EMPtek Impression E55Ti Floorstanding Speaker System Review

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don't know of any 2 way bookshelf speaker that can play as loudly as the E55s. Most bookshelfs will bottom if driven full range at high SPL levels. I discuss this in my review of the E55s.
What about the RBH T1?:D

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
What about the RBH T1?
I stand corrected. :eek:

Let me better qualify my statement:
I don't know of any 2-way, 2 driver bookshelf speaker that has the output capabilities of the E55s.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
What about the RBH T1?:D
I don't know that I'm willing to accept a 30" tall speaker with 4 ea. 6-1/2 mid-woofers as a bookshelf speaker. RBH does not include them in their list of bookshelf speakers.
Nonetheless, that is a lot of performance in a "non-floor standing" speaker.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I stand corrected. :eek:

Let me better qualify my statement:
I don't know of any 2-way, 2 driver bookshelf speaker that has the output capabilities of the E55s.
If I had to think, I'd bet the Seaton Spark could compete and maybe beat the E55s but that's an unconventional design and a pair still costs just short of four times the price of these towers... and it's not like i've actually tried it out myself....

But again, you can't put a bookshelf on the ground and expect great sound. I'm really biased against speaker stands... they make the cost of bookshelfs higher and monoprice stands only hold satellites. I'd rather spend 800 on something that looks nice than 400 on a bookshelf pair and 300 on a pair of stands that look decent... and no i ain't makin no PVC stands and expectin them to look nice.

Seriously, there's gotta be an emotiva of speaker stands. is that too much to ask?

Last edited:
just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
i buy floorstanders because i like big speakers. to me, my swans are a medium size speaker. i would like something like the E55ti or 6.1's in a 12" version.

i like the LEGACY 3x12" speakers.

F

Flyinace2000

Junior Audioholic
I bought these when they came out (so i have Rev1 i guess). I have them matched with EMP center and the EMP bookshelfs for the rears (a compromise with Mrs. Flyinace2000). I am also using a Chrysalis subwoofer.

I live in hoboken NJ if anyone wants to bring a CD/BluRay and listen to these speakers.

C

Calvin Hobbes

Audioholic Intern
Good day all.

I am an owner of the E55Ti speakers. I also have the matching center and surrounds, along with the Hsu VTF 2.3. I am using these in the living area that is somewhat open to the kitchen that totals 2800 cf. I researched for and demoed speakers for months b4 giving these a try. I looked at Paradigm Studio 100's, Focal 836, Def Tech, etc. After receiving these in August, and setting them up for best position for room response b4 using Audessey, I was very impressed with the balance of sound in direct mode. I do find that the treble appears to roll off a little bit, but after calibration it had better high end detail. I positioned the towers two feet from the front wall and did ½ meter measurements centered on the upper woofer. Corrected measurements follow.

25Hz 70db
31.578db
40 82db
50 79db
63 84db
80 96db
100 88db
125 81db
160 84db
200 84db

I obviously have a problem at 40hz, esp with minimal acoustic treatments, but with prudent placement of speakers, furniture, door openings, etc., and Audessey, the sound is phenomenal. Very clean. Even well above 100db the sound is effortless. I am quite surprised that it really does not sound as loud as it is. I suppose that is a lack of distortion at play. Of course, competing in IASCA competitions 20 years ago where max spl in cars were limited to 140 db probably killed my hearing...

Overall I must say I am quite happy with these speakers as is my wife. I demoed a number of speakers within the 30 day return window to make sure I was happy. I listened to a number of $4000.00 plus speakers and was not found wanting. These are used 50/50 music/HT. Music consists of Classical, Jazz, Metal, Jennifer Warnes …

I did find listening to Zeppelin a problem at first. The mixing really needs to be redone, not just another re mastering. The sound just was not there with Audessey engaged. My fix was to spend 45 minutes manually setting up the 15 band eq built into the Integra 40.2 until the sound was right. I really miss the old days of easy access to memory eq for different listening problems. But I must say, hearing Bonham through this set up brings chills to my spine and a smile to my face. And sometimes a Holy Cow!!!

I hope some find this helpful. This is an amazing set up for an amazing price.

C

Calvin Hobbes

Audioholic Intern
Gambini,

Sorry for the late reply. Apparently, I need more post to pm.

As far as placement goes I measure from the front baffle to the rear wall. I should think you are fine in that regard. The problem with Zep and Audessey is that the speakers are set to deliver a "flat" frequency response at the seating area, while Page mixed the music to sound great in a car at loud and in your face volumes. I find Bonham's drumming lacking impact unless you can boost the 100-630 freq response. Also, when Audessey is disabled the upper mids and highs are a little bit rolled off in my listening environment.

These speakers are very tune-able, all the musical info is there, and they will adapt to many different listening environments. Listening to them after calibration, I find that with my rock music including Tool, Pink Floyd and Rush sound great. I do need to adjust for Zep though, no two ways about it. I find that I will not listen otherwise...

For movies the center channel has been a surprise. The tonal characteristics match the people on screen and the clarity is perfect. No boomy voices, just clear enunciation. I did not listen to the Paradigm center channel. My main concern was musical quality. I did not find the Studio 100's to give me anything more than the EMP's, especially for the price.

I would seriously audition speakers and bring some rock cd's that you know and love. Without the ability to eq with your receiver, perhaps a speaker that is somewhat like a Klipsch or Axiom m80 might work better for you. For the difference in price, you might want to consider a higher end receiver...

Hopefully, I am not too over the top. If you are in the area you are more than welcome to audition my system.

Good luck,

Mark

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Even well above 100db the sound is effortless. I am quite surprised that it really does not sound as loud as it is. I suppose that is a lack of distortion at play.
This. today after my midterm I got home and started to listen to some music. I kept turning the volume up to 0 on the receiver waiting for that "too loud" volume to strike me... that's usually where I habitually turn things down. I felt like things were... quiet. 0 on the receiver by all means is supposed to be unbearable loud, yet this just felt.. comfortable.

And then later, a buddy came over with the Prince of Persia blu-ray. we watched this thing at -3 (with no sub, mind you, so i'm sure there was some information missing) and "comfortable" was again the best way to describe it. We did end up turning the volume down when my mom woke up from her nap though.

G

gambini

Enthusiast
I would seriously audition speakers and bring some rock cd's that you know and love. Without the ability to eq with your receiver, perhaps a speaker that is somewhat like a Klipsch or Axiom m80 might work better for you. For the difference in price, you might want to consider a higher end receiver...

Hopefully, I am not too over the top. If you are in the area you are more than welcome to audition my system.

Good luck,

Mark
Thanks for the reply. I figured there might be a posting issue with the pm.
Long Beach is not too far, I'm in North San Diego. In fact, I met my wife at the Long Beach jazz festival, but I think I need to evaluate these speakers in my own home, with all of my own placement and component issues. I just bought my Onkyo receiver, not planning on upgrading speakers, so I can't really upgrade that too, right now.

Locally, I've checked out Paradigm Monitor and Studio lines and PSB imagines. I like the Studio 60's, but I have neither the power nor the budget to go there (again, should have bought a better receiver).

According to Gene's review my HT-RC260 should be able to power the E55Tis and I have a Velodyne SPL1000, so I'll be crossing them over and won't have to power the low end. My biggest beef with my receiver is that the lowest crossover setting is 80 Hz. I'm actually auditioning some Def Teks bp7006that I got on closeout at BB. They sound great in the middle of my room, but are not going to work near the back wall where they need to be. Not being able to cross my sub lower is making incorporation of the sub a challenge. I may have to use the sub's crossover instead of the Onkyo's.

I'll report back once I've tried out the EMP Impressions.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hey Guys,
I'm considering these speakers real soon, crossed over to the new Legend sub which is amazing for the price as are the the EMP's. I wanted to put these speakers about three feet from back of speaker to front wall and about two feet from side walls, do you think I'll lose a lot of the base capabilities of the 55's that far from front and side walls? Thanks for your time, I like to pull my speakers out into the room, my original Athena F2's sound pretty good with this placement, although they are front ported. Do you believe there will be a substantial sound quality improvement with the EMP's over the Athena's. They will be driven by an external amp, the EMO UPA-2 for now, I am sincere with my questions and respect all here at AH who have been honest and to the point with all my queries, again, thank you for the time.
Jeff

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Hey Guys,
I'm considering these speakers real soon, crossed over to the new Legend sub which is amazing for the price as are the the EMP's. I wanted to put these speakers about three feet from back of speaker to front wall and about two feet from side walls, do you think I'll lose a lot of the base capabilities of the 55's that far from front and side walls? Thanks for your time, I like to pull my speakers out into the room, my original Athena F2's sound pretty good with this placement, although they are front ported. Do you believe there will be a substantial sound quality improvement with the EMP's over the Athena's. They will be driven by an external amp, the EMO UPA-2 for now, I am sincere with my questions and respect all here at AH who have been honest and to the point with all my queries, again, thank you for the time.
Jeff
I would say they would be a major improvement. I owned the Athena F2's for a few years and they are nice speakers for the money. I also owned the EMP E5Ti's for over a year and thought they were a big improvement over the F2's. Much more detailed in every aspect, they also look much nicer. If you are looking at getting something from the PSB Image line thats what I would go with. I actually just found a pair of PSB Image T55's locally for $450 that I picked up and would easily take them over both the EMP's or Athena's by a long margin. But as you know speaker preference is 100% subjective, I never got that wow factor from the EMP's that I get with the PSB's.

F

farrow099

Audioholic Intern
Just as I'm listing my EMP Impression series on Ebay I notice that EMP released better surrounds, a larger center, and a larger sub.

I've always felt that the center channel in particular was overpowered by the much larger towers. So kudos on finally taking care of that! Bi-Polar surrounds would have been nice way back when...

Oh well, too late to the party for me; I'm already committed to the Aperion Verus Grand line. It simply offers better clarity overall.

E

eddie

Junior Audioholic
Just as I'm listing my EMP Impression series on Ebay I notice that EMP released better surrounds, a larger center, and a larger sub.

I've always felt that the center channel in particular was overpowered by the much larger towers. So kudos on finally taking care of that! Bi-Polar surrounds would have been nice way back when...

Oh well, too late to the party for me; I'm already committed to the Aperion Verus Grand line. It simply offers better clarity overall.
Have you actually heard them both and compared them? If so, do you think for the money the EMP's are still pretty good, even when compared to the Aperions?

F

farrow099

Audioholic Intern
Yes, I've had the EMP Impression and Aperion Verus Grand in an A/B arrangement.

The Aperion's offer better clarity. They can easily handle more instruments (or voices) simultaneously. Though I should mention that I've had various problems with my Aperion orders. Most recently the center I received produced little to no bass; I suspect one of the woofers was out of phase. I'm currently waiting for the replacement to arrive.

The EMP's sound cheaper when directly compared. You can tell that sounds are being blurred together upon direct comparison. Vocals are more easily lost in the background on the EMP's as well. Though i noticed the new larger center has a different crossover design, perhaps it offers better clarity?

The EMP's are still a killer deal at the price. It would be hard to tell the difference based on memory alone. (A\B is the best way to compare them) I should mention the EMP's are a bit esoteric and thus have a low resale value. I've had zero offers for my EMP setup after a week on ebay.

Last edited:
C

Calvin Hobbes

Audioholic Intern
The e55 ti's cost $100 more per pair than the Verus bookshelf speakers with stands. The footprint is pretty much the same. The e55 will walk all over the book shelves if set up correctly. The weak link to the e55's are the three woofers. If crossed over too low, or if some type of dynamic EQ is used with music they will sound a little muddy on the low end. These speakers blend very well with a good sub.

Set up is crucial as well as toeing in the towers. The center channel does not work well above the tv, esp if there is diffraction from the television. It will sound weak and muddy. For the price the Impression 5.0 with a good sub and set up correctly will rival many more expensive set ups that are recommended on Audioholics.

When used as a 2.1 configuration, whether listening to Symphonic music, Jazz or hard rock, the sound that can be wrung out of this set up will absolutely astound you!

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, I've had the EMP Impression and Aperion Verus Grand in an A/B arrangement.

The Aperion's offer better clarity. They can easily handle more instruments (or voices) simultaneously. Though I should mention that I've had various problems with my Aperion orders. Most recently the center I received produced little to no bass; I suspect one of the woofers was out of phase. I'm currently waiting for the replacement to arrive.

The EMP's sound cheaper when directly compared. You can tell that sounds are being blurred together upon direct comparison. Vocals are more easily lost in the background on the EMP's as well. Though i noticed the new larger center has a different crossover design, perhaps it offers better clarity?

The EMP's are still a killer deal at the price. It would be hard to tell the difference based on memory alone. (A\B is the best way to compare them) I should mention the EMP's are a bit esoteric and thus have a low resale value. I've had zero offers for my EMP setup after a week on ebay.
You thought the Verus Grand Bookshelves sounded better than the e55ti towers with lots of stuff going? Or the Verus Grand Towers?

If crossed over too low, or if some type of dynamic EQ is used with music they will sound a little muddy on the low end. These speakers blend very well with a good sub.
I suspect there's some minor cabinet resonance in the roughly 150-200hz region. I can't say with any sureness but I do want to open up my e55tis and give them the "alex treatment". I just don't have the right screwdriver bit =_=; Also, room effects are pretty dominant in the 40hz to 300hz region too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis