Epson Home Cinema 8100 LCD Projector Review

D

davecraze

Audiophyte
8100 does not have the HQV Reon, according to Epson

I have contacted Epson and they tell me the 8100 has a Pixelworks processor, not the Reon. Please see below:

-------------------------------------------
Discussion Thread
Response (Jesus A) 08/18/2010 03:25 PM
Dear David,

Thank you for contacting Epson regarding your incident.

The Home Cinema 8100 does not use the HQV processor. It uses a PixelWorks processor. The projectors that use the HQV processor are the units that had the UB designation, like the 8500UB.

Should you require further assistance, please reply and reference incident ID: 100816-002813. If you have a different support issue, submit a request via our U.S. or Canada Support Site and we will respond in a timely manner.

Thank you again for contacting Epson.

Jesus A.

Question Reference #100816-002813
Escalation Level: Manila Unassign Incident
Product Level 1: Projector - Home Theater
Product Level 2: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8100
Category Level 1: None
Date Created: 08/16/2010 12:14 PM
Last Updated: 08/18/2010 03:25 PM

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
I've got the 8500UB and I love it so much. I am falling in love with some of my older DVD releases thanks to Frame Interpolation. I fainted watching Avatar in full 1080P glory. Who needs 3D when you've got a good projector.

F

fpickering

Audiophyte
Buyer Beware. Lamp life is not 4000 hours, actually closer to 500 hours

I bought this projector based on the fact that the bulb was rated for 4000 hours. After only ~500 hours the bulb failed. I called Epson who assured me that the problem was fixed as they've switched manufacturers and they shipped me a replacement under warranty.

After ~500 hours on the replacement bulb, it failed as well. I called Epson and even escalated the call to a supervisor and they offered me no solution but to purchase a replacement bulb for $300. I asked them why I would give them $300 for a replacement when two out of two bulbs that I had used thus far only lasted ~500 hours. Further, I asked how I could trust their word that the issue was fixed since this is what they told me the first time the bulb failed. Epson switching bulb manufacturers obviously did not fix the issue. Do not believe them when they tell you this.

It appears that what happened here is they were sending me these defective bulbs and were stringing me along until my warranty was up. I told the supervisor that his unwillingness to do anything resulted in Epson losing a customer forever. I also assured him that I would review the product and share my unfortunate story. Lastly, I am pondering suing them in small claims court for false advertising just out of principle.

If you want to buy new bulbs every 5oo hours at $300 a pop then this is the projector for you! Buyer Beware.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis