Enclosed in-ceiling speaker help

M

mx416

Audioholic
Hi All-

I am looking for help regarding in-ceiling speaker in my newly purchased house. I will be using the in-ceiling speakers as surround channels for a 5.2 system. The ceiling height is 10'. The house I am purchasing has blown in insulation. The in-ceiling surrounds will be ran off a denon x4300h.

1. Should i be looking for a in-ceiling speaker that has an enclosure due to the blown in insulation?
2. If number 1 is true then I would like some recommendations.

Budget $200-$500 for the pair

Thanks for all the help

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
You can use any in ceiling speaker. I have blown in insulation and I simply made a little cardboard box to fit over the speaker and then put the insulation back over top of it. Been working absolutely fine for the last 15 years. I bought Cambridge speakers.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I also use 4 rsl c34e’s. My ceiling has plastic vapor barrier so unless I cut too deep, the insulation stays put. If you can’t do that, after you cut the hole, take some regular fiberglass batting and stuff it up in the hole. That will keep the blow in, in place and shouldn’t harm the speaker at all.

nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
I also use 4 rsl c34e’s. My ceiling has plastic vapor barrier so unless I cut too deep, the insulation stays put. If you can’t do that, after you cut the hole, take some regular fiberglass batting and stuff it up in the hole. That will keep the blow in, in place and shouldn’t harm the speaker at all.
I like the first pair so much i bought a second pair.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I like the first pair so much i bought a second pair.
Nice!
I bought mine without hearing them, but I was sure they’d do what I want which was 1) match the slope of my ceiling and 1) sound great. All good on both counts.
Before installing them in my ceiling, I made temporary boxes, and used them as mains in my bedroom 5.1 system. I was really impressed with the imaging. They do sound great overall, if just a slight bit soft on the treble. I’d recommend them to anyone.

sven1olaf

sven1olaf

Audioholic
Woohoo...

I'm think I'm gonna grab a pair for my room as well.

Thanks guys!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
You will NOT be disappointed!!!
Sorry for all the hit n runs I’m pulling lately. Been super busy.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis