Energy or How mighty have fallen

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Definitely a far cry from the speakers I've heard from them.

P

pjviitas

Audioholic Intern
This is typical in the consumer driven society we live in.

I just purchased a set of CF-30's for $300CAD which is about $226USD.

They sound a lot better than what I had but ya...signs that the end is near when you can get an $800CAD set of speakers for $300CAD.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Ever since API sold to Klipsch, their products have either disappeared or gone to He!! in a handbasket.

http://www.klipsch.com/pressreleases/klipsch-group-inc-acquires-audio-products-international

Athena was discontinued almost instantly. These were fine speakers for the price and were available in Best Buy, in direct competition with Klipsch. but, sound wise, they blew Klipsch out of the water. After they were "disappeared", Klipsch came out with their Ikon line.

PS: I'm still running a set of these:

http://www.hometheatersound.com/equipment/athena_audition_asf1_asc1_asb1.htm

Only difference is I'm running a bigger satellite, the AS-B2's and a subwoofer.

Mirage still has a web site but I can only find one dealer within 50 miles. I live 9 miles from Columbus Circle in NYC.

Energy seems to be the only one that's still in production and it's a pale shadow of what it once was.

Last edited:
anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Everything designed under Klipsch is garbage. This includes the CB/CF models listed above which where not designed by Energy. They are Klipsch designed speakers with an Energy badge. They are just fair sounding in my book. I own CB5's and can only use them for surround duty. They sound pretty poor otherwise. Lesson learned.

The funny thing is even Energy saw the writing on the walls and started to cheapen the designs towards the end.

I also wonder if PSB is going this way as well. They have scaled back there product line quite a bit while offering limited finishes. The most expensive bookshelf monitor PSB offers is 1100.00. What happen to the much nicer Synchrony series. PSB still makes a great speaker but I see similar signs of cost cutting going on and it makes me wonder.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis