Equipment to go with Salk SongTower IIs

C

cheesedawg

Audiophyte
I've had my eye on Salk SongTowers since about 2010 and finally will be getting them this month!

I will be moving into a new apartment this summer, so don't yet know the layout of the room that they will be used in. I'm expecting to use them almost entirely for music, with occasional TV (2-3 hrs/week) and extremely occasional movies (maybe 1-2 movies/month).

I'm a pretty big newb and currently listen to music almost entirely streaming from Spotify.

To start with, I'd like to get good value equipment (i.e. on par with the SongTowers) for streaming music.

Some stuff that I was considering:
1. AVA Set 120 Control Amplifier ($1300) https://avahifi.com/collections/power-amplifiers/products/set-120-control-amplifier
Is this a good choice? Any other suggestions?

2. Google Chromecast Audio ($50)
Will I be losing much quality with this? Should I get an amp with a DAC built in?

3. HiFi streaming service (at least until Spotify introduces its own)

4. Cables

Later on, what do you suggest considering? Some ideas:

1. A center speaker: Maybe not that useful if I'm so rarely watching movies?

2. A subwoofer: I'll likely be living in an apartment building with units underneath, so perhaps not that necessary and not that neighbor-friendly?

3. 2 surround speakers: Same as for center speaker?

4. Phono preamp: I currently have no records of my own (though parents do), so seems like something that can wait, unless this could be included in some amps?

5. Turntable: Same as for phono preamp

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
1. AVA Set 120 Control Amplifier ($1300) https://avahifi.com/collections/power-amplifiers/products/set-120-control-amplifier
Seems a bit overpriced, a bit spartan with features, and underpowered. Granted, you may not need much power if you're an apartment dweller, but it seems to me you could get more, and check some of those other boxes on your list, with something else. You didn't mention budgetary constraints.

Let's rewind a sec.

You have a great start with the Salks. Selecting the rest of the kit should be a relatively simple task, and will have tremendously less importance to sound than your speakers. Don't stress on it or overthink things. You will require the requisite power for your listening habits, and requisite features catering to your needs (streaming, DAC, and maybe phono pre...I would include eq/processing in the list).

If I had a pair of those speakers, wanted a DAC and phono preamp, and had no intention of going multi-channel, I would have a look at the Outlaw integrated amp, or the integrated amps and receivers from Yamaha. (I'm a sucker for genuinely useful loudness eq, as I listen at modest levels most of the time, and both the Outlaw and at least some of the Yamahas offer that. The Outlaw even has crude but effective bass management should you add a sub.)

For similar cost it may be possible to go with separates (DAC/streamer/pre -> hypex based amp).

If you do plan on going multi channel, that means multichannel kit. Not all AVRs have phono preamps, but some do, and such a beast may provide a one box solution.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
First of all, congrats on soon getting the SongTower II speakers. I got SongTowers in 2007, and replaced them in 2016 with Veracity ST speakers. I love them, and I'm fairly certain you'll love yours too.

I generally agree with what @ski2xblack says above. To address each of your questions.
That integrated amp is a very good one. It will be plenty powerful for you SongTower IIs. You won't go wrong with it. However, you can find other integrated 2-channel amps that will also be fine for your speakers, at a lower price. I agree with what @ski2xblack suggested: Outlaw or Yamaha integrated amps or receivers. Any amp that delivers at least an honest 50 watt/channel should do well. Fortunately, there are plenty of such amps in the 50-100 wpc range.

Many of your questions (below) lead me to suggest an audio/video receiver (AVR) instead of a 2-channel integrated amp. Think carefully about what kind of inputs you will need. The AVA SET-120 has 4 pairs of analog RCA jacks. It has no DAC, no built-in phono pre-amp, and no Wifi streaming, and no remote control. Will that be enough for you now as well as in the future? It sounds to me that you aren't sure about what you may want in the future. Once you pay for that AVA integrated, you may not want to replace it soon, so consider things carefully.
2. Google Chromecast Audio ($50)
Will I be losing much quality with this? Should I get an amp with a DAC built in?
No problem with Chromecast Audio, but if you want to do that, you should think about an integrated amp with a built-in DAC. Without a DAC, you couldn't connect it to the AVA integrated.
3. HiFi streaming service (at least until Spotify introduces its own)
How would you connect that to the AVA integrated?
4. Cables
Any decently constructed and decently priced RCA interconnect and speaker cables will be just fine. Look at Monoprice, Blue Jeans cable, Amazon, etc. There is no sound quality benefit if you pay more for exotic cables.
Later on, what do you suggest considering? Some ideas:

1. A center speaker: Maybe not that useful if I'm so rarely watching movies?
For that, you will do better with an AVR. Same answer for 2 surround speakers. No stereo integrated can handle them as well as an AVR. I don't see how you could connect TV or movie sound to that AVA integrated.

However, before buying a center or surround speakers, you should first listen to how well your two Songs do by themselves.
2. A subwoofer: I'll likely be living in an apartment building with units underneath, so perhaps not that necessary and not that neighbor-friendly?
Before you consider a subwoofer, listen to your SongTower IIs in your home. For music, those speakers do bass well enough without a sub.
4. Phono preamp or 5. Turntable: I currently have no records of my own (though parents do), so seems like something that can wait, unless this could be included in some amps?
If you don't already have records of your own, I'd say, don't bother with buying them or buying a turntable, pick-up cartridge, or phono preamp. It's not worth the cost or the fuss.

I suggest you look into an AVR with about 100 watts/channel (when 2 channels are driven), that includes a DAC as well as several HDMI inputs and outputs. Look for AVRs made by Denon, Marantz, or Yamaha. They will allow you to digitally hook up TVs, disc players, streaming devices, etc., and become the switching center for all those audio or video sources. And it will have plenty of power to drive your speakers.

If you have two speakers and do not plan on a center or surround speakers, consider the Denon DRA-800H. Its a 2-channel receiver with five HDMI inputs, that allow you to hook up the latest TV/movie audio & video, wireless streaming, etc. Its basically a full-functioned AVR with only two audio channels instead of 5 or more. It produces 100 wpc and costs $700.

Last edited:
C

cheesedawg

Audiophyte
Thanks for all the feedback! I thought that the Chromecast Audio could be connected with an RCA to audio cable and then would stream over wifi

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No problem with Chromecast Audio, but if you want to do that, you should think about an integrated amp with a built-in DAC. Without a DAC, you couldn't connect it to the AVA integrated.
You can use the built-in dac of the Chromecast Audio easily, and use a 3.5 to dual rca cable adapter easily enough; if you want digital you can export it via a mini optical cable, too.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I thought that the Chromecast Audio could be connected with an RCA to audio cable and then would stream over wifi
I believe you're right. I have a standard Chromecast dongle that does video & audio, and connects digitally via HDMI. I forgot the Chromecast Audio has a built-in DAC.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks for all the feedback! I thought that the Chromecast Audio could be connected with an RCA to audio cable and then would stream over wifi
Chromecast Audio is a discontinued product.

Personally, I would not by and amp now that did not have digital functionality, and preferably had video capability via HDMI. There is so much AV music out there now, not to have video capability is very limiting.

C

cheesedawg

Audiophyte
So it seems like I should look at AVRs by Outlaw, Denon, Yamaha, and Marantz. This definitely seems a lot easier than having just an integrated amp if I want to hook up a TV or do streaming, but it isn't clear to me if I'm losing much quality by going that route.

The Denon DRA-800H looks excellent, but I did come across this review: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/denon-dra-800h-review-stereo-receiver.26743/ that is making me second guess the idea.

Given what I've been listening to, I'm sure this would sound excellent, but I want to make sure that I can get the best sound possible in the <$1500ish range.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well the Outlaw is a 2ch receiver (well 2.1 in a sense), it has no video switching capabilities nor hdmi. I don't think you lose using an avr, I use several for all my audio purposes, they're far more useful than my old 2ch separates (which I still have, too). Your speakers matter far more. Having some video and bass management capabilities even for a simple setup I think is good and the economies of scale with an avr is on your side plus future expandability.

The Denon 2ch receiver does have some video/hdmi possibilities....what is making you pause particularly there due the review? The price isn't horrible for the capabilities in general, tho.

Then again maybe a simple dac/preamp and a power amp would work for you without the video concerns...

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
So it seems like I should look at AVRs by Outlaw, Denon, Yamaha, and Marantz. This definitely seems a lot easier than having just an integrated amp if I want to hook up a TV or do streaming, but it isn't clear to me if I'm losing much quality by going that route.
As I said earlier, the AVA SET-120 Control Amp is a very good, but expensive product. However, I've often heard the claim that dedicated 2-channel electronic gear performs better than AVR gear. I doubt that, and I wonder if those claims come from salesmen trying to sell both AVRs and 2-channel gear to customers. As long as solid state amplifiers are well-designed, deliver enough power to adequately drive a pair of speakers without going into clipping, have a high enough damping factor across the audio band, and do not otherwise misbehave electronically, they tend to sound the same. I don't think you'll loose much, or any, sound quality by looking for something less expensive than the AVR SET-120. It's your money and your choice.
The Denon DRA-800H looks excellent, but I did come across this review: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/denon-dra-800h-review-stereo-receiver.26743/ that is making me second guess the idea.
I hadn't seen that review. Thanks for posting it. It suggests the DRA-800H is middle-of-the-road. Typical of ASR reviews, they tend to barrage the reader with technical details while never commenting if those measured differences were actually audible. That's a common criticism of Amirm's reviews on ASR. They make use of expensive state-of-the-art measuring equipment, but make extreme judgements that frankly lack common sense.

Most of the forum comments that followed the review were little more than piling-on. One comment stood out as more reasonable and believable:
All Denon did was take one of their entry level 5.1 AVRs and then remove three channels of amplifiers, and then sell it as a stereo AVR - at a higher price than the entry level AVR it's based on.
A year ago, the DRA-800H sold for $500, a decent value. It offers some nice features, but at $700 is less of a value.

Last edited:
C

cheesedawg

Audiophyte
Thank you. I'm going to try to see if I can find the DRA-800H for $500 or less lightly used and if so will probably go that route at least to start with.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have previously used a slim-line Marantz AVR for a 2.2 office rig, worked great. Something like that would be more flexible than the DRA-800h, if you wanted to add an external amp or center speaker.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
… I'm going to try to see if I can find the DRA-800H for $500 or less lightly used and if so will probably go that route at least to start with.
Accessories 4 Less sells a factory refurbished DRA-800H for $500. The webpage says it comes with a 1-year manufacturers warranty.
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/dendra800h/denon-dra-800h-2-x-100-watts-stereo-receiver-w/heos/1.html
A4L sells last year's models and factory refurbs. It has a decent reputation. It might be worth your time to explore what they have to sell that might suit you.

The modest power requirements (at least 50 Watts) of those Salk SongTower II speakers works in your favor. There are plenty of amps & receivers, both stereo & AVR that can provide that. Good luck.

When you finally get those speakers, please give us your impressions and a few photos :p.

C

cheesedawg

Audiophyte
Thanks again for all the suggestions.

I found a DRA-800H for $390 + shipping on Facebook Marketplace and got Monoprice 12AWG cable (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001UNGJF6/) for about $40 after tax from Amazon.

So the total will end up being $2000 for speakers (FB Marketplace) + $200 shipping, $415 total for AVR, and $40 for cable = $2655. This seems like a good start, though the Denon AVR-X3700H also seems like it'd be a good option if I could get it at a discounted price. Especially now that the Songtower IIs have gone up to $3000 (from $2700) I'm happy with the overall value of the system.

If all goes well I'll have this set up Friday!

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Accessories 4 Less sells a factory refurbished DRA-800H for $500. The webpage says it comes with a 1-year manufacturers warranty.
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/dendra800h/denon-dra-800h-2-x-100-watts-stereo-receiver-w/heos/1.html
A4L sells last year's models and factory refurbs. It has a decent reputation. It might be worth your time to explore what they have to sell that might suit you.

The modest power requirements (at least 50 Watts) of those Salk SongTower II speakers works in your favor. There are plenty of amps & receivers, both stereo & AVR that can provide that. Good luck.

When you finally get those speakers, please give us your impressions and a few photos :p.
@Swerd
I saw the thread of a new Salk Songtower owner and I couldn't pass up giving out high fives!
@cheesedawg congrats on the Songtowers!
On @Swerd s recommendation and encouragement I got a pair in 2017 and have been loving them ever since.
Best purchase in audio I have made that I can remember.

All your bits of kit really pale in comparison to the centerpieces of sound that the Songtowers represent.
My cables are Bluejeans cables, and they look great, weren't expensive, and they carry the freight every day.
All you need to power these jewels is some clean sources and some clean and modest power.
When I say modest, I means modest. I have a dedicated music room but its small. My setup is a nearfield setup with the Songtowers. It's unusual for a floorstanding speaker to be deployed in a nearfield setup but the magic it makes is pretty special. My normal listening SPL is about 75DB and I get there with under 1 watt of power from my Denon AVR. If I want to jack it up and really rock n roll I may, and I say may, burn 10 watts. So don't break the bank thinking you need tons of power.

Sit back and enjoy

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis