Epson 6500UB LCD Projector Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
It's always surprising to me to see new projectors hit the market with better and better performance and less and less compromise - and at prices often identical to, or even lower than, just a year prior. It's like going out and buying a house with an extra 500 square feet and better upgrades than your own for 20% less than you paid a year ago. Come to think of it, just about anyone can do that right now. In either case, projectors like the Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500UB has more features, bulb life, and overall image quality than its predecessor and seems to be a real market leader in terms of performance and value. If you thought the Home Cinema 1080UB projector was a deal, hold onto your DVDs and read on…

Discuss "Epson 6500UB LCD Projector Review" here. Read the article.

So is it the economy or does everyone already have their mind made up on this projector?

I thought I'd get some feedback on the gaming lag comments...

strube

strube

Audioholic Field Marshall
Well, I know I had a "jittering" problem on my dad's Panasonic PT-AE3000U with Rock Band 2, but all I had to do was turn off the frame interpolation and recalibrate the game and everything was fine.

If this simple fix doesn't work with the Epson (which I was planning on purchasing by the end of the year), it would probably be a no-sale for me, and I would likely go with a different option.

majorloser

majorloser

So is it the economy or does everyone already have their mind made up on this projector?

It's just you. :p

I don't have a problem with my 7500UB having lag from my Xbox360. But then I'm using HDMI where I believe you were using component. I also don't play the "wannabe rocker" games. ;)

You just need to drive over this weekend and help get mine calibrated. :D

N

ned

Full Audioholic
As always great review Clint. However most reviews and user experience has been available for a while and so the surprise element is gone.

I did not consider Epson due to quality issues and went with JVC RS20 instead.

majorloser

majorloser

Seriously, this was a great review. Gave me WAY too much info that I can now apply to my 7500UB. I haven't even had a chance to go through all the menus and experiment with settings. 'Bout the only real thing I've done is set it to "high altitude" to keep the fan on high speed.

T

Trezl

Junior Audioholic

I don't have issues with lag on most games. I did notice some lag on Rock Band, but I didn't realize it could be the projector. Rock Band does have some calibration ability to re-align and account for display lag, so I'll play with that this weekend.

Matt34

Matt34

This just makes me miss my projector, I'll get another one some day.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Epson has been so responsive to the industry over the last few years that they've really come from nowhere to capture a top notch listing in the front projection market.

Clearly, those who are buying the JVC models tend to be getting some of the absolute best available right now, and I wouldn't compare the Epson without first noting the price difference.

If I'm able to get a new projector this year (no guarantee), then it would likely be the 6500. But, I may be buying a new home instead, so if I need my money for that, then that's where I'll be spending my cash.

G

ggraef

Audiophyte
Measuring lag

So how do you measure lag? There is a lengthy thread at AVSForum with interesting lag testing methodology and results... Since I'm considering a 6500 upgrade I'm curious how it compares to my current projector...

Thanks!
GErry

D

dDavid

Audiophyte
Clint,
I enjoyed your review of the Epson 6500UB. I am looking to replace my Yamaha LPX-500 with something with 1080 and better blacks. I have been looking at the Epson 6500UB and the BenQ W5000. I noticed you reviewed both and would like to know which you prefer? I am projecting from a ceiling mount 10'3" back onto a 82" Firehawk screen in a living room with 96% light control (100% at night!)

Thanks!

David

C

cjsxv2

Audiophyte
I currently have the Epson 1080ub. I previously had an Epson 1080, before that an Epson 7800P. When upgrading to new projectors the largest improvement Inoticed was from the Epson 1080 to the 1080ub. Ive seen a Epson 6500 as my friend has had one for a little while now. I didnt notice much difference at all between his 6500 and my 1080ub.... but maybe he doesnt have it calibrated properly. Has anyone else upgraded from a 1080ub to a 6500 and noticed "noticably" difference?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I currently have the Epson 1080ub. I previously had an Epson 1080, before that an Epson 7800P. When upgrading to new projectors the largest improvement Inoticed was from the Epson 1080 to the 1080ub. Ive seen a Epson 6500 as my friend has had one for a little while now. I didnt notice much difference at all between his 6500 and my 1080ub.... but maybe he doesnt have it calibrated properly. Has anyone else upgraded from a 1080ub to a 6500 and noticed "noticably" difference?
The reports from the pro sites which have tested both indicate that the difference in quality between the 1080UB and the 6500 is subtle. As is going to be the case for a while I expect, the improvements we see over the next few years for 1080p home theater projectors will be found through lower pricing and brighter models with similar contrast ratios.

I'm hoping we might start seeing far truer blacks (LCoS levels) with brightness that can hit 2,000+ lumens accurately.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis