EQ for Denon AV receiver...

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I'm actually watching YT videos of it now.

I thought it worked along with the AVR. But its a separate system altogether. This might be an option

I guess part of my issue is I really want to utilize the Zone 2 function of my AVR, which I've been doing. I just hate the lack of control I have while using it.
You hook it up to the zone two output...

B

blk00ss

Junior Audioholic
You hook it up to the zone two output...
OK, I gotcha. I thought it was a completely separate setup almost like using a ROKU box for TV channels.

So it would plug into my zone 2 pre out. the WIIM itself is a streaming device, an amp, and an EQ. I think I understand now.

another dumb question...do my outdoor speakers stay plugged into the inputs they're in now on back of AVR, or to the WIIM box itself? I assume the box for power?

and would we still be able to have two separate things playing at the same time in both zones?

B

blk00ss

Junior Audioholic
Thanks everyone, for the replies. I got some learning to do.

One last question...couldn't I also use a small amp like this? Run it to the Zone 2 pre outs of AVR then connect my speakers directly to it? I realize it doesn't have an actual EQ, but it at least has some treble/ bass adjustment. Thats more than what I have no within the Denon zone 2...

1715269450726.png

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
OK, I gotcha. I thought it was a completely separate setup almost like using a ROKU box for TV channels.

So it would plug into my zone 2 pre out. the WIIM itself is a streaming device, an amp, and an EQ. I think I understand now.

another dumb question...do my outdoor speakers stay plugged into the inputs they're in now on back of AVR, or to the WIIM box itself? I assume the box for power?

and would we still be able to have two separate things playing at the same time in both zones?
Well usually you just use a power amp on pre-outs, and use the volume control of the avr. Using an integrated amp like the wiim amp doubles up the pre-amp/volume control but gives you some options like eq.

Have you done the best positioning of the speakers and your seating? Eq may not do the trick so to speak....or even consider different speakers rather than add gear....

Zone 2 itself woyuld still work the same as far as inputs/sources....

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan

Speakers would go into the WiiM and the preouts from the Denon too. You can use your Denon sources and you can use the WIIM sources if you want. If you purchased the non amplified WiiM, it would connect to one of your inputs on the Denon, and the Denon would have to power the outside speakers.

Either way works, the WiiM amp version just gives your Denon a break and the outdoor speakers their own amp, giving you more "juice" inside.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, they do get used at the same time every so often. Wife might be inside watching tv while I'm outdoors.

what do you mean by "setting tweaks"? I only ask because I have been all through the Denon menu and I see nothing to tune Zone 2
No, there are quite a few limitations using Zone 2 in the X1200W. A Wiim amp is basically a mini stereo receiver that would connect directly to the outdoor speakers and be a stand alone system. It has its own app as it is network connectable. If the X1200W supports Airplay 2, not just Airplay, one could stream music from a Smart device to both the Denon and Wiim or just to one or the other as needed provided they are all connected to the same wifi network.

The X1200W does in fact have a Manual EQ. It also supports Front B speakers. So, with some very specific settings concerning sound mode and speaker configuration, one could use the outdoor speakers using Front B speakers, not Zone 2 and be able to adjust tone and EQ and not have the digitally connected external source device limitations of Zone 2. But, this means using the outdoor speakers when nobody is using the indoor speakers. Connecting the outdoor speakers to a Wiim is a simpler affair.

Screenshot 2024-05-09 at 8.13.16 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-05-09 at 8.13.30 AM.png

If interested in experimenting with Manual EQ and the outdoor speakers. Go into settings and change amp assign from Zone 2 to Front B. This will support 5.1 in Main Zone with an option to turn on Front B speakers in place of Front A speakers or use them at the same time when selecting A+B. Then, set Front speakers to Large and Subwoofer to LFE, not LFE+Main. Select Front B speakers, not A or A+B. Stream some music with the Denon in Stereo mode. Sound should only come out of the outdoor speakers if set correctly and Manual EQ and Tone settings should be applied to them. This is a chore to do manually each time. The new upper level Denon receivers can do these things automatically using new features for two channel music playback output from different speakers.

B

blk00ss

Junior Audioholic
Well usually you just use a power amp on pre-outs, and use the volume control of the avr. Using an integrated amp like the wiim amp doubles up the pre-amp/volume control but gives you some options like eq.

Have you done the best positioning of the speakers and your seating? Eq may not do the trick so to speak....or even consider different speakers rather than add gear....

Zone 2 itself woyuld still work the same as far as inputs/sources....
Honestly, there wasn't a ton of setup for the outdoor speakers. I just wanted some sound while I was on my back patio. THere are multiple seating positions out there so I tucked them up into the corners aiming them outward towards the yard. so nothing real strategic. and to be honest I've been pretty satisfied. I just felt it could maybe be a bit better. all cables I ran through attic space and then over to living room and down the wall and out to my AVR so everything is nice and neat. I'm super meticulous with how things look.

Anyhow, it was just a thought, and I'm aware I'm not up to date with all the latest and greatest tech so I thought I'd ask and maybe learn something, which I have.

B

blk00ss

Junior Audioholic
No, there are quite a few limitations using Zone 2 in the X1200W. A Wiim amp is basically a mini stereo receiver that would connect directly to the outdoor speakers and be a stand alone system. It has its own app as it is network connectable. If the X1200W supports Airplay 2, not just Airplay, one could stream music from a Smart device to both the Denon and Wiim or just to one or the other as needed provided they are all connected to the same wifi network.

The X1200W does in fact have a Manual EQ. It also supports Front B speakers. So, with some very specific settings concerning sound mode and speaker configuration, one could use the outdoor speakers using Front B speakers, not Zone 2 and be able to adjust tone and EQ and not have the digitally connected external source device limitations of Zone 2. But, this means using the outdoor speakers when nobody is using the indoor speakers. Connecting the outdoor speakers to a Wiim is a simpler affair.

View attachment 67459

View attachment 67460

If interested in experimenting with Manual EQ and the outdoor speakers. Go into settings and change amp assign from Zone 2 to Front B. This will support 5.1 in Main Zone with an option to turn on Front B speakers in place of Front A speakers or use them at the same time when selecting A+B. Then, set Front speakers to Large and Subwoofer to LFE, not LFE+Main. Select Front B speakers, not A or A+B. Stream some music with the Denon in Stereo mode. Sound should only come out of the outdoor speakers if set correctly and Manual EQ and Tone settings should be applied to them. This is a chore to do manually each time. The new upper level Denon receivers can do these things automatically using new features for two channel music playback output from different speakers.
Funny you brought this up...I considered doing this back when I set all this up. My only issue was it would be playing the same thing in both zones, which isn't a huge deal. But there are times I'm outside burning, doing yard work, whatever and my wife will be inside watching a movie

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Unfortunately, tone control for Zone 2 is limited to units higher up on the ladder concerning different brand AVRs. If just streaming music from different services, the Wiim amp for the outdoor speakers is an easy enough thing to add on. It can also be connected to the Denon Zone 2 pre outs as was mentioned but the signal out of the Zone 2 pre outs will be limited to streamed content and those source devices connected to the Denon using analog cables. It does not support digital signals from devices connected with HDMI, coaxial or optical cables.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just what are the speakers in zone 2? Got a pic? Outdoor speakers don't get extra reinforcement from boundaries like a closed room would....

B

blk00ss

Junior Audioholic
Just what are the speakers in zone 2? Got a pic? Outdoor speakers don't get extra reinforcement from boundaries like a closed room would....
They are Dayton audio IO655BT

But what about my question about the little BT amp. Would that work to at least give me some treble/ bass control?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Does this app work through my Denon receiver and my wired outdoor speakers? I currently use the Denon remote app and mainly use Pandora when outside.

I guess I'm confused how an app can have an EQ that I can manipulate, but its piggy backing an AV receiver that doesn't have a manual EQ. So if the receiver doesn't have an EQ currently, how can an app allow me to set a better EQ for my outdoor speakers?
This amp (not sure what you mean by app if that's the case) would just be using the signal from the pre-outs, just the straight L/R signal that you have no tone control for. This amp can apply to that signal some equalization (PEQ at that, better than graphic eq or simple tone controls) as well as amplification for your speakers.

You could use this amp two ways, you could set it up so the eq is applied but still control volume thru the avr, or you could use the volume control via Wiim's own app (but doubt you can do both with one app). One thing about using eq is that it should be set for a particular volume (it's not a dynamic eq that changes with volume) but you could make changes on the fly using it's own app. Since it's not a line-out, but rather a pre-out, for zone 2 into the amp, it's somewhat a balancing act as to how you set volume in each unit.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
They are Dayton audio IO655BT

But what about my question about the little BT amp. Would that work to at least give me some treble/ bass control?
Same speakers I use on my deck (except color). Don't think I have set any tone control for these, but have them under some eaves so get a little more bass reinforcement that way.

Yes, you could use the tone controls in the Fosi like the eq in the Wiim, but thought you were more concerned with midrange; the PEQ in the Wiim is superior and more flexible as to what frequencies you want to adjust.....

B

blk00ss

Junior Audioholic
Same speakers I use on my deck (except color). Don't think I have set any tone control for these, but have them under some eaves so get a little more bass reinforcement that way.

Yes, you could use the tone controls in the Fosi like the eq in the Wiim, but thought you were more concerned with midrange; the PEQ in the Wiim is superior and more flexible as to what frequencies you want to adjust.....
Got it, thank you.

The wiim setup...when I first started looking, I thought it was an app. I quickly realized its actually hardware

As for the speakers, there are no real issues with them. In fact, I've been quite pleased. They get used across a broad spectrum of music. Like you, mine are placed up under eaves of our patio for a little more bass response. I've just noticed with certain music they seem to be very mid heavy, and I was just wondering what options were available to me to tune them, if there were any options at all. While the wiim setup seems cool, it also seems my cheapest option may be to do the little amp like the Fosi or something similar that gives me a little more tonal control whereas I have none at all right now

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Couldn't say mine are mid heavy, but those might be the easiest frequencies to hear outside....could be more the music than speakers.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Got it, thank you.

The wiim setup...when I first started looking, I thought it was an app. I quickly realized its actually hardware

As for the speakers, there are no real issues with them. In fact, I've been quite pleased. They get used across a broad spectrum of music. Like you, mine are placed up under eaves of our patio for a little more bass response. I've just noticed with certain music they seem to be very mid heavy, and I was just wondering what options were available to me to tune them, if there were any options at all. While the wiim setup seems cool, it also seems my cheapest option may be to do the little amp like the Fosi or something similar that gives me a little more tonal control whereas I have none at all right now
They are outside speakers and inevitably placed in poor acoustic places and environments. In my view you are wasting your time. They will always sound lousy no matter what you do.

Unless you live way away from anyone else, I really feel there is no place for outside speakers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
They are outside speakers and inevitably placed in poor acoustic places and environments. In my view you are wasting your time. They will always sound lousy no matter what you do.

Unless you live way away from anyone else, I really feel there is no place for outside speakers.
I don't use mine so loud where they are audible at my property limits. Using one of your old tractors or diesel trucks would likely be a bigger nuisance noise wise....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I don't use mine so loud where they are audible at my property limits. Using one of your old tractors or diesel trucks would likely be a bigger nuisance noise wise....
A bit different. The neighbors were very glad to have the half mile private road maintained, graded and ploughed of snow in the winter. They also got their snow cleared. Now they have to pay for it, and wait for it in the winter. The miss the old model A which which was the only tractor that made a noise that carried a long way. The 420 was pretty smooth and not particularly loud. The Diesel Suburban was not unduly loud. In any event it was soon way down the road once started. It was not really louder than any other vehicle, except at idle.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
A bit different. The neighbors were very glad to have the half mile private road maintained, graded and ploughed of snow in the winter. They also got their snow cleared. Now they have to pay for it, and wait for it in the winter. The miss the old model A which which was the only tractor that made a noise that carried a long way. The 420 was pretty smooth and not particularly loud. The Diesel Suburban was not unduly loud. In any event it was soon way down the road once started. It was not really louder than any other vehicle, except at idle.
Depends what you find useful....my neighbors with diesels and motorized tractors are more annoying than useful. Their music tastes are more bad country and western, tho. We don't have much snow, and we get some city services for that. Any rattling diesel is annoying and am sure your Suburban is such.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Depends what you find useful....my neighbors with diesels and motorized tractors are more annoying than useful. Their music tastes are more bad country and western, tho. We don't have much snow, and we get some city services for that. Any rattling diesel is annoying and am sure your Suburban is such.
I sold the Suburban in the fall.

I would call pushing up snow banks like this useful.

I would call it very useful. I got 20 years hard work from that tractor, and it sold for more then I paid for it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis