Equalizer Pros/Cons

G

GhostInTheShell

Audiophyte
Hi All,

What are the pros/cons of using an equalizer to smooth out the frequency response? I think I've done everything possible in my listening room as far as tweeks, etc, but I'm still left with several deeps and peaks.

I have practically zero knowledge of equalizers and have noticed most people just don't use them much. Why is this?

Thanks,

Alex

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
GhostInTheShell said:
Hi All,

What are the pros/cons of using an equalizer to smooth out the frequency response? I think I've done everything possible in my listening room as far as tweeks, etc, but I'm still left with several deeps and peaks.

I have practically zero knowledge of equalizers and have noticed most people just don't use them much. Why is this?

Thanks,

Alex
Alex,

Welcome to the forum. People don't use eq's because todays trends are with surround AVR's. Many better AVR's have built in eq's. Some even have parametric eq's. There's no easy way to eq all your sources to all the 5,6, or 7 channels on these new AVR's.

You can run a cd players rca outs to a 10 band eq's ins, then out to the surround AVR's cd input. But you cannot loop a 10 band graphic eq in to the surround AVR to eq FM radio, or digital toslink/coax from a cable box. The issue is graphic external eq's are for the most part stereo, and analog. Much of todays music is digital multi channel. DTS and DD won't work off an analog eq properly. You'd have to output your dvd players two channel rca's to the eq, then to the AVR's stereo inputs. At that point, you could listen to dvd's via 5 or 7 channel dsp stereo out of all your speakers, but the surround effect would not work.

Another way around this is to purchase a 5 channel eq and use it at the surround AVR's pre-outs. The eq would be placed between the surround AVR and a 5 channel dedicated amplifier. The problem is, you would have wasted your money on the amplification from the AVR since you're now powering your surround system with an external 5 channel amplifier.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
GhostInTheShell said:
Hi All,
Thanks,
Alex

Buckey touched on most of the cons, hard to implement. The pros is that it works and is desirable if you can implement it in a system. That may be the only way to tame some of the issues.

Some don't use it because of a belief system that less is more. In reality, less is just less:D

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
mtrycrafts said:
Buckey touched on most of the cons, hard to implement. The pros is that it works and is desirable if you can implement it in a system. That may be the only way to tame some of the issues.

Some don't use it because of a belief system that less is more. In reality, less is just less:D
It's Buckeye, not Buckey. ;)

I swear by the eq. I use it on my Denon 3805, and have an old graphic running my music system in the basement. You are right Marty - less is less.

P

pearsall001

Full Audioholic
Alex,

What exactly do you mean by saying you've done everything possible but still have several dips & peaks? Unless acoustical absorption, reflection panels & bass traps are part of your tweaks you haven't even scratched the surface in trying to tame your room. Without doing these treatments adding an EQ is pretty much a bandaid approach.

Wafflesomd

Wafflesomd

Senior Audioholic
I have an EQ, and I could live w/out it, then again, I never really use surround sound with my Pioneer VSX - 815, I dont really watch movies, or anything that may use surround sound. I just use 7 channel stereo most of the time, cuase I just listen to music.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I feel EQ is like deodorant while room treatment is like a shower. No amount of Right Guard will mask your b.o. if you're not clean, so to start with the deodorant is a waste of time. The EQ will be the fine tuning, and fix those last bits that can't be acheived with passive treatment.

I also feel that parametric EQ is the only type worth using. Graphic EQ is like a sawed off shotgun whereas parametric EQ is like a sniper rifle. Subtley & fine control is possible with parametric EQ.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis