a good universal player over modding an inexpensive player.

K

KingColby

Audiophyte
The Rotel rcd-1072 is delivering great performance for me.

Liked that you show its internal view. When warranty expires,may try to squeeze out more performance if that's possible.Wonderful mid priced unit putting better redbook in reach for less $$$.One small thing~HDCD"layer?"
maybe writing hi rez you confused the 2 media?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis