Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
Is anyone here into espresso? I am and I want a good espresso machine. I don't have $1000 to spend on one of those fancy commercial grade machines. I would like to spend no more than $300.

Right now I have a $30 Mr. Coffee steamer machine from Wal-Mart. It works, just not very well. The espresso tastes burnt and bitter. It tastes more like drip coffe, bad drip coffee. I can't make a latte that tastes anything like what I can buy at my local espresso shop.

Does anyone have any recommendations or general advice for espresso brewing? Any links to good websites/forums would be greatly appreciated. I found CoffeeGeek.com but they seem to be geared toward the pricey models, their professional reviews anyway.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
I never like drinking anything that change my mood (stimulants or depressants)

but during my honeymoon, I postponed my rule to check out wines, martinis, cappuccinos and espressos. now I must say I like the italian cappuccinos and martinis but I could NEVER finish a cup of espresso, my heart starts pounding so fast and the bitterness just kills me. and I've drunk Barako coffee (local phil. strong black coffee) but espresso is like concentrated Barako coffee :)

F

flyv65

Full Audioholic
Check out Aabree Coffee (on the web: http://www.aabreecoffee.com/?CMP=KAC-overture ); my wife and I have purchased our last two Saecos from them them, and they were competetively priced and polite...I find it hard to ask for more. If you're looking to get a bit more machine for less, start haunting eBay-but make sure you know what you're looking at (I never quite trust eBay). By the way: the reason we just got a second Saeco (the Easy), is because our old super started to get cranky after 7 years of daily use. I'd recommend their products, if you care.

Bryan...maybe Irish coffee tonight; after all, it *is* snowing here...;)

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
On a side note, using fresh coffee is essential. It makes a difference like you wouldn't believe. The coffee has all of the flavor, with almost no bitter. The crappy part is it's basically internet direct only.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
On a side note, using fresh coffee is essential. It makes a difference like you wouldn't believe. The coffee has all of the flavor, with almost no bitter. The crappy part is it's basically internet direct only.
I use Batdorf & Bronson coffee and it is as fresh as it gets. They're local and they roast everything in their Olympia store, though I believe they also have a facility in Atlanta now and sell online. Their Holiday Blend is the best tasting coffee I've ever had. They only sell it between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Currently, I have them grind it for me and I store it at home in an airtight jar in the freezer because my coffee grinder is inferior for espresso. A new grinder is also on the list. The new KitchenAid ProLine grinder looks nice.

now I must say I like the italian cappuccinos and martinis but I could NEVER finish a cup of espresso, my heart starts pounding so fast and the bitterness just kills me
I can't drink straight espresso either. It's cappuccinos and latte's all the way. :)

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Hi Ho said:
I use Batdorf & Bronson coffee and it is as fresh as it gets. They're local and they roast everything in their Olympia store, though I believe they also have a facility in Atlanta now and sell online. Their Holiday Blend is the best tasting coffee I've ever had. They only sell it between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Currently, I have them grind it for me and I store it at home in an airtight jar in the freezer because my coffee grinder is inferior for espresso. A new grinder is also on the list. The new KitchenAid ProLine grinder looks nice.

I can't drink straight espresso either. It's cappuccinos and latte's all the way. :)
The Mr. Coffee espresso maker is not the problem. It could be your grind, or water, or even tamping/volume of grounds. Or since you drink only lattes and caps, you could have a problem with the steaming or quantity of milk. Our Mr. Coffee makes espresso equal to any boutique coffee shop.

Make sure your grind is fine and I highly recommend a mill...not a grinder. If you're certain you have a good water supply and quality (fresh) coffee, follow the espresso maker's instructions carefully on coffee amount/tamping down.

Drinking it on a cold, winter morning in the northwest enhances the flavor, of course! LOL. ;)

majorloser

majorloser

Spend some extra money on a good quality burr mill. Cuisinart makes a decent model for about $50. Goes on sale sometimes for $39.

http://www.cuisinart.com/catalog/product.php?product_id=306&item_id=415&cat_id=3

There is also something to be said about using a pump type expresso machine vs. a steam pressure machine. One of my biggest gripes with a steam pressure unit is that frothing milk takes away from the coffee making part.

Lately for regular coffee I've been using a French press. Coffee needs to be ground a little courser and evenly otherwise the fines will come through the filter/plunger.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Are you guys aware that the darker the coffee the less caffeine it has, less roasted beans retain more caffeine. Down here in the "capital" of coffees (forget Seattle) people down Cuban coffee (expresso variant) like its water, and as far as heart palpitations you might be a bit sensitive to the stuff (Mtry, feel free to jump in anytime now). So called "American" style coffee ironically gives you more of a rush than espresso. BTW you don't need to buy fancy machines for espresso, they sell stove top units that are excellent, most hispanic homes have one, especially the older generation who have a disdain for the electric machines. Here's something you might like: 1/2 espresso 1/2 evaporated milk, 2 teaspoons of brown or "turbidor" (spelling?) sugar, down here its called a "cortadito" literally a "small cut". Why do you think Miami is the worst town in the nation to drive??:D

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
The Mr. Coffee espresso maker is not the problem. It could be your grind, or water, or even tamping/volume of grounds. Or since you drink only lattes and caps, you could have a problem with the steaming or quantity of milk. Our Mr. Coffee makes espresso equal to any boutique coffee shop.
I have tried all different grinds, volumes, and tamping levels. The problem is that my steam powered super cheap machine (I'll bet the one you have cost more than $30) can't force the water through the coffee quickly enough. A good machine takes around 20 seconds to get the water through the grounds. Mine takes about 2 minutes regardless of the grind and tamp level and the result is a bitter and burnt tasting espresso.

I have a burr grinder but it isn't a very good one. I'm now considering a super automatic machine like THIS one from Saeco.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Hi Ho said:
I have tried all different grinds, volumes, and tamping levels. The problem is that my steam powered super cheap machine (I'll bet the one you have cost more than $30) can't force the water through the coffee quickly enough. A good machine takes around 20 seconds to get the water through the grounds. Mine takes about 2 minutes regardless of the grind and tamp level and the result is a bitter and burnt tasting espresso.

I have a burr grinder but it isn't a very good one. I'm now considering a super automatic machine like THIS one from Saeco.
That's a pretty fancy rig, Hi Ho. If you have the cash........:D

Yes, we bought our Mr. Coffee on sale for about 60 bucks. We also have the Cuisinart mill that Majorloser linked you to. But there it is. For $110 (plus shipping) we get fine quality espresso. But then...it doesn't look like a Lambourghini, like Saeco's. :eek:

(I've been dying to ask....your screen name sounds an awful lot like a drugged prostitute..?..LOL!)

majorloser

majorloser

WOW, that's one BA machine!

It even has a conical burr grinder built-in. Pump machine are the ONLY way to go for consistant expresso. I'm too cheap to buy a good pump machine since I don't drink expressos and cap very often at home. I personally like separate devices. Granted, takes of more counter space but when you have a problem with one it doesn't take out the whole works.

As Stratman pointed out, expresso has less caffeine than regular coffee. I read somewhere it has to do with contact time with the grounds. The more time the water has in contact with the grounds the more caffeine can be extracted. Methods like the French press and the old perculator will get the most caffeine out. Problem with the perc pot is that the coffee is constantly cooked so you end up with bitter coffee.

I'm sort of a caffeine junkie. I start every day out with a cup of coffee and a bottle of Bawls.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
"As Stratman pointed out, expresso has less caffeine than regular coffee. I read somewhere it has to do with contact time with the grounds. The more time the water has in contact with the grounds the more caffeine can be extracted. Methods like the French press and the old perculator will get the most caffeine out. Problem with the perc pot is that the coffee is constantly cooked so you end up with bitter coffee."

Alton Brown on FoodTV (Good Eats) had one of his shows just on coffee, he explained how roasting is what determines the volume of caffeine. The longer the roasting process the less caffeine, the darker the coffee beans (espresso). And you know this guy is Mr. Science, in fact he's got one of the best shows there, you just have to wade through all that Rachel Ray stuff.:D

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Hey Hi Ho (sounds like a Christmas song ;) ),

I just got a notice on items for sale on Amazon.com. Did you ever get a pump machine? This dude is almost half-price...but there are only two left... Lello 45900 Ariete Espresso/Cappuccino Maker. Looks like a great deal!

ChrisJam

ChrisJam

Full Audioholic
Gaggia espresso machine

Hi Ho said:
Is anyone here into espresso? I am and I want a good espresso machine. I don't have $1000 to spend on one of those fancy commercial grade machines. I would like to spend no more than $300.

I got my girlfriend a Gaggia espresso maker a few years ago. I think it was between $200 and $300 when I got it, and now it's $199. It'll also do cappuccino. I bought it online from WholeLatteLove.com, and I can highly recommend both the machine and company:
http://www.wholelattelove.com/Gaggia/espresso.cfm

Here's the complete line of Gaggia machines:
http://www.wholelattelove.com/Gaggia.cfm

I also got a Gaggia coffee bean grinder at the same time. But you can certainly find one that's less expensive.

The same site has some how-to articles:
http://www.wholelattelove.com/articles.cfm

Chris

H

HTHOLIC

Audioholic
The Lello Ariete Espresso Machine is a great value at $100, its is a "true espresso machine"

Of course if you want to spend $300-500 you could probably find a better machine.

One person mentioned that there is a specific grinder that is optimal for use with the machine, I am not sure if it was the lello burr grinder.

The lello machine is also stainless steel which doesnt rust in areas which you wouldnt want it to happen (drinking rusty coffee).

ITS at amazon.com

F

flyv65

Full Audioholic
Hi Ho said:
Consider looking at the Saeco Easy (about $50 more); the plastic body on our Vienna warped a little after about 5 years and we had to keep our thumbs on the door untill the charge tamped. The Easy's body is metal (no warpage) and also allows you to change not just the grind size but also the charge size.

Bryan...we like ours a lot...

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks for all the advice. I just purchased a Saeco Easy. I can't wait for it to arrive. :D

majorloser

majorloser

Kopi Luwak

Here's one for all you coffee lovers out there.

It's a type of coffee called Kopi Luwak. It is the most expensive coffee in the world.
Between $200 and $300 US per pound :eek:

The best part is where the beans come from............

They are beans that are fully digested by a small mammal called a Luwak.

Brings a new meaning to coffee the tastes like sh**

http://www.animalcoffee.com/process/

(note the third picture down...........luwak turds)

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
majorloser said:
Here's one for all you coffee lovers out there.

It's a type of coffee called Kopi Luwak. It is the most expensive coffee in the world.
Between $200 and $300 US per pound :eek:

The best part is where the beans come from............

They are beans that are fully digested by a small mammal called a Luwak.

Brings a new meaning to coffee the tastes like sh**

http://www.animalcoffee.com/process/

(note the third picture down...........luwak turds)
Hey, majorloser! I'll do some (premium Costco) beans for ya for a third that price! :eek: (And that's what you get for ruining my next cup of coffee!)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis