Enhanced sound for Sony Bravia XR 65-A95K TV

C

Chuck Cohen

Audiophyte
Looking for a little education. We got the 2023 Sony Bravia XR 65 A95K TV 6 weeks ago. I must say it’s been a fascinating learning experience. Not to mention great tv. I’ve gotten some understanding of its very different sound system driven by actuators. I want better sound, but have no need for an ultimate. Expensive set-up and experience. Our set sits slightly inset yo a large wooden entertainment center with plenty of space behind snd around it. I was hoping to not need an A/V receiver, but it appears that to best utilize the TV’s sound potential I need decent right and left speakers, and to configure the center channel speakers in the tv.
I have a wired Velodyne DLR 3400R subwoofer 6’ to the left of the tv that is not connected. Haven’t bought a SVS transmitter/receiver set-up seebecause I need to figure out everything else first
So, if I’m looking at getting a couple of “home theater” quality speakers, but I do not want a surround sound system per se. Im looking at a Klipsch 7 series or 9 series. Then I’d like to use my home tv center channel for much better spoken words and sounds. It appears that to maximize all issues I need an AV Receiver such as the Sony low cost model (STR-AN1000 for $900). If I opt to do this would my new side speakers be wired or work via Bluetooth? I assume my SW speaker would get wired drlrectly.

Thanks for the help, folks.
Chuck Cohen

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
There are several options available to you so no one correct answer.
  • First consider your media sources. Do you have just a couple or several? Will there be a gaming system or disc player attached or just a cable box or streaming devices (Apple TV, Roku, etc)? If you only have a couple of streaming sources it can be ok to connect them to the TV and then feed the audio from the TV to an AVR or powered speakers. You can use the Audio Return Channel (HDMI-ARC) to connect from the TV to an AVR or optical out. HDMI is preferred for surround systems but if your goal is only 2-channel audio then optical can do the job.
  • If you have several sources then the preferred method is to connect all devices to the AVR and feed the video signal to the TV via HDMI. The AVR should match the TV for resolution or be at least 4k and have enough 4k inputs for the number 4k sources you may have or plan to have. While there are 2 channel amps with HDMI they tend to be priced higher so an AVR can be more cost effective with more features (just don't use the surround channels).
  • The new Sony AVRs have the option to share center channel duty with the TV speakers, but make sure you get a model with that feature (I believe the STR-AN1000 does). Personally, I don't think any built in TV speaker will match the quality of a decent center channel speaker. How do you find dialogue from the A95K now? You do have the flexibility to try the "acoustic center sync" option first and if dialogue is lacking you could add a center speaker later if it fits into the entertainment center.
  • Speakers will be wired, not bluetooth. An AVR will require wires to the speakers and a line level signal (RCA cable) from the subwoofer out to the subwoofer. Some powered speakers can receive a bluetooth signal from streamers but TVs can not stream audio wirelessly (usually they only connect to bluetooth headphones). If you connect your sources to the TV and you only need 2.1 or 3.1, powered speakers can be an option that avoid the need for an AVR. You still need to think about cabling. You will need a power outlet for each speaker and an HDMI-ARC or optical cable from the TV to one speaker. There typically will be a one long cable from that speaker to the other one to carry the audio signal. Note that not all powered speakers support HDMI-ARC so the speaker must have the supported inputs needed and not all have subwoofer outputs so that's something to look for.
  • Powered speakers will not separate the center channel dialogue. You'll need to look at the TV settings and see how it functions with external speakers. The TV speakers may not function as desired in this setup (more research required). If the speakers are close to the TV, it will create a "phantom" center image. 2 speaker setups can work well if seating is directly in front of the TV, no center speaker required. If the speakers are far apart or there are seats off to the side then a center speaker will position dialogue better.
Mostly some food for thought. You'll likely get some more feedback. Think about whether powered speakers or an AVR is the better option and maybe list your media sources. Members can then make more suggestions based on that.

C

Chuck Cohen

Audiophyte
  • First consider your media sources. Do you have just a couple or several? Will there be a gaming system or disc player attached or just a cable box or streaming devices (Apple TV, Roku, etc)? If you only have a couple of streaming sources it can be ok to connect them to the TV and then feed the audio from the TV to an AVR or powered speakers. You can use the Audio Return Channel (HDMI-ARC) to connect from the TV to an AVR or optical out. HDMI is preferred for surround systems but if your goal is only 2-channel audio then optical can do the job.
  • If you have several sources then the preferred method is to connect all devices to the AVR and feed the video signal to the TV via HDMI. The AVR should match the TV for resolution or be at least 4k and have enough 4k inputs for the number 4k sources you may have or plan to have. While there are 2 channel amps with HDMI they tend to be priced higher so an AVR can be more cost effective with more features (just don't use the surround channels).
  • The new Sony AVRs have the option to share center channel duty with the TV speakers, but make sure you get a model with that feature (I believe the STR-AN1000 does). Personally, I don't think any built in TV speaker will match the quality of a decent center channel speaker. How do you find dialogue from the A95K now? You do have the flexibility to try the "acoustic center sync" option first and if dialogue is lacking you could add a center speaker later if it fits into the entertainment center.
  • Speakers will be wired, not bluetooth. An AVR will require wires to the speakers and a line level signal (RCA cable) from the subwoofer out to the subwoofer. Some powered speakers can receive a bluetooth signal from streamers but TVs can not stream audio wirelessly (usually they only connect to bluetooth headphones). If you connect your sources to the TV and you only need 2.1 or 3.1, powered speakers can be an option that avoid the need for an AVR. You still need to think about cabling. You will need a power outlet for each speaker and an HDMI-ARC or optical cable from the TV to one speaker. There typically will be a one long cable from that speaker to the other one to carry the audio signal. Note that not all powered speakers support HDMI-ARC so the speaker must have the supported inputs needed and not all have subwoofer outputs so that's something to look for.
  • Powered speakers will not separate the center channel dialogue. You'll need to look at the TV settings and see how it functions with external speakers. The TV speakers may not function as desired in this setup (more research required). If the speakers are close to the TV, it will create a "phantom" center image. 2 speaker setups can work well if seating is directly in front of the TV, no center speaker required. If the speakers are far apart or there are seats off to the side then a center speaker will position dialogue better.
Mostly some food for thought. You'll likely get some more feedback. Think about whether powered speakers or an AVR is the better option and maybe list your media sources. Members can then make more suggestions based on that.
E
===============================
Eppie, thanks for your note. I might ask some basic questions as it’s been many decades since I’ve looked into these systems. The basics, I believe, have changed/evolved. So, no gaming systems. I have a 3 year old DIRECTV Genie receiver and a 2 year old HDMI 2.1 AppleTV, both with 2.1 new cables. I have a 4 year old Sony Blue-Ray player. I’m not sure what version HDMI it is. I’ll check it out. I’m going slowly regarding channels. I’ll be getting two speakers to go either side of the entertainment center. I’m pondering Klipsch 7s or 9s. And then using the TV for the center speaker with better audio. I prefer not to have large towers. I like the looks of the Klipsch, but realize the sound characteristics may be better if I place them each on small, sturdy table stands to elevate them at least 24” off the floor. I have a 6-8 year old Velodyne SW speaker that only does wired no Bluetooth. So, I’m assuming I could cable all 3 speakers to the AVR.

The sound from the TV is okay. I do, however, like the concept of using the actuator speaking technology with sources of sound being recognized on screen. I also like the idea of being able to use the speakers for music via my iPhone 13Plus. You mention <If you connect your sources to the TV and you only need 2.1 or 3.1, powered speakers can be an option that avoid the need for an AVR.> Would I be losing anything by not using an AVR? With two side speakers and a SW and the TV’s center speakers is this a 3.1 or 4.1 design. But, my Velodyne is powered and needs a hard wired input and there usnt one on the TV. So, it still seems that I need an AVR? Is it possible to try the acoustic center sync option now before I do anything? The dialog now is better than it was on our old tv. But getting sound originating from the source location on screen would be nice. I was hoping to be able to play music from my iPhone to the new speakers via Bluetooth without a need to turn on the tv. I thought the Klipsch 7 and 9 series did that.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
You can get Bluetooth connectivity with either a powered speaker or an AVR. The Sony STR-AN1000 dues support Bluetooth and also Apple Air-Play. Something like Klipsch The Fives or Sevens would work too. The Sevens have HDMI-ARC and optical in to get audio from the TV, have a subwoofer output and also have bluetooth. The Nines are a step up from The Sevens, depending on your budget and desired size.

With an AVR you have loads of options for bookshelf speakers. If you like Klipsch, maybe the RP 600M-II? I recommend you try and visit a stereo shop if at all possible. KEF has some very good bookshelves as well but will sound quite different from Klipsch, or if you want something not loo large the Hsu CCB-8 is very good and can lie horizontally or vertically because it has a concentric driver (like KEF Q series).

The issue I see with powered bookshelves is that I don't know how they will interact with the TV speakers. The Klipsch remote will adjust the speaker volume but not the TV volume. You want the speakers to work in unison with the TV. The TV's HDMI and optical sends a fixed signal so the TV volume will not affect the powered speakers. Powered speakers are designed to work alone with the TV speakers disabled. If you are set on using the TV speakers, then you'll need a compatible soundbar or a Sony AVR that supports acoustic center sync. From the Sony web site: "The S-Center speaker input is compatible with the HT-A9, HT-A7000, HT-A5000, HT-A3000 soundbar models, and the STRAN1000, STRAZ1000ES, STRAZ3000ES, STRAZ5000ES, STRAZ7000ES A/V receiver models."

I think most members would not recommend using the TV speakers with external speakers. It's usually an either/or situation. The Sony AVR feature is the exception but has not been tested so I can't say how well it works.

If the Velodyne has an RCA input, then don't worry about it. Any new AVR will have a subwoofer output and for powered speakers just make sure a subwoofer output is featured. You then need a long enough RCA cable to connect the subwoofer to your source.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis