Equipment and Layout Choice(s)/Help

grd4spd

grd4spd

Audioholic Intern
im building a moderate priced HT and living space sound system. im not going with the dedicated listening/viewing room on this one.....it is a large open space (~1300sqft) "loft like".....in ceiling speakers (Paradigm AMS series), custom built sub in the crawl space, plasma/lcd (not sure which im at 6000ft+) mounted above carved limstone mantle, hidden behind motorized painting/wall...ect.....below are some pix of the listening room....as you can see the center of the room will have a sitting area facing the fireplace. a horizonally motorized panel above/built into the "over-mantle" will hide the monitor.....the coffee table will house all the AV hardware, which will be plummed up from underneath......gotta keep the design troops happy.

there are various "General Listening" (GL) speakers throughout the space.....all in ceiling mounted.....the front and rear surrounds will play in concert with the GL speakers when listening to (or ambient) music is being played. i would like the front "surrounds" to also act as "mains" when GL is employed.....at this point im thinking a custom built subfloor, sub-woffer.....

below are some pix of the listening room....as you can see the center of the room will have a sitting area facing the fireplace. a horizonally motorized panel above/built into the "over-mantle" will hide the monitor.....the coffee table will house all the AV hardware, which will be plummed up from underneath......gotta keep the design troops happy.

.......what are yalls thoughts? feedback? suggestions? criticisms?

regards,
terry

saurabh

saurabh

Audioholic
Well one thing I could definitely tell you is that the surrounds should never be above the Monitor rather they should be opposite to what you have marked on the wooden planks above the pillars. Then you can experiment with either facing them towards each other or directed towards the monitor. The ones you are mentioning for the front would be left/right speakers (not surrounds).

Infact you can buy some really elegant wall mounts and fix the left/right speakers on the wall besides the TV monitor, on each side (keep some distance).

The idea of placing the surrounds across into the dining room is not good since the roof depth will block the sound to goto the sitting room.

Last edited:
grd4spd

grd4spd

Audioholic Intern
thanks for the reply saurabh!

saurabh said:
Well one thing I could definitely tell you is that the surrounds should never be above the Monitor rather they should be opposite to what you have marked on the wooden planks above the pillars.

undeerstood....however, the problem is that if i place them on each side of the monitor (ideal) then when i have the sliding hidden panel open (which covers the monitor when not in use) the panel will cover the right surround speaker. :(

Then you can experiment with either facing them towards each other or directed towards the monitor. The ones you are mentioning for the front would be left/right speakers (not surrounds).

the two speakers above/lft/rgt of the monitor i would like to double as both mains (for just music) and surrounds (for HT play)....is this possible?

Infact you can buy some really elegant wall mounts and fix the left/right speakers on the wall besides the TV monitor, on each side (keep some distance).

again, i cannot afix anything on the surface of the wall due to "design team" wishes as well as the mechanics of hiding the monitor behind a sliding panel......everything has to in-wall mounted.....

.....heres a thought.....how about the lft/rgt surrounds are behind the sliding panel, next to the monitor? so when the HT is being used, the sliding panel slides over to the right side to reveal the monitor AND the lft/rgt surrounds?

The idea of placing the surrounds across into the dining room is not good since the roof depth will block the sound to goto the sitting room.

its hard to tell but the location of the rear surrounds are pretty much INSIDE the listening/viewing area.....as this area is several feet away from the dining area.....

regards,
terry

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis