Espon 5020ub 120" screen

F

Firefighter520

Enthusiast
Currently in the process of building a dedicated HT, I have done a lot of research and decided to go with an HT package from visual apex. It includes an Epson 5020ub and a visual apex fixed screen 120" 1.1 gain cinema white along with other misc. items. Every review I have read gives favorable results to this combination. Recently I have been calling around to local suppliers and installers (price shopping) and every one of them speaks differently of this setup. Pretty much they say it will be to dim once calibrated and I should move up to a better screen or a brighter projector. My room is completely light controlled and the projector will have a 15' throw with chairs at 14'. Are the salesman correct or they just trying to sell me on something else? I would really like a 120" screen but would be willing to step down to 106" if necessary. I am really confused now and need to buy asap!

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
I have the 5010 with that 120" screen. It is plenty bright enough. But I do notice that it has a hot spot in the center (or if you are sitting off center it moves a little in that direction). It seems to be a reflection from the lens off the screen. If I had it to do again I'd look for a better screen. Going with a grey screen usually means a lower gain, and that may be what they mean by you needing a smaller screen. There are high contrast screens that have higher gains, but that will cost you more.
There are others here who may be able to suggest a higher quality screen for you.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The VAPEX screen is bottom of the line. I have no seen the screen, but if the above poster is correct, then it is overly reflective which causes the hot-spot.

A quality positive gain screen will typically not hot-spot, like the Carada Criterion screen. It is important to understand that a good projector will last 7-10 years typically. A good screen will last you 20+ years. So, it is very much worth it to spend the money on a quality screen. Much like a good set of speakers, it will outlast the electronics that go along with it.

Oh, and the sales guys are stupid. They don't know anything about the 5020. It can handle the 120" screen no problem. I'm using the W1070 projector on a 161" screen and it is PLENTY bright enough even without solid light control. In a dark room, you will be very happy at that size with the 5020.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
The VAPEX screen is bottom of the line. I have no seen the screen, but if the above poster is correct, then it is overly reflective which causes the hot-spot.

A quality positive gain screen will typically not hot-spot, like the Carada Criterion screen. It is important to understand that a good projector will last 7-10 years typically. A good screen will last you 20+ years. So, it is very much worth it to spend the money on a quality screen. Much like a good set of speakers, it will outlast the electronics that go along with it.

Oh, and the sales guys are stupid. They don't know anything about the 5020. It can handle the 120" screen no problem. I'm using the W1070 projector on a 161" screen and it is PLENTY bright enough even without solid light control. In a dark room, you will be very happy at that size with the 5020.
Do you recomend the Criterion Series over the Precision Series, or is that just a matter of taste? Also, would you go with the Classic Cinema White at 1.0 gain or the Brilliant White at 1.4? I like the extra pop of colors with more gain but I don't know if my 5010 needs it at 118". I might have room to squeeze in the 126". The Precision series seems to have thinner boarders and could give me the extra room I need.

OP: Sorry to steal your thread, but these are questions we may both want answers to.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The difference between the Criterion and the Precision is all in the frame and the price difference, in my opinion, is in line with the quality difference you get. Carada has good images showing the difference, but I am a big fan of the design of the Criterion frame. Keep in mind Carada WILL custom make a frame to the width you want/need for your specific setup so if you find that a size is just a bit to large, then they will make it that 'bit' smaller to fit your space. No extra cost, just pay for the larger size. I also always recommend the Brilliant White. It is their best material and is comparable to far more expensive brands including DaLite, Draper, and Stewart. No matter how bright your projector, that minimal gain will come in handy as the lamp ages, when you do 3D viewing, and when you have a couple of lights on. When the lights are off and you are in 'ideal' theater mode, then you should use a differently calibrated preset on your projector to cut light output down some. This should also help to improve overall performance. Keep in mind, it is the addition of light which is nearly impossible to get. Reducing light is pretty easy to do.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks, I'll see if I can fit the 126" Criterion 1.4. The shape of the boarder would suggest that would be stronger in the long run. It's only 2.5 inches wider overall. Now I just have to get the wifey to agree to yet one more screen purchase.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis