Enter to Win: Rives Audio Test CD 2

Do you have any acoustical treatments in your home theater or listening room?

• Yes

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • No

Votes: 67 82.7%

• Total voters
S

shokunin

Audiophyte
Speaker placement and positioning. I'd love to put up room treatments, but the wife says no way... I think Room Treatment or understanding the room and applying appropriate treatment to the room is the best way to maximize gains. However, those of us without dedicated room or rooms that are already heavily trimmed out have a harder time finding and placing treatment that is obscure and hidden.

S

Shaftoe

Enthusiast
The most cost effective change for me was getting my bookshelf speakers off the floor. This was one of my priorities but couldn't decide if I wanted stands, shelves or have them mounted directly to the wall. I eventually went with shelves on the wall. Very inexpensive, not very time consuming and has made a world of difference. We end up getting a clearer sound and don't have to increase the volume as much.

P

paintrodsey

Enthusiast
The best bang for the buck for me were home made acoustic treatments. They cost only $100, and the highs sounded much better.

S

Svenhook

Audioholic
Definitly my Speakers. Got the Fronts for cheap at etronics.com, the Rears on Audiogon, and my pride and joy, My sub that cost me less than $100. God bless ebay right?

B

bearearz

Junior Audioholic
Rives Audio Test CD 2

I'm hopeing this is still open!Regarding the most cost-effective upgrade or change I would agree is a"Good Subwoffer"!While it won't make up for less than decent "Speakers", the difference in terms of sound & effect are to be sure-Cost-Effective!

B

brucewoodington

Audioholic Intern
Installed carpet. Reduced reflected sounds, deadned the room.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Contest Question: What has been the most cost effective upgrade or change to your listening environment (acoustical treatments, speakers, specific component, etc.)? Please describe the change as you experienced it.
Well, for the worse, removing my carpet. But I had to, it was ruined.

Adding a larger subwoofer when I moved into a larger room has been the biggest change. The output was unsatisfactory from my old one, and the Child in me was not becoming inpatient.

SheepStar

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
My most effective change was the addition of a BFD parametric equalizer. I was able to reshape bass frequency response to compensate for subwoofer and room response variations.

O

ogle1975

Audiophyte
The most effective change that I have made was to purchase new speakers. I have also purchased new, larger sofas and hung drapes over the windows.

A

AlienZen

Audiophyte
The most cost-effective change for me has been swapping my front L/R speakers with my surround L/R. The specs on the surround speakers were a much better match to my sub-woofer, causing a much smoother sweep from lows to highs.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Absolutely the best improvement in my system came with the addition of an Hsu subwoofer...replacing a cheaper brand.

B

btravis311

Audiophyte
The biggest single improvement I've experienced was to actually get a room that could be described as a listening environment. The room my theater is in now is the first room totally dedicated to movies/music, and of COURSE that makes a huge difference, opening up all the options for speaker placement and seating.

jcsprankle

jcsprankle

Audioholic
I haven't done anything...

I have a very tricky room. The room itself is shaped like a rectangle with one side shorter than the opposite side (it that a rombus??). Plus, the back of the room is completely open to the kitchen. I do have carpet so that should help but I'm in need of guidance before I proceed.

That test CD sure would help :D !!

I

IndoSlim

Audioholic Intern
I would have to say placing my speakers in the recommended dolby 5.1 setup. Before that, my two surround speakers were directly behind the listening position (I'm new to Home Theater), and it sounded just o.k. But now, it sounds great. I love my sweet spot!!!

E

eschilke

Audiophyte
The best upgrade was installing a full theater system in a new finished basement. The room was transformed in to a concrete storage area. To a home theater, where many can relax and enjoy the show.

B

BMO

Junior Audioholic
Without a doubt the biggest improvement was the addition of Monitor Audio Gold GR-20's The dept of the soundstage seems limitless.Detail is crisp and remains warm.Space between instruments is very detailed.
While my old speakers sounded good on certain types of music, I'm able to realy injoy a much broader range of musical deversity.

T

tleonard

Audiophyte
clean power

My most impressive upgrade wasn't any traditional component, but rather power conditioning!

I added two (one for the analog side / one for the digital) power conditioners from powervar (no overpriced Monster or other "audio power conditioners" for me)... Amazing improvement in dynamics, lowered noise floor and improved response. Bigger improvement than my last receiver upgrade and dvd upgrade combined. Only other improvement that would be close was adding an alpha processing Denon CD player (can't recall the model off the top of my head).

masak_aer

masak_aer

Senior Audioholic
My most cost effective accoustical upgrade would be the Auralex Gramma Sound Isolation Riser for $49.95. It has improved my listening experience. I have been able to turn up my HT up to 40% higher than before the absorber pad without getting banged on the door from my neighbor. Thanks to bongobob for the advice.

V

vaf3

Audioholic Intern
I think by far the most cost effective improvement I made to my listening room, aka my living room in my apartment, was my sub. I used to have a JBL E250P and I upgraded to a used SVS CS 25-31+. I ended up selling my JBL quite ironically to the guy that lives above me (he wasn't too fond of it, while in use at least lol) and after everything was said and done I only paid 250 for the sub and the amp that came with it shipped. The sub is phenominal and sounds soooooo much better than my old one and really complements my fronts a lot better. Better extension better everything obviously. Best and most cost effective upgrade for me to date.

T

tla536

Enthusiast
The best has been new carpet and new furniture that is very soft. I have had to turn up the sub to makeup the differance.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis