Epson 5030ub HDMI Port Issue

E

EMac0408

Audiophyte
I am trying to set up a 5030ub for my neighbor, and neither of the HDMI ports are working. The component cables work just fine, and the temp and lamp lights have never indicated a problem. When I change the source to either of the HDMI inputs, the projector becomes unresponsive for about 1 minute 30 seconds and then says there is no signal. This happens whether there is anything plugged in to the port or not. I have tried multiple HDMI cables (< 5ft) and devices (Blu-Ray, Xbox 360, and Chromecast). I have also tried turning the projector and source on in different orders. I imagine firmware has nothing to due with the problem, but it was old. I updated to v111 just to rule it out. Also, the projector emits alternating tones intermittently that I read is most likely due to an aftermarket bulb so probably unrelated as well.

Is there anything else I can try, or is this definitely a hardware issue? If it is a hardware issue, does anyone have an information on parts or repair? Information on repair seems to be pretty sparse online.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me!

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I think we need to know more about this system before considering a cause. You mention a number of peripheral units. How are you getting that signal to the projector? Are you using a receiver or some sort of HDMI switch or splitter?

Also do you have another screen hooked up in the system at the same time? If so, this might be an EDID issue.

One thing that comes to mind is a repeater handshake issue. The projector just needs an initial HDCP code handshake as it is an end device. At least I assume it is and has no HDMI outputs, just inputs. It sounds as if the projector is getting an initial handshake and it is correct.

Now if you have some sort of unit between the projector and the peripherals then there is likely and issue there. Units that receive and send HDMI require continuous repeater architecture. If you have unit in the chain that should have repeater architecture but does not, then the result would be as you describe.

The projector is 2013, and I would not think that its HDCP code version is out of date for what you are connecting to it.

E

EMac0408

Audiophyte
I am just bench testing the projector right now, so the sources are directly connected to the projector without any intervening devices or other screens hooked up.

Yes, the projector is an end device, but I am not sure if there is a handshake like you're talking about. It becomes unresponsive for 1.5 minutes whether there is anything plugged in to the HDMI port or not (edited to included that in OP).

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I am just bench testing the projector right now, so the sources are directly connected to the projector without any intervening devices or other screens hooked up.

Yes, the projector is an end device, but I am not sure if there is a handshake like you're talking about. It becomes unresponsive for 1.5 minutes whether there is anything plugged in to the HDMI port or not (edited to included that in OP).
So that HDMI Board is done in the Epson. If you can find another then repair is possible. At the age it is doubtful if one would still be available.
So far more likely than not it is new projector time.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I have checked Encompass who are huge electronics parts supplier, and although they have a lot of parts for Epson projectors they do not have any parts for that model. I can't find that anybody else has either. Bulbs seem to be the only part available. I have searched eBay also.

I have the impression that model had excess HDMI board problems and also possibly the PSU.

So I think you will have to persuade your neighbor to recycle that unit.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you can still use component that may not be so bad :)

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The most likely issue is that there was an electrical surge which took out the HDMI board. I believe these connectors are on the main board of the projector and it's not something that would typically be a DiY fix, but would require an authorized service center.

It's a nice projector, but it may only work via component video moving forward.

About the most exciting purchase out there right now may be the refurbished Epson 5040 projector for $1,151 on their website. Cheaper than about any repair you can hope to find!
https://epson.com/Clearance-Center/Home-Entertainment/PowerLite-Home-Cinema-5040UB-3LCD-Projector-with-4K-Enhancement-and-HDR---Refurbished/p/V11H713020-N

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis